Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Calibrating speedo for new tires?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-07-2008, 07:19 AM   #1
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^
Packman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Packman73's Tacoma Gallery
Calibrating speedo for new tires?

I bought my truck as-is with the lift and larger tires. Is there a device that calibrates the speedometer? If so, how can I tell if I have one or that my speed is my actual speed without having the wife drive next to me on the highway? Thanks.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:21 AM   #2
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Hypertech makes an inline calibrator for our trucks - haven't used it or know too much about it.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:14 AM   #6
das56170 is on a distinguished road
Marines: 1st Lieutenant
das56170's Tacoma Gallery
I have the hypertech inline speedometer calibrator in my truck. It plugs in behind the speedometer. It takes a couple of minutes to hook up to your computer and enter the old and new tire sizes. Then it plugs in pretty easily. The only pain in the ass was taking the dash apart...and even that was pretty easy.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:16 AM   #7
The Reasonable One
myrcrocks is on a distinguished road
myrcrocks's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to myrcrocks
So both of these units (Hypertech and Scanguage) will re-calibrate the speedo? What about the odometer? Approximate cost on each unit?
Old 11-07-2008, 08:22 AM   #8
das56170 is on a distinguished road
Marines: 1st Lieutenant
das56170's Tacoma Gallery
The scangauge will display your correct speed, but I don't think it will actually change your speedometer. The hypertech unit will adjust the speedometer and odometer. But, it is expensive: about $230

http://www.jegs.com/p/Hypertech/1026990/10002/-1
Old 11-07-2008, 08:32 AM   #9
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by das56170 View Post
The scangauge will display your correct speed, but I don't think it will actually change your speedometer. The hypertech unit will adjust the speedometer and odometer. But, it is expensive: about $230

http://www.jegs.com/p/Hypertech/1026990/10002/-1
+1. The scangauge only display information, however it's not just speed. It does ALL SORTS of stuff too! About $150-ish.

I might look in to the hypertech if, for no other reason, to keep my odometer pretty dang close.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:35 AM   #10
The Reasonable One
myrcrocks is on a distinguished road
myrcrocks's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to myrcrocks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Wilkerson View Post
I might look in to the hypertech if, for no other reason, to keep my odometer pretty dang close.
This is what I'm thinking...
Old 11-07-2008, 08:53 AM   #11
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^
Packman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Packman73's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info. I'm assuming my speed is off.
So, if I'm running oversized tires, does that mean that the odometer is recording less miles than the truck has actually traveled?
Old 11-07-2008, 09:06 AM   #12
MyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
So, if I'm running oversized tires, does that mean that the odometer is recording less miles than the truck has actually traveled?
I have 33's and according to my Scangauge the the odo is is reading correctly. Oddly the speedo still reads 2-3 mph fast
Old 11-07-2008, 09:10 AM   #13
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
yes -- assuming there isn't a speedo recalibrator installed.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:51 PM   #15
boogie is on a distinguished road
boogie's Tacoma Gallery
FWIW....I recently put 35x12.5 x17's on my 05DC with a 6" lift. When my spedo showed 65mph my garmin showed 74mph.

The 35's rubbed so badly I took the truck back to the installer and had them replaced with 33x12.5's.

With the 33's the spedo and the garmin are almost in total agreement.