Notices

new tires/spare question

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-06-2011, 03:31 AM   #1
bobg03 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Retired Chauffer
bobg03's Tacoma Gallery
new tires/spare question

So I have ordered my new Revos one size up from the stock 245/75 to a 265/75. Main reason for the size-up was to visually fill the wheel wells on my stock height truck.

My 4 banger w/the stick has the switch to disable the locking diff, based on this do I really need to upgrade the spare or would the stocker work in a pinch? At 53 years old, I don't ever remember having to change a flat...lol.

There is no off-roading going on, just live in a hilly snowy area w/a lot of dirt road driving to get to some work sites.

thx for any input
Old 12-06-2011, 04:09 AM   #2
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
In a pinch, it will work if your in dirt roads. But it is not recommended for street use since the tire diameter difference is over an inch which causes problems when traveling at higher speeds. The A-LSD might cause a problem as well. I'd recommend the full size spare. I normally see spares on craigslist for about $80.

from the online tire size calculator

from the tire calculator
Old 12-06-2011, 04:33 AM   #3
bobg03's Tacoma Gallery
That's what I kinda figured, I knew the difference in size that's why I was asking for real world opinions/experience.

I'll find a used tire in the correct size....I got a few connections there, now the big one..

Will the 265/75 fit in the stock location?
Old 12-06-2011, 04:37 AM   #4
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobg03 View Post
That's what I kinda figured, I knew the difference in size that's why I was asking for real world opinions/experience.

I'll find a used tire in the correct size....I got a few connections there, now the big one..

Will the 265/75 fit in the stock location?
It will fit perfectly
Old 12-06-2011, 04:56 AM   #5
bobg03's Tacoma Gallery
Wonderful...thx for your help.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:21 AM   #6
cverneau is on a distinguished road

Name: Craig
cverneau's Tacoma Gallery
I'm glad someone else asked this...
Why wouldn't the old size work as a spare just for emergency usage to get home??
Cars use those donuts which are a LOT smaller than the normal size tires on their cars and idiots sometimes run them all the time - something I definately wouldn't do.
I don't see why someone couldn't use it in a pinch - at least until they could get the correct size tire repaired or replaced (which should be no more than a day).

I agree that in a perfect world the spare should be the same size as the other running tires, but just for emergencies, wouldn't the old spare run ok for an extremely limited time due to it being an inch smaller in diameter?
Old 12-06-2011, 05:37 AM   #7
Chewie is my Co-pilot

YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
on cars and trucks with open differentials, the tire size difference wont affect the ride within city driving speeds.
with the electronic traction controls and A-lsd in the newer tacomas, the uneven rotaion in the rear will cause some of these to activate when not needed. If the Tacoma is a Prerunner and the front has the undersized spare, then each side can roll independently from each other.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:06 AM   #8
bobg03's Tacoma Gallery
In a pinch as I stated in the original post, on the rear you could disable the LSD in a true pinch, on the front you would not want to engage 4WD...Is it the right way? No and as stated it may activate some warning lights.