Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Question for those who cut their fenders & cab mounts to clear bigger tires

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
Bobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Bobber Bill's Tacoma Gallery
Question for those who cut their fenders & cab mounts to clear bigger tires

After you cut into your cab mounts, did you box them back up with some 10 ga. sheet?

Did you guys lift the body off and remove the bushings before welding?

I don't want to expose the cab mount bushings to all that heat from the TIG, but I don't exactly have a way of lifting the entire body off the frame either.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
Didn't lift the body and welded a plate back after the chop. A year later and everything is still fine.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
Bobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Bobber Bill's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrimm View Post
Didn't lift the body and welded a plate back after the chop. A year later and everything is still fine.
Sweet. Good to hear. That's a pretty serious rig you've got there. I wonder if any of this morning's rain made its way to the Main Divide. I've got some brand new A/T's that need dirtying

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
Weld slow and take your time, do not allow the metal to overheat or you will cook the bushings
Ya, I'll just go back and forth with 1 inch beads

Other than that, gotta make sure that I cut enough out to clear when the front's tucked