1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

hubcentric, lugcentric. SO confusing.

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by TacomaPrime, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Oct 26, 2011 at 1:41 PM
    TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime [OP] Cybertronian Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD sport 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.
    So I've heard many different things on this. I always understood that if your factory wheels are hubcentric, you either have to get wheels with the same hub bore, or if you get lugcentric wheels, you need a ring for the hub?

Is that correct, or do you only need a hub ring if you get new wheels that have a bigger hub bore then the factory ones?

What is the difference if your factory wheels are hubcentric, but your aftermarket ones are lugcentric? Will that make you more prone to driveline vibes?

Also, if I get lugcentric aftermarket wheels, do I have to get tapered lugnuts? Or do I only need those if I get hubcentric wheels?

I'm looking at the wheelers offroad wheels, so will get the lugnuts he sells for those, but in case I change my mind or for other people who are wondering.

2. Oct 26, 2011 at 1:49 PM
    Sheppymach

Sheppymach Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sheppy
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner trail edition
    BLU LOGIC bt, avid, weather tech mats & rain guards, 285/70/17, BenWA's totally AWESOME power sliding window mod.
    hub centric drives off the ring so it cant be off, lug centric is the cone on each lug nut and if you put the first on off a little the rest will follow

the ring is for aftermarket wheel with a big hole in center and you get the right size ring for what your hub is. you dont need a ring with the lug centric because the lugs "should" center the rim.

as long as you take your time the lug centric should be centered. I just snug each one up little at a time then torque to spec.

3. Oct 26, 2011 at 1:50 PM
    Sheppymach

Sheppymach Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sheppy
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner trail edition
    BLU LOGIC bt, avid, weather tech mats & rain guards, 285/70/17, BenWA's totally AWESOME power sliding window mod.
    heres my hub centric specers
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Oct 27, 2011 at 5:43 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    If your wheels are lug-centric, extended-thread lugs will help center the wheel better than standard conical seat lugs.

5. Oct 27, 2011 at 5:49 AM
    TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime [OP] Cybertronian Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD sport 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.
    What are the black lugs here? It says they are acorn style, that's the right type, correct.

6. Oct 27, 2011 at 5:56 AM
    TexasTacoma37

Member:
    They are regular acorn-style, aka concial seat.

If you have lug centric rims and are worried about them not being centered, the "e/t" style conical seat lugs, with an extra shank, will help. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Jan 30, 2012 at 4:28 AM
    Mytaco09

Mytaco09 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Supercharged
    TRD Supercharger, billet grill, Toytec ULK on the front with AllPro Expos bringing up the rear, a work in progress
    Hey I hope this isn't too off topic for this thread but I think it is sorta relevent here. The wheels I want to buy from Fuel Offroad can be made in several different configurations and sometimes when there is too much choice it gets more confusing. I can get them with a center bore(which i assume is the same as hub size?) of either 108mm or 106.4mm and some people on here from what I have read say the 2005+ Tacoma's are 106mm hub and others say 108mm. What should I order these rims in? Thanks.

8. Jan 30, 2012 at 8:34 AM
    TexasTacoma37

Member:
    Yeah I've heard different numbers too. First, I'd ask the company you are buying from which to get. Also, I'd take off one of your wheels and measure the hubs yourself.

Products Discussed in

To Top