Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

I tried search but didn't find anything. 16" vs 17" wheels

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-11-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
I tried search but didn't find anything. 16" vs 17" wheels

What would be the advantage of either?

-OR-

Why would a person choose one over the other?

2nd gen AC.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Well the larger rim looks cooler but it will ride rougher since there is less sidewall.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
KingMoo is on a distinguished road
KingMoo's Tacoma Gallery
looks.

cost?
Old 10-11-2011, 04:09 PM   #4
Duae Rotarum per Sempre
canyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Dave
canyonchaser's Tacoma Gallery
I'm swapping down from 17's to 16's because 16" tires are quite a bit cheaper

dp
Old 10-11-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Another reason someone would go with 17s is if they were going with larger brakes.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:16 PM   #6
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
17s less likely to have brake caliper clearance issues.

Lower profile series 17" tires will handle a little crisper on the street.

Higher profile series 16" tires will protect the rim a little better and be able to air down a little lower to a slightly larger contact patch for offroad.

It's not a big difference either way.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:41 PM   #7
S.S.T. is on a distinguished road
S.S.T.'s Tacoma Gallery
Something to consider is what tires come in what load range. For instance if you wanted Load D KM2s in a 285: 285/75r16 come in load E only and 285/70r17 come in load D only.

All the aforementioned are also true.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:19 PM   #8
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S.T. View Post
Something to consider is what tires come in what load range. For instance if you wanted Load D KM2s in a 285: 285/75r16 come in load E only and 285/70r17 come in load D only.

Okay I'm a virgin to all this load stuff. I've had this truck for as long as 3,000 miles and I truly don't understand what you are saying here. Please explain?

The tire size I was looking at was 265/70R/17 on 17x9.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:21 PM   #9
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
Okay I'm a virgin to all this load stuff. I've had this truck for as long as 3,000 miles and I truly don't understand what you are saying here. Please explain?

The tire size I was looking at was 265/70R/17 on 17x9.
Load range means how much weight one tire can handle. To add load range the compound is made harder and/or more layers are added but this makes the tire stiff which makes for a crappy ride.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Load range means how much weight one tire can handle. To add load range the compound is made harder and/or more layers are added but this makes the tire stiff which makes for a crappy ride.

OoooooOOooooOooo I get it now!!! Thanks!

(So how do I know what load I need?)
Old 10-11-2011, 08:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw View Post
you will want a d load range thats what most people have

So which is softer with less layers, D or E? Oh wait. So is D softer because if the larger tires have D, that means less sidewall which means they are stiffer from the get go, right?
Old 10-11-2011, 08:26 PM   #13
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
Some guys running LT had some issues rubbing their UCAs on the inside of the 16" rims. Thats why I went with a 17. 16's are definitely cheaper tires.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:30 PM   #15

Kewl link, Whipper. Thanky.

So back to wheel size. So most feel that 16s can or might be risky in regards to brakes. So me going 17 would be best, right?
Old 10-11-2011, 08:32 PM   #16
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S.T. View Post

Just be sure not to generalize this.

Generally, tires for 17" rims are going to be a higher load rating and ride rougher because of it. Tires for 16" rims are generally going to be a lower load rating and ride a little better because of it.

I had MTZ's on my 2007 Sport, 17" rims, and they were Load Range E. If I had 16" rims, I could have gotten them in Load Range D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
So which is softer with less layers, D or E? Oh wait. So is D softer because if the larger tires have D, that means less sidewall which means they are stiffer from the get go, right?
D is going to be softer simply because of tire construction; they're not designed to take as much weight, so they don't need to be as rigid.

The more sidewall you have the better, regardless of the tire rating.

Fink
Old 10-11-2011, 08:37 PM   #17
4Runner guy
Ripcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
Ripcord's Tacoma Gallery
I went up from 16's to 17's for brake clearance on the tundra brakes. 17 is the absolute max I would go.

I have 285/70/17 D Duractracs and it rides just fine, I noticed a bit of a difference from the D rated 285's and 16's, but not much.

I don't ever plan to get E's though, always hear people complaining about them riding stiff.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #18
SSS
oneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: SSS
oneBIGroom's Tacoma Gallery
17s look cooler, less sidewall so it may ride rougher than 16s, but doubt it'd noticeable. 17s may cost a little more, be wider, or have different offset.