Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Strange suspension/tire issue perhaps?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-07-2008, 11:23 AM   #1
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Strange suspension/tire issue perhaps?

So, ever since day 1 my truck's basically been a vibrating mess. Toyota refuse to do jack about it, and finally I had discount tire return the original bfg RT's under warrenty. I grabbed some BFG AT KO's (which I had on my ranger and loved), and it's significantly improved. The worst part with the RT's was at 70mph+ the wheel would literally travel about 1.5" side to side rapidly. Now with the AT's, the wheel doesn't move anymore than the rest of the truck. I've been on the fense if it's just an offroad suspension causing it... but even extremely smooth roads it's doing it on, and at any speed (even about 3mph). Yesterday I went out for a little pre-runner trail action on FR143/Oso Rd near Roosevelt Lake off 188 (FR goes to 87). Truck did extremely well, but there was something that was bugging me. The front suspension seemed to be "loose" as in it would completely loose all feedback and 'cluck' sort of. between that it'd be extremely tight, great feedback, suspension travel felt great.... truck was extremely stable.

Just wondering if this is fairly normal and something I'm not used to (keep in mind this is really my first time dealing with anything like this, always been more of a performance car guy), or if there might be something legitametly wrong here. I also have the vibration on acceleration which, from search seems to be the carrier bearing (and makes sense to me). So, I'm mixed as to if that might be causing it all, or something else. Only other thing is I bumepd up the tire hieght to 265/70/R16 instead of 65... but doubt that shouldn't have any affect on the driveshaft height....

Correction, that was FR524... guess I got confused and got on the wrong one. At least that explains why the trail got a little rougher than I expected lol....
Old 11-07-2008, 12:06 PM   #3
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

last week when the tires were installed. Tires have about 400mi on them... if that. (only because of the recent trip to roosevelt)

Alignment... I find it hard to believe it would need it at 7300 miles. The dealer "verified" it last at about 500 miles before they 'gave up' on the issue.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:33 PM   #5
Iron Beard

265/70/R16 on stock TRD rims/suspension. Tires are pretty much brand new... just took them out to Tonto again today, do great out on the trails but this vibration issue in the front left is driving me insane on the tarmac. I'll take them in to get them rebalanced... might get the 'add a leaf' TSB done so I get a free alignment out of the deal too lol... What sucks is, issues like this is exactly what made me pull the trigger on my last car... Oh well, I know it won't be perfect and smooth... I expect a rough ride but on rubberized asphalt on the newly paved freeways I expect it to not make opening a pepsi an explosive adventure...
Old 11-07-2008, 10:41 PM   #6
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
off topic but did you go all the way over four peaks? how was the trail??
Old 11-07-2008, 10:58 PM   #7
Iron Beard

It was awesome and fun man, perfect for a pre-runner like mine. I didn't go all the way to the top of course... just stayed on the FR 143 (El Oso Rd near Roosevelt). Few pics, gives you an idea of how close to 4 peaks and road conditions... Didn't get many good pics with the rougher parts of the road but it gets fairly rocky and gotta go slow. Well you don't have to but I still try to treat her right. Funniest thing in the world was... on the way down (roosevelt side) near the end... some dumbass was trying to take an Altima through it at 17:40 (No light about 18:15). Now, granted it's not the roughest road/trail at all but there were spots were even I had doubts with a pre-runner later on. There were several burried rocks and such that would tear that car to shreds earlier on. Up to the point he was though, it was actually a very casual drive down (good as it was getting dark). I wish I got a pic... neither myself nor roomie could figure that one out.

And a ref point if you know where it's at... the com tower

Old 11-07-2008, 11:00 PM   #8
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
looks awesome man... I've done some hunting out there but have always wanted to drive over to 87
Old 11-07-2008, 11:07 PM   #9
Iron Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoNut View Post
looks awesome man... I've done some hunting out there but have always wanted to drive over to 87
I tried to do it yesterday but I took the wrong trail. I read about this trail was good for pre-runners and figured why not. I ended up trying FR524 I think it is... was getting farther and farther in it like... man this is kinda risky for a 2wd. Got to a point it started getting really narrow, lots of shrubs to cause some az pin stripes, sharp edges on the side while narrow... Probably could have continued but being I was alone with no passanger and no other vehicles to assist if getting stuck... turned around and hit the tarmac. Got home and did some google searching on it... ATV & bike enthusiests were saying the trail was on the extreme side... lol.

Only pic I got from this (T-mobile G1 cam phone with no flash, was late...), doesn't show the trail really but you can *kinda* see it in the background...