cracks????

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-04-2008, 08:20 AM   #1
Slow is on a distinguished road

Army: Gun-Bunny
Slow's Tacoma Gallery
Question cracks????

Morning,
Attention tire guys or those that honestly know about tires, as my son rides in this truck often.

I have a 2004 TRD. Has 34,000 miles with original BFGS on it. Bought from my father-in-law about 6 months ago. It was his extra vehicle and it sat in the back yard a lot.

My question: First, tires have about 1/4 inch of thread left, maybe less and the side walls are okay, but if you look in between the treads...there is cracking everywhere? Second, is this dry-rot and is it not safe????
Old 11-04-2008, 08:35 AM   #2

Slow's Tacoma Gallery
bump
Old 11-04-2008, 08:42 AM   #4
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
I worked in a tire shop out of high school and we saw cracked tires all the time. Does it loose air? As far as the safety side of it I cannot say without seeing it. If you are in doubt take it to a tire shop and have them look at it and maybe replace it. However be warned once the tire shop knows you have concerns about the tire be prepared for some pressure sales. Let us know

-Dan
Old 11-04-2008, 08:58 AM   #5

Slow's Tacoma Gallery
I plan to stop by tire shop tomorrow after work. I know the tire shop will, of course, say "YES" you need new tires. Just looking for some honest input from TW.

Thanks
Old 11-04-2008, 09:07 AM   #6
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

it hard to say without seeing the tire. It would to me depend on the amount of cracking, severity of the cracking, and the overall apperance of the tire. Is it worn unevenly, or just has the look of a tire that needs replacement. This is unfortunatly a judgment call.

-Dan
Old 11-04-2008, 09:15 AM   #7
Runs with Scissors
Radelix has a spectacular aura aboutRadelix has a spectacular aura about

Radelix's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Radelix
If the tires are dried out it would be best to replace them or use them for in town type driving. Had too many problems with old tires. if in doubt get em checked and replaced
Old 11-04-2008, 01:42 PM   #9
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David Tarantino's Tacoma Gallery
jenster iwas lookung at your pics where did you get the mount
for your gps
Slow post a pic of the tires i have worked with tires for 25 yrs
happy to help get the dot no# from the tires
Old 11-04-2008, 01:51 PM   #10
Revived and BACK baby!
joedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant future

Army: Squad Automatic Rifleman, 29th Light Infantry
joedirt's Tacoma Gallery
I would replace the tires if I were you. I used to have the same problem with the tires on my motorcycles, except the cracks would be in the sidewalls. Of course I didn't ride them very much. In your case since the truck sat idle for a long time, it may be dry rot.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:17 PM   #11

Slow's Tacoma Gallery
Cool pics

here are some pictures...sorry, taken with cell phone.
Attached Thumbnails
cracks????-tire1.jpg   cracks????-tire2.jpg  
Old 11-04-2008, 02:25 PM   #12
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David Tarantino's Tacoma Gallery
sorry cant tell from the pics but it looks like
theres not much tire life there anyway
just them replace them to be safe
Old 11-04-2008, 02:29 PM   #13
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tarantino View Post
sorry cant tell from the pics but it looks like
theres not much tire life there anyway
just them replace them to be safe
+1 , I would just replace them and be done with it. The tires look to be at the end of thier life anyway.

-Dan
Old 11-26-2008, 07:20 AM   #14

Slow's Tacoma Gallery
Final outcome:
BFG stepped up...they were awsome to work with. They had me go to America's Tire Center (authorized dist) for inspection. We then called BFG together...BFG agreed with my safety concerns and agreed to pay for 50% of a new set of tires, any size or brand!!!! Wow, a company that actually stands by their warranty, even in these hard times. What a concept.