Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Unusual Tire Wear

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-30-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
Taco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to all
Taco John's Tacoma Gallery
Unusual Tire Wear

Have any of you tire gurus seen this before? The new passenger tires on the front of my wife's car appear to be wearing a little unusually. The inside of the tire feels like it has been flattened at a 45 degree angle compared to the rounded surface on the outside. There doesn't appear to be any cupping or feathering and I can't see where it rubs anything. The rear tires don't appear to have this.

The tires have about 3k miles on them and the car had new shocks and was aligned when the tires were new. I also had the alignment double checked by a different shop when I first noticed the wear.

I'm at a loss.
Attached Thumbnails
Unusual Tire Wear-11-30-2011-1-05-48-pm.png  
Old 11-30-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Rubbing? Thats the only thing I can think of that could cause this. Specialy since itson the front andnot rear. Are they different size than the old ones?
Old 11-30-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
Taco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to all
Nope. Same size. It is weird. At first I thought the camber is off but it checks out fine.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
That is weird, I'd be willing to bet then, that its rubbing somewhere. Maybe just somewhere its hard to see. Cause I would think if camber is off the whole tire would be worn down at an angle, not just that edge. GL with it, hope you figure it out.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:57 PM   #5
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Can you take a picture of it?

Are you sure it's just no too much camber? That would cause a relatively uniform gradation from no wear on the outside to lots of wear on the inside though. You seem to be describing something more drastic.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:08 PM   #6
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Does it look like this? Just about every Chevy Tahoe/Suburban that I've seen with older tires has had this problem, I'm not really sure what causes it as we've had it aligned. Have you aligned the tires lately?
Old 11-30-2011, 04:17 PM   #7
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
either a tie rod or control arm ball joint is worn and has play.

easy to check. jack the front wheels up off the ground. grab the tire at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions and try to move the tire up and down. then, grab the tire at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock position and shake side to side. if you see or hear any movement or play of the ball joints/tie rod ends replace as necessary
Old 11-30-2011, 04:23 PM   #8
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
forgot to add the wear can be attributed to worn shocks as well
Old 12-01-2011, 08:49 AM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorseforever View Post
Does it look like this? Just about every Chevy Tahoe/Suburban that I've seen with older tires has had this problem, I'm not really sure what causes it as we've had it aligned. Have you aligned the tires lately?
It "feels" lke that tire looks but you really can't see it yet. I am trying to nip it in the bud before they do look like that!

New shocks and recently aligned. I checked the suspension components avout 6 months ago, but probably worth a check again!
Old 12-01-2011, 07:30 PM   #10
BillJC is on a distinguished road

Name: Bill
BillJC's Tacoma Gallery
It's the toe. It's out of whack.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:37 PM   #11
jbrenn is a jewel in the roughjbrenn is a jewel in the roughjbrenn is a jewel in the roughjbrenn is a jewel in the rough
jbrenn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJC View Post
It's the toe. It's out of whack.
I agree I had this happen on my old ranger.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:17 AM   #12
I've had the alignment checked at two different shops. I get a printout of the results from the machine. Both show it within spec.