1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fitting larger spare under the bed

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by jjgecko, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Jun 15, 2007 at 6:01 PM
    jjgecko

jjgecko [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner SR5
    Leer 180 cap PopNLock electric tailgate lock
    Hi guys,

I've got a 98 Tacoma 2WD with a Fabtech lift kit and just got around to getting a new spare tire. It's 30x9.50x15. The stock T bar that's underneath the bed and which normally holds the spare in place is too small to hook through the center hole in the new spare! I still want to mount it underneath the bed.

Any ideas for a fix?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Jun 16, 2007 at 4:11 AM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    I'd guess you could go with a really large fender washer. Heavy marine (not little power boats) or construction applications might be a source to find something like this, or just cut down a piece of scrap steel, you can usually get a small piece from your local scrap yard. In either case I'd then cover your new adapter plate with the foam tape that you'd put on the bed rails if you installed a cap (available from your local truck center) to prevent the new plate from scratching the new wheel.

You will likely run into another problem in that the cradle that is up there will probably accept a larger tire without some modification either, though that should be as simple as cutting one or both of the tabs off and smoothing the edges so as not to damage the tire.

3. Jun 16, 2007 at 10:07 AM
    jjgecko

jjgecko [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner SR5
    Thanks for the response. I'll give that a try. The tire looks like it will just fit with about 1" clearance from the exhaust pipe though. Any chance that the heat from the pipe will damage the tire?

4. Jun 17, 2007 at 8:44 PM
    jjgecko

jjgecko [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner SR5
    Here's how I solved this. I found a pulley at an auto parts store and it had a center hole that was big enough to work the existing T-bar though and then hook it on either side of the hole (basically acting as a giant washer). The pulley fits underneath the rim with the original T-bar and the wire hanging from underneath the bed. I then jacked up the tire and wound the wire tight. There was still a little play in the tire (since it doesn't fit in exactly the same way as the original tire), so I secured it with a tie-down, attaching this to the frame underneath the truck. There seems to be decent clearance from the exhaust pipe as well as any other critical parts.

I'll be checking it often at first, to make sure everything is staying tight. Thanks for the input!

5. Jul 9, 2007 at 7:21 AM
    1ToughTaco

1ToughTaco Member

Member:
    The Dirty South
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4.0L/V6
    Toyota Bed Extender, Roof Rack, Pop & Lock Tailgate Lock, Window Tint, Husky Front and Rear Floor Liner, Cabela's TrailGear Seat Covers
    so how's your mod working out? Any issues with the larger spare near the exhaust?

6. Jul 13, 2007 at 7:48 PM
    jjgecko

jjgecko [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner SR5
    It still seems to be working well. The pulley/tie down arrangement doesn't keep the tire perfectly still, but it seems to be keeping it far enough away from the exhaust pipe so there aren't any problems. It's great having the correct size spare and the bed space! Makes trucking my GSXR and the ramp and gear much easier... :D

Products Discussed in

To Top