LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

General Grabber AT2's, Firestone Dest. AT, or Goodyear Wrangler Authority?

View Poll Results: Which Tire?
Goodyear Wrangler Authority AT 6 17.14%
Firestone Destination AT 5 14.29%
General Grabber AT2 24 68.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
TacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gus
TacomaGus's Tacoma Gallery
General Grabber AT2's, Firestone Dest. AT, or Goodyear Wrangler Authority?

I will be purchasing new tires in about a month or so to prepare for winter, as the current yoko HTs that the dealership put on, although brand new, can't even hold traction on wet roads so who knows on snowy ones. I like the aggressive look of the authorities but worried about the whole walmart thing haha, and the Firestones and Generals both have good reviews on here and tire rack (which is where i'd get either)

Getting them in 265/70 17
Old 11-15-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
black_magic2010 is on a distinguished road

Army: 644th Transcompany/1st I.D.
black_magic2010's Tacoma Gallery
I currently have the yoko geolander a/t s on my Chevy and its an awesome tire even in the rain. I use to have another set of tires before the yoko and I was terrified to drive on wet roads. All changed when I got the geolander a/t s. When I drive in the rain it feels like I'm on dry asphalt. Last time I remember it was raining so hard I could see maybe a few car lengths in front of me and I'm doing 80 MPH..Truck felt like it was glued to the ground. Tire wears great too..I've got about 40 k on the tires and the tread looks great. Will be replacing the tacos stock crappy duelers with the geolander as soon as i get the cash..bottom line geolander a/t s is a great tire.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:25 AM   #4
chandler913 is on a distinguished road
Name: Zac
chandler913's Tacoma Gallery
I'm on my 2nd set of Authority AT's. I LOVE them! They get a bad wrap cause they are only sold at Wallyworld. I was very hesitant about initially getting them just because of that fact, but after driving them for a while, I can't say anything bad about them. I don't go rock crawling or anything like that, but on the off-road trails, snow, and just driving around in the back county I think the do great. And the price doesn't hurt either.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:28 AM   #5
Pay it Forward
Graham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant future

Graham's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Firestone Dest and they have been great in the winter here in Western NY. I travel rough back roads that see minimal plowing. Never had an issue.

Here's a pic from last winter with them on.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
alexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud of
Name: Eric
alexander323bc's Tacoma Gallery
Graham where in western new york are you? I am in olean
Old 11-15-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
berg2065 is on a distinguished road
berg2065's Tacoma Gallery
the goodyears get my vote...if you haul or tow..even better that they are load range C
Old 11-15-2011, 12:56 PM   #9
TacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_magic2010 View Post
I currently have the yoko geolander a/t s on my Chevy and its an awesome tire even in the rain. I use to have another set of tires before the yoko and I was terrified to drive on wet roads. All changed when I got the geolander a/t s. When I drive in the rain it feels like I'm on dry asphalt. Last time I remember it was raining so hard I could see maybe a few car lengths in front of me and I'm doing 80 MPH..Truck felt like it was glued to the ground. Tire wears great too..I've got about 40 k on the tires and the tread looks great. Will be replacing the tacos stock crappy duelers with the geolander as soon as i get the cash..bottom line geolander a/t s is a great tire.
yes but i have the Geolander HTs and they blow, bad haha
Old 11-15-2011, 01:03 PM   #10
black_magic2010 is on a distinguished road

Army: 644th Transcompany/1st I.D.
black_magic2010's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaGus View Post
yes but i have the Geolander HTs and they blow, bad haha
Yup I noticed a difference in the reviews on tire rack between the HT and the AT. Well its your call but the AT should be one of your choices.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:11 PM   #11
jackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jackhart's Tacoma Gallery
i know it isn't a choice on this poll, but i just bought the hankook dynapro atm rf10's on the recommendation of numerous members on this board. i live in central ny (finger lakes region) and we get our fair share of snow and sleet here so i can't fool around with bad weather. after doing my research, i couldn't find anyone who didn't rave about them. so i bought em.

that being said, of the choices you listed, i would probably go with the firestone destination. my father in law has a set on his full size pu, and they do just fine in the bad stuff, plus they look the best/most aggressive of the 3 you listed.

but i'd still take a hard look at the hankook's. there's just too many people who love that tire...good luck with your choice.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:02 AM   #13
jackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jackhart's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yea i've heard good things about the Hankooks despite the poor reviews on tire rack...
i don't see any reviews for the dynapro atm rf10's on the tire rack. are you sure you were looking at the right dynapros? the dynapro rf10's are not listed for sale, just the dynapro rf8, which is a completely different tire.

but check out the pages and pages of positive reviews at discount tire:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...naPro+ATM+RF10
Old 11-16-2011, 06:48 AM   #15
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
I have been looking for new tires myself. My vote is for the General Grabbers. But for my size you can't find the damn things! Everywhere I look on back order. So not sure if you will have a problem finding them. I'm looking at Nitto Terra Grappler AT now. A little more in price, but have heard good things about them. I want a good all terrain for snow mostly. Keep us posted on what you end with and how they are.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:59 AM   #16
Johnny M50 will become famous soon enough

Name: John
Johnny M50's Tacoma Gallery
I have General Grabbers, HT's on wife's 4RUNNER and AT's on the Taco. So far they have been excellent in snow, mud and in sand (deflated). I've had em 2 and 1 yr now. The AT's did cut down milage, yet only 1/2 mpg, and are relatively quiet.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:56 AM   #18
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
the only thing i'm worried about is that the grabbers in 265/70 17 aren't rated for severe snow, while others are?
Ya I wonder why that is. Same tread, same rubber compund. Maybe its since they are not tall enough to be considered good enough for deep snow? I'm just guessing.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:16 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEVON911 View Post
Ya I wonder why that is. Same tread, same rubber compund. Maybe its since they are not tall enough to be considered good enough for deep snow? I'm just guessing.
ya but there are smaller sizes that are severe snow rated?
Old 11-17-2011, 01:06 PM   #20

well i broke down and got the General Grabber At2's in 265/70/17. Even tho their not severe snow rated, everyone on here has that size and not the e range ones and still loves them, plus 700 shipped wit everything isn't bad. Cheapest place around here to get them is Sears and their still 180 a tire, not including anything