1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

new tires/spare question

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by bobg03, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Dec 6, 2011 at 3:31 AM
    bobg03

bobg03 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Ct
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Wheels, Bull Bar, Tonneau Cover
    So I have ordered my new Revos one size up from the stock 245/75 to a 265/75. Main reason for the size-up was to visually fill the wheel wells on my stock height truck.

My 4 banger w/the stick has the switch to disable the locking diff, based on this do I really need to upgrade the spare or would the stocker work in a pinch? At 53 years old, I don't ever remember having to change a flat...lol.

There is no off-roading going on, just live in a hilly snowy area w/a lot of dirt road driving to get to some work sites.

thx for any input

2. Dec 6, 2011 at 4:09 AM
    YumaTRD

YumaTRD The Church Of @ODNAREM San Diego Chapter 1904

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    El Cajon, CA
    Vehicle:
    Solid Axle Yota
    Locked, Flat bed, 22R 5 speed, BFG KO2's
    In a pinch, it will work if your in dirt roads. But it is not recommended for street use since the tire diameter difference is over an inch which causes problems when traveling at higher speeds. The A-LSD might cause a problem as well. I'd recommend the full size spare. I normally see spares on craigslist for about $80.

[​IMG]
    from the online tire size calculator

[​IMG]
    from the tire calculator

3. Dec 6, 2011 at 4:33 AM
    bobg03

Member:
    NE Ct
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    That's what I kinda figured, I knew the difference in size that's why I was asking for real world opinions/experience.

I'll find a used tire in the correct size....I got a few connections there, now the big one..

Will the 265/75 fit in the stock location?

4. Dec 6, 2011 at 4:37 AM
    YumaTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    El Cajon, CA
    Vehicle:
    Solid Axle Yota
    It will fit perfectly

5. Dec 6, 2011 at 4:56 AM
    bobg03

Member:
    NE Ct
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Wonderful...thx for your help.

6. Dec 6, 2011 at 5:21 AM
    cverneau

cverneau Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Cheshire, CT.
    Vehicle:
    11 Access Cab 4cyl 4x4 Auto
    AVS In-Channel Window Deflectors, AVS Rear Window Sun/Rain Deflector, EGR Front Hood Deflector, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Liners With TRD Off Road Decals, TonnoPro Tri-Fold Cover, Coverking Black Neoprene Front Seat Covers & Front & Rear Center Console Covers, Black With Red Stitched TRD Head Rest Covers, Rear Grey Neoprene Wet Okole Seat Covers, Black Front Door Handle Pull Covers, Husky Custom Molded Mud Flaps, Devil Horns Of Fire On Satoshi, 7" Off Road Lights Mounted Behind Grill, Pop N Lock 5300, Seatbelt Chime Off, Interior & Exterior Led's, Cubby & Drink Holder Amber LED's, Infinity Reference #9633 6X9 Front Speakers, Solar-Gard HP Smoke 35% Tint, De-badged & Pinstripe Removal, Sun Visor Stickers Removed, Illuminated 4x4 Switch, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Ultragauge, TRD Aluminum Skid Plate, Bed Storage Cubby Locks Mod, Additional D-Rings In Bed, Rubber Bed Mat, Intermittent Wiper Stalk, Black Vinyl Arm Rest Mod, Secondary Air Filter Removal Mod, Spare Tire Rod Alignment Tube Mod, 14" Antenna Mod, Tailgate Theft Mod, DTRL Wire Jumper Mod, Parking Lights As Turn Signals Mod, Under Hood LED Strip Lighting Mod, 30 Watt Reverse Bulbs, PIAA 510's With LED's In Fog Locations, Cree LED Flood lights In Rear Bumper, Burner Bedlights In Bed Cubby's, Avid Light Bar, Horn Relocation Mod, Rear TSB Springs, Bilstein 5100's on all four corners - front set at 0.85", Cooper Discoverer ATP - 265-75R/16, Pioneer AVH-X3700BHS Head Unit With Microbypass, Added USB Charging Ports Under Dash.
    I'm glad someone else asked this...
    Why wouldn't the old size work as a spare just for emergency usage to get home??
    Cars use those donuts which are a LOT smaller than the normal size tires on their cars and idiots sometimes run them all the time - something I definately wouldn't do.
    I don't see why someone couldn't use it in a pinch - at least until they could get the correct size tire repaired or replaced (which should be no more than a day).

I agree that in a perfect world the spare should be the same size as the other running tires, but just for emergencies, wouldn't the old spare run ok for an extremely limited time due to it being an inch smaller in diameter?

7. Dec 6, 2011 at 5:37 AM
    YumaTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    El Cajon, CA
    Vehicle:
    Solid Axle Yota
    on cars and trucks with open differentials, the tire size difference wont affect the ride within city driving speeds.
    with the electronic traction controls and A-lsd in the newer tacomas, the uneven rotaion in the rear will cause some of these to activate when not needed. If the Tacoma is a Prerunner and the front has the undersized spare, then each side can roll independently from each other.

8. Dec 6, 2011 at 6:06 AM
    bobg03

Member:
    NE Ct
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    In a pinch as I stated in the original post, on the rear you could disable the LSD in a true pinch, on the front you would not want to engage 4WD...Is it the right way? No and as stated it may activate some warning lights.

Products Discussed in

To Top