1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TPMS Light Flashing

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Dustyroades, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Dec 3, 2011 at 7:55 AM
    Dustyroades

Dustyroades [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    London, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    I had new Hankooks installed on my truck yesterday at Discount Tire (great price and service FYI), and paid extra for the TPMS rebuild kit. About half an hour after leaving, the TPMS light started flashing. Now when I turn the truck on, the light flashes for about a minute then stays lit. I have read the manual and past threads, and they indicate this means there is a malfunction with the TPMS system, not low tire pressure (which is indicated by a steady light). I have tried resetting the system as described in the manual but the problem persists.

Is there any possible explanation for this other than a broken sensor? I know I am going to have to bring it back to Discount Tire, so the only reason I'm asking is it's an hour away and across a border.

2. Dec 4, 2011 at 3:08 PM
    NBourque

NBourque Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 PRO
    Did you fill your spare?

3. Dec 4, 2011 at 3:15 PM
    Blackshirts

Blackshirts Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner-Totaled. 2016 SR5 Blue DC
    Stuff
    It's not the spare 09s didn't have them in the spare.

Did you check the psi? Mine will flash then I air them back up and it stops. Cold air will affect psi

4. Dec 4, 2011 at 3:24 PM
    hogeyphenogey

hogeyphenogey Back in a Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    Lunar Rock 2023 TRD Sport 6spd
    On most vehicles with Tpms sensors, if the light stays lit, then there may be a low tire or the cold temps dropping pressures. When they flash, it may be a sensor or module failure. We see this in my shop after tires have been installed by some shop that ended up breaking one or more tpms sensors. Toyota shop can scan your sensors and determine what is up. We just had a car with a bad receiver in the fender... Had the tpms failure lamp on and it wasn't taking signals from the rt front wheel.

5. Dec 4, 2011 at 3:24 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Flashing is an indicator of a sensor malfunction...Being as you just had it worked on and now this happens....I would say taking it to them is the right way to go...except for the distance/time involved...

6. Dec 4, 2011 at 5:59 PM
    Dustyroades

Member:
    London, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    So is the dealership the only place that can scan the sensors or do tire shops have this ability?

7. Dec 4, 2011 at 7:21 PM
    hogeyphenogey

hogeyphenogey Back in a Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    Lunar Rock 2023 TRD Sport 6spd
    Yes, I believe so. I don't think aftermarket shops will have the correct computer equipment. And it's usually brand specific. At our Hyundai shop, we couldn't take care of a jeep we were selling.

8. Dec 7, 2011 at 4:47 PM
    A fire inside

A fire inside Member

Member:
    Flashing means a malfunction. They either broke a sensor, or you have a dead battery(ies). If it was flashing the minute you left, they probably broke a sensor. Holding down the reset button under your dash won't do anything to turn off a MIL(malfunction indicator lamp). You need a TPMS scan tool hooked up to your OBDII to relearn sensors. Average battery life is 5 years or 100k miles in sensors, less if you are in a colder climate. My guess is they broke a sensor. It'd be a big coincidence for a battery to die right after they worked on it.

9. Jan 6, 2012 at 6:26 PM
    Dustyroades

Member:
    London, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    Just an update: I finally had a chance to bring the truck back to Discount Tire today. Sure enough, a sensor was faulty, which they replaced for free. Props to Discount.

10. Mar 14, 2020 at 3:46 PM
    smallwoodaj6801

smallwoodaj6801 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Same problem with my 06 Prerunner...light started blinking driving one day although tire pressure was fine. Thought the battery might have died in a sensor or something so I went and got them tested. Sensors and tires checked out fine. Weird, but I’ll take it.

Products Discussed in

To Top