Notices

OEM Lug Nut Sleeve separation issue

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-22-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
CQB 1911 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jesse
CQB 1911's Tacoma Gallery
OEM Lug Nut Sleeve separation issue

I have an 2010 off road I bought last month. It has 13k miles on it now and it has the OEM wheels. I rotated my tires today. I noticed that a couple of the lug nuts tightened down on the studs fine but I can feel a little play between what seems to be a chrome "sleeve" on the lugs and the lug it self.

Is this common and will this cause any issues now or down the road?
Old 10-22-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
Chainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shedChainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shedChainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shedChainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shedChainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shedChainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shedChainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shedChainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shedChainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shedChainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shedChainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ed
Chainsmoker's Tacoma Gallery
This is common. Usually on older Lugs tho. once the sleeve comes off the lug is just the next smaller size. if you try to use the factory wrench you will strip the lugs.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
Chainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shedChainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shedChainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shedChainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shedChainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shedChainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shedChainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shedChainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shedChainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shedChainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shedChainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I would just go get some new ones. they are cheep. just don't get the same style with that stupid sleeve.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsmoker View Post
I would just go get some new ones. they are cheep. just don't get the same style with that stupid sleeve.
Cool - Thanks
Would you happen to know the specs for the lugs?
Old 10-22-2011, 03:50 PM   #5
No. I dont sorry. just head over to an auto parts store, they should be able to tell you. Oh and aluminum and steel wheels use different style lugs. just take one of yours off to match.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:52 PM   #6
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CQB 1911 View Post
Cool - Thanks
Would you happen to know the specs for the lugs?
Thread and pitch is 12x1.5.

And are you talking about the washer on the lug being loose?
Old 10-22-2011, 03:55 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Thread and pitch is 12x1.5.

And are you talking about the washer on the lug being loose?
I think he is referring to the chrome sleeve over the lug nut.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I think he is referring to the chrome sleeve over the lug nut.
Ah, i did not realize they actually have a sleeve on them. I assumed they were just chrome plated on the base metal.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #9

I know right... Chrome sleeves - really!!! Sometimes Toyota really makes me wounder what the fuck there thinking.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:13 PM   #10
Yea the have a crimped sleeve around them. they really suck. when they come loos they gut stuck inside your wrench and if you attempt to use the same size socket you strip them.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:14 PM   #11
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yea the have a crimped sleeve around them. they really suck. when they come loos they gut stuck inside your wrench and if you attempt to use the same size socket you strip them.
Wow, I have aftermarket lugs so I never knew. That sucks.