1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BFG Rugged Terrains

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by skippermike, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Nov 21, 2011 at 11:32 AM
    skippermike

skippermike [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4x4 w/off road mods
    3" Icon lift, coilovers, reservoir r. shocks, AAL, Icon UCA, 17" Eagle wheels, extra electrical, inverter, ICOM VHF
    I recently replaced the Toyo A/Ts (after 36,000 miles, including a lot of Baja miles) with the new-design BFG Rugged Terrains in P265/70/17 on our 2008 DCLB 4WD.
    BFG suggests that they are quiet, good in the rain and good off road (though not as capable as the A/Ts).
    We were just down in Baja for the SCORE Baja 1000, as part of the support for an off road race team. To double-check a portion of the course, we drove the coastal portion of the race course including a very steep, rocky uphill climb in Erindera.
    The new Rugged Terrains were great in the sand (seemed to dig in a little less than the more squared-off Toyos), were great in the rocky gullies and on the hill climb. This is in addition to being very smooth riding and quiet on the highway.
    I’d suggest the new BFG Rugged Terrains deserve a look if you need new tires and don’t need/want super aggressive M/T type tires.
    Mike

2. Nov 21, 2011 at 5:25 PM
    lj973gm

lj973gm Sold it, dont miss it yet.

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4wd
    This is one of the tires I am possibly going to purchase, it in the top 3 choices.

No pics?????

Some others have given good reviews just as you have.

Any change in MPG going to the larger size?

I am looking for a good mpg tire and this RT is actually classed as a Highway tread tire but BFG does not give it that good of a fuel efficiency rating on their website.

3. Nov 22, 2011 at 7:27 AM
    skippermike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    3" Icon lift, coilovers, reservoir r. shocks, AAL, Icon UCA, 17" Eagle wheels, extra electrical, inverter, ICOM VHF
    THere are good pictures - better than I could take! - on the BFG site.
    Tread design is interesting. A little more aggresive than my old Toyo ATs, but less aggressive than BFG A/Ts, way less aggressive than M/T-type tires.
    Don't really know on milage yet.
    Again, these are "First Impression" comments - to be fair.
    Good luck.

4. Mar 24, 2012 at 3:51 PM
    Smithers

Smithers Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Orlando Area
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Dbl Cab
    265/70/R16 BFG Rugged Terrains, AFE Pro Dry S Filter
    I have had a set of BFG Rugged Terrains 265/70R16 since beginning of January, have probably put 4,000 miles on them so far. Love the look and performance of tire, but went from 22.5 mpg on stock dunlops down to barely making 21 mpg on most tanks due to the size upgrade and tread design. Great tires though, awesome in wet conditions, haven't off roaded much yet.

5. Mar 24, 2012 at 6:56 PM
    wolf08gang

wolf08gang Member

Member:
    Did you account for the difference in the circumference of the tires when you figured your mpg? A taller tire will show less miles on the odometer than the stock tire, which will change your mpg calculation.

6. Apr 28, 2012 at 11:45 AM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    Any more updates on these ????

NTB gave me a great package price for my Nitto Terra Grapplers BUT then throws out this tire at about $13 @ tire cheaper....tire size is 265/70-16....stock size for me...

This is happening within a week or 2 so "Input" please..

Thank You...

7. Apr 29, 2012 at 8:16 AM
    Smithers

Smithers Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Orlando Area
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Dbl Cab
    265/70/R16 BFG Rugged Terrains, AFE Pro Dry S Filter
    I looked up the tire specs on tirerack.com, and the overall diameter of my stock tires was 30.5" (Dunlop AT20 245/75R16), and the BFG's 265/70R16 diameter is 30.6" (a difference of .1 inches). Not sure how much of a difference that could make on the ODO, but I doubt it could be 1.5 MPG worth on one tank? The decrease in MPG probably came from the increase in width, weight of tire and tread design. But, my tread depth on the old Dunlops was worn down pretty significantly, so maybe that had something to do with it?

@ Snoope: Have about 5000+ miles on these, still going strong, great offroad and ride nice and pretty quiet on the highway for the tread design. Great in wet conditions on the road.

8. Apr 29, 2012 at 10:32 AM
    skippermike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    I now have 8,000+ miles on the 265/70/17 Rugged Terrains.
    Did another trip to Baja for the San Felipe 250. Our pit location was at the top of the dry lake bed. We drove a good length of the lake bed parallel to the race course. The tires did very well in the crusty surface, didn't dig a hole when we broke thru, very good in sand.
    They appear to be wearing very evenly, though I'll rotate at the next oil change, which would be 10,000 miles for the tires.
    No negatives to report.
    Good luck.

Products Discussed in

To Top