Notices

Retread Tires Debate

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-29-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
gacandido2010 is on a distinguished road

Name: Gabriel
gacandido2010's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Retread Tires Debate

Done some research on Treadwright Tires and to me they look alright. Seriously considering them, good price for some offroading tires. In my research i found out FJ users use them alot and are pretty happy with them as well as Jeep MOAB users.

I wanna know what you guys know, studies, links, and personal experiences
Old 11-29-2011, 03:13 PM   #2
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
I have no professional experience with them... but my next set of offload tires will be treadwrights. I did a lot of homework on them, but got scared away last minute...
Old 11-29-2011, 03:16 PM   #3
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I had a set of retreads when I was 16 because it was all I could afford. If you have a little extra money it will be worth it to just buy a new tire.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:18 PM   #4
We can't stop here, this is bat country.
dayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
dayNnite4's Tacoma Gallery
no experience with retreaded tired.. cant be too bad considering truck tired and aircraft tires r usually retraded
Old 11-29-2011, 03:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns Taco View Post
I had a set of retreads when I was 16 because it was all I could afford. If you have a little extra money it will be worth it to just buy a new tire.
Why is that?
Old 11-29-2011, 03:26 PM   #6
My name is Mudd
mcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant future

Name: mike
mcdowell's Tacoma Gallery
Heat is an enemy. Off roading only would be ok but everyday use is sketchy. This opinion is from my truck driving days. Most all trailers are retread and had many come apart. The truck owner would not put them on the rig due to tearing up his equipment when they come apart.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:13 PM   #7

ya my biigest concern is highway driving over 80mph
Old 11-29-2011, 11:39 PM   #8
Master Jedi Member I am...
chad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Chad
chad68's Tacoma Gallery
Have you guys ever seen all the huge chunks of rubber litered all over the sides of Interstates and freeways?

Retreads...

Could you imagine being on a motorcycle and getting hit with a chunk of that crap?

...Waits for mention of that Mythbusters episode...
Old 11-30-2011, 12:27 AM   #9
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gacandido2010 View Post
Done some research on Treadwright Tires and to me they look alright. Seriously considering them, good price for some offroading tires. In my research i found out FJ users use them alot and are pretty happy with them as well as Jeep MOAB users.

I wanna know what you guys know, studies, links, and personal experiences
This has been hashed-around previously. A simple search for Treadwright will point you in the correct direction, including:
- http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...p-bfg-kos.html
- http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...ght-tires.html
Old 11-30-2011, 03:03 AM   #10
anotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shed
anotherreject's Tacoma Gallery
i did my research and im set on getting them. and studies were done on all the treads from 18-wheelers on the highway and half of them were from brand new tires. it seams most of the issues with them blowing out are improper inflation and too heavy of a load.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:08 AM   #11
Street glide or die
yotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
yotamikez's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't listen to any negative comments, from people that dont have them. If you have no first hand experience (you have used them) don't bash them....
Old 11-30-2011, 03:35 AM   #12
jdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jdmdcfan's Tacoma Gallery
18 wheeler's have 4 1/2 times more tires than a regular passenger car, wider surface area touching the road, more load, more hours on the road, 4 1/2 times more room for error. Of course you're gonna see semi tires more often then passenger car tires on the side of the road. by the way, 20% of tires sold in mexico are retreads and they are not made in the same process as semi tires.

10,000 miles and counting with zero problems.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:44 AM   #13
Street glide or die
yotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
yotamikez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmdcfan View Post
18 wheeler's have 4 1/2 times more tires than a regular passenger car, wider surface area touching the road, more load, more hours on the road, 4 1/2 times more room for error. Of course you're gonna see semi tires more often then passenger car tires on the side of the road. by the way, 20% of tires sold in mexico are retreads and they are not made in the same process as semi tires.

10,000 miles and counting with zero problems.

THANK YOU!!!
Old 11-30-2011, 04:12 AM   #14
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherreject View Post
i did my research and im set on getting them. and studies were done on all the treads from 18-wheelers on the highway and half of them were from brand new tires. it seams most of the issues with them blowing out are improper inflation and too heavy of a load.
This

I ran retreads on our box trucks for years and only had one come apart and that was after driving around on it for a week with no air in it.

I have heard no instances of treadwrights failing. There will likely be a set on my truck before winter.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:19 AM   #15
hetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant future
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
I have looked at the treadwrights, and I am not sure that they will REALLY save me that much a tire, once shipping and mounting is added.

Even at $85 a tire, you have to add $25 shipping each and $20 mounting and balancing each, while I was buying the Cooper Discover ST or ATR tires in the 245/70R17 size for $165 locally with mounting and balancing. So if it comes down to a $30 price differential between a new and a retread, I will go with a new tire.

Now, if I could get the tires retreaded LOCALLY and have no shipping and have my own cores retreaded, then it would really save me money.

Howard
Old 11-30-2011, 11:25 AM   #16
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Retreads are illegal to run on semi-truck's steer tires. Do you trust them now?
Old 11-30-2011, 12:12 PM   #17
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
Retreads are illegal to run on semi-truck's steer tires. Do you trust them now?
Find an instance of a passenger vehicle retread tire failing. I couldn't.

The brand new Firestone on mechanics Yukon delaminated at highway speed.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:42 PM   #18
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
Find an instance of a passenger vehicle retread tire failing. I couldn't.
My mom and I had to cancel a road trip in 1971 when the tread began separating from the casing on one of our retreads, about 50 miles out of town.

I don't have a newer example to offer because no one in my family has run them ever since.

Perhaps the technology is better now. But I'm content to let others be the ones to find that out.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:50 PM   #19
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
I remember retreads back in the day and they had a pretty bad reputation. I never ran them. I suspect the manufacturing process has improved. That being said, I'd rather trust my family's life to name brand tires. Also, I don't think big rigs are allowed to use them on anything but the trailer.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:45 PM   #20

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Commercial vehicles over a certain weight are not allowed to use them on steer tires.