1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rugged Fails

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by TRDsport253, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Oct 21, 2011 at 3:04 AM
    TRDsport253

TRDsport253 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edgewood, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD sport 4x4
    TRD Wheels TRD Skid plate
    Does siping the Rugged Fails makes it any better?

2. Oct 21, 2011 at 4:17 AM
    TRDsport253

TRDsport253 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edgewood, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD sport 4x4
    TRD Wheels TRD Skid plate
    They guys at discount tire was talking me into getting the rugged trails over bfg all terrain. He said siping the rugged trail would make it better. Lmao

3. Oct 21, 2011 at 4:26 AM
    Dmonkey

Dmonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Branden
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    VZN159L (2002 DC)
    Eibach height adjust shocks in front, KYB monomax shocks in the back. Stock springs front and back. Level 8 MK6 10mm offset wheels on Cooper ATP tires (stock size)
    Go ATs. end of story

4. Oct 21, 2011 at 4:47 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    On the other hand, my luck with the Rugged Trails has been very good...and the last two vehicles I put them on, the vehicles wore out before the tires did...excellent rib type, high mileage highway tire. However, not well suited for off road use.

One of the vehicles was a 90 Chevy conversion van I put 1 ton axles and suspension under, got 40k out of the rugged trails before the engine let go, the other was a 97 Pathfinder and got 60k out of the tires before we traded on a new Mazda 3 five door.

Howard

5. Oct 21, 2011 at 5:55 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    My experience is that the Rugged Trails do good on heavier vehicles, but not on light vehicles. I have seen them on F-250s and even on Tundras where they held up good and had good traction, but on my 1st gen they were crap. Just a little dampness on the road and they had no traction. I had two occasions where I slid right accross intersections at red lights and it was not even raining; just wet from earlier sprinkle. I am not even an aggressive driver. I also did not get more than 30,000 miles on a set. I had a "free tires for life" deal when I bought my truck. The problem is that they only replace with the original tires, so I could not change it. After my second set of the Rugged Trails I said screw the " free tires for life " deal that is gonna cost my life and I went and bought my own tires (Nitto Terra Grapplers).
    However, it is my understanding that the Rugged Trails are not available anymore. They have been replaced by Rugged Terrains, which have hopefully solved the problems they had.

Products Discussed in

To Top