Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Tire/Rim size for 3" Toytec Lift?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-17-2008, 08:41 AM   #1
The Reel Sportsman
TacomaYAK will become famous soon enoughTacomaYAK will become famous soon enough

TacomaYAK's Tacoma Gallery
Tire/Rim size for 3" Toytec Lift?

Well...just installed a 3" Toytec lift yesterday with new coils, 5100 shocks, and AALs. I'm running the stock tires/rims right now because I'm not sure what tire/rim sizes to get.

Tires - I do know I want BFG All-Terrains Tires, largest possible without rubbing or new parts, which I'm thinking is 33's.

But as far as rims, should I bump it up to 17's or just get more 16's? I'm leaning towards black rims, so the stock ones will for sure be gone. I'm not even sure the 33's are available with my stock rims (not wide enough). Any imput would be appreciated, Thanks!
Old 11-17-2008, 10:55 AM   #3
The Reel Sportsman
TacomaYAK will become famous soon enoughTacomaYAK will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
You are correct the 33s won't fit on stock rim. I went with a 17" rim and like it but sometimes think the 18s would look better.
My rims are 17x8 4.5 backspace and 0 offset, I have BFG AT tires 33"

Hey Bud...your ride looks sweet! So you didnt have to do any trimming or replacing new parts?
Old 11-17-2008, 11:02 AM   #4
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running 285s on stock rims and the only thing I'm rubbing are my UCAs. I'm putting on spacers tonight though to correct that.

As far as rim size, most 16s won't fit because of the calipers. I have heard some reports on this site that there are a few 16s out there that will, but have no idea which ones. When I was looking at wheels and tires, 4wheelparts.com told me I would be better off upsizing to the 17s giving me a larger selection of rims.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:16 AM   #5
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaYAK View Post
Hey Bud...your ride looks sweet! So you didnt have to do any trimming or replacing new parts?
I did some trimming, only need a razor knife to remove some of the plastic.
This is the front where I cut and zip tied some back to keep from making contact while driving, thought it might flap.

The large square knob in the front of the tire, removed.

This is where I had very slight rubbing on full lock while experiencing some flex. Hard to see.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:31 AM   #6
soulreaper is on a distinguished road
soulreaper's Tacoma Gallery
when ever i get the money to get my 3in for my truck i will be just running a 265/70/17 maybe a 265/75 if i don't have to trim anything but i'll be running stock sport wheels and spacers
Old 11-17-2008, 08:48 PM   #8
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreaper View Post
when ever i get the money to get my 3in for my truck i will be just running a 265/70/17 maybe a 265/75 if i don't have to trim anything but i'll be running stock sport wheels and spacers
u do know u dont need spacers w/ that size of tire, right?
Old 11-17-2008, 11:47 PM   #10
soulreaper is on a distinguished road
soulreaper's Tacoma Gallery
no i didn't first truck that wasn't layed out of the floor
Old 11-20-2008, 03:07 PM   #11
The Reel Sportsman

So I went ahead and ordered (4) ProComp 7089-7883 wheels and (4) BFG A/T 285/70/17 Tires from Discount Tire today...total was about $1600 out the door...mounted and everything...did I do good?

It was the best deal I could find in my area..
Old 11-20-2008, 03:35 PM   #12
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
285/75R16s on a 16x8 wheel. (Light Racing UCA)

Old 11-20-2008, 04:02 PM   #13
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaYAK View Post
So I went ahead and ordered (4) ProComp 7089-7883 wheels and (4) BFG A/T 285/70/17 Tires from Discount Tire today...total was about $1600 out the door...mounted and everything...did I do good?

It was the best deal I could find in my area..
BFG AT in that size from http://www.onlinetires.com = $810 shipped.

4wheelparts for wheels = $641.16 shipped (may be different for your zipcode).

$1451 not installed, no road hazzard coverage, no free rotations, no valve stems plus you have a place to take them back to if something is wrong.

I'd say you didn't do too bad.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:07 PM   #14
DTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DTacoms's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrjohnson View Post
285/75R16s on a 16x8 wheel. (Light Racing UCA)

Hi Rob,

I see that you are using 16x8 rims. What is the backspacing/offset of those?

Where did you buy those wheels?

Btw, nice truck!!!