1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheels Work (I've searched)

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by sloppyjoe, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Oct 26, 2011 at 11:24 AM
    sloppyjoe

sloppyjoe [OP] They are more like guide lines.

Member:
    All Over
    Vehicle:
    Silver and simple
    Non
    I have been going over all of the posts I can find about painting/ plasti dipping wheels. I have the Sport Alloy wheels, and the write ups I found were not a specific as I would like. Is there anyone who has done the Painting wheels mod to their alloy sport wheels, that can tell me exactly what they used (ie brand of paint, and what type of primers? Self etching vs. regular)? I want to so this, as I have a black theme going on , but I like the factory wheels and offset. I have the OME heavy lift with an ARB and a black camper top, as well as bushwackers, so the wheels and the black factory rear bumper is all I lack to have it set up the way I want it. I plan on doing this job on Sat. so if anyone can help me or direct me in the correct direction that would be super! As I mentioned I did read the other posts when I search, but one of them is on steel wheels and I know steel is different than alloy when it comes to coating it with certain things. The steel wheel write up was great and I found the one where someone does the alloy sports (the one with his son helping him), but he just stated he used primer, so I would like to know what kind of primer do I NEED to make it adhere well enough to stay on the wheel as good as possible. I do understand it is essentially paint so it will fade and chip, but to me that is the beauty of the rattel can mod, it can be re-done anytime on the cheap, and it honestly looks pretty good. I once painted a whole XJ with spray cans, and ppl always asked if I had it painted, and my answer was nope :D It is all in the prep to me, I took a whole day to prep the truck and the next day painting it, turn out great. Well I will stand by for some of the wisdom from the TW members! Thanks in advance for any help! JOE>

2. Jul 25, 2012 at 5:18 PM
    Av8er

Av8er Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Formaly Houston, now Tampa, FL.
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner SR5/TRD DC, LB, w/ Tow
    So what did you do?

3. Jul 25, 2012 at 5:41 PM
    Aku

Aku Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Sport Stormtooper
    SnugTop Sport, Weathertec mats
    I have some 17" sport alloy wheels that I recently had powder coated. They already had the rubber off, so the guy only charged me 300$ total ( for the lugs too ). I havent put them on yet because Im waiting until I get a lift.

I have a friend who just rattle can'd his 4runners rims flat black and they look pretty good.

Products Discussed in

To Top