Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

275/70/17 on stock Sport Wheels ?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-06-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
275/70/17 on stock Sport Wheels ?

So , I've spent lots of time reading all the relative threads , but there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer .

Can you run 275/70/17 on Sport wheels and clear the fender , flaps and UCA's ?

I have 2 1/2" of front lift and LR UCA's .

Thanks in advance .

*******SPOILER ALERT******* : For those too lazy to read to the end , the answer is yes .
Old 12-06-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery

Worst case you could do some measuring at full lock and flexed based on the size you have now. They don't seem much larger than the 265/70's (1/2" wider, 1/2" taller).
Old 12-06-2011, 01:31 PM   #3
BigBiscuit is on a distinguished road

BigBiscuit's Tacoma Gallery
I asked a while ago and also never got a definitive answer either. Based on some measurements I made, I think you're okay. The only question I had that went unanswered was related to clearing the UCA's. I still don't know. I'm thinking you might need wheel spacers for insurance.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I've read a few guys contact the UCA at full lock .

Wheel spacers would probably make the tire contact the flaps which I would like to keep .
Old 12-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
Interweb wheeler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
IIRC member Teamfast had those and he said he had slight rub on the uca. I'm really thinking about going that direction when I get new tires in a few weeks
Old 12-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #6

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC10TRDSPORT View Post
IIRC member Teamfast had those and he said he had slight rub on the uca. I'm really thinking about going that direction when I get new tires in a few weeks
He said he had a slight rub on the UCA at full lock
Old 12-06-2011, 11:37 PM   #8
I think I'm getting the Fear.
MY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53-E Crewchief/Mechanic, HMH-464
Name: Mojo
MY50cal's Tacoma Gallery
IMHO, get new rims with your tires ... but serisously I think you'll be fine. Hard to tell though, it seems many of our "same" trucks have very different results from certain modifications.

OFF topic a bit; the 275/70/17's... what tire are you going with? When I bought my last set of tires that size was virtually impossible to find
Old 12-07-2011, 12:04 AM   #9
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
So , I've spent lots of time reading all the relative threads , but there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer .

Can you run 275/70/17 on Sport wheels and clear the fender , flaps and UCA's ?

I have 2 1/2" of front lift and LR UCA's .

Thanks in advance .
This really is tough to answer without real world testing, though it should work. You're only gaining 1/4" in height and 1/5" in width, which isn't much with 2.5" of lift. How much room do you have between the tire and your UCA now? Do you have any rubbing with your current tires?

Theoretically it "should" work, but you never know just how much half an inch will do. That's an uncommon size btw, what tires are you looking at getting?
Old 12-07-2011, 12:48 AM   #11
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
A friend of mine runs that size on an aftermarket wheel, but the same measurements as stock IIRC.

He didn't have to trim anything or had problems with UCA contact.

but then again, different trucks seem to have different results
Old 12-07-2011, 07:27 AM   #12

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettBretterson View Post
This really is tough to answer without real world testing, though it should work. You're only gaining 1/4" in height and 1/5" in width, which isn't much with 2.5" of lift. How much room do you have between the tire and your UCA now? Do you have any rubbing with your current tires?

Theoretically it "should" work, but you never know just how much half an inch will do. That's an uncommon size btw, what tires are you looking at getting?
The Hankook ATm's are available in an LT275/70/17 Load Range C now .
Old 12-07-2011, 07:28 AM   #13

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY50cal View Post
IMHO, get new rims with your tires ... but serisously I think you'll be fine. Hard to tell though, it seems many of our "same" trucks have very different results from certain modifications.

OFF topic a bit; the 275/70/17's... what tire are you going with? When I bought my last set of tires that size was virtually impossible to find
Hankook ATm
Old 12-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #15

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
I use to have them on my "old" truck. Never had any issues with them at all

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...ml#post2929261
Steve , you were able to keep the front flaps ?
Old 12-07-2011, 10:53 AM   #16
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The Hankook ATm's are available in an LT275/70/17 Load Range C now .
That must be a brand new size.
I just rec'd delivery of the same tire in P265/70/17 and they look very, very good. The open tread shouldn't carry stones and the continuous center band should keep them quiet.
I wouldn't be afraid to put 275's on my stock FJ wheels, just wouldn't want the weight on the 2.7
The P265's are only 38#

I've run tires for hundreds of thousands of miles with a slight rub at full lock on my Jeep with no problem. Just don't want to rub on anything sharp. The 275's might be tight.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #17

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflan View Post
That must be a brand new size.
I just rec'd delivery of the same tire in P265/70/17 and they look very, very good. The open tread shouldn't carry stones and the continuous center band should keep them quiet.
I wouldn't be afraid to put 275's on my stock FJ wheels, just wouldn't want the weight on the 2.7
The P265's are only 38#

I've run tires for hundreds of thousands of miles with a slight rub at full lock on my Jeep with no problem. Just don't want to rub on anything sharp. The 275's might be tight.
New size as if spring 2011

I run 265/70/17 Hankook Dynapro MT's now , and these should only be 10mm wider , and only half of that , 5mm or 1/4" , would be toward the UCA . By eyeballing it , it looks like I should have room even at full lock .
Old 12-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #18
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
New size as if spring 2011

I run 265/70/17 Hankook Dynapro MT's now , and these should only be 10mm wider , and only half of that , 5mm or 1/4" , would be toward the UCA . By eyeballing it , it looks like I should have room even at full lock .
Only one sure way to find out!
Old 12-07-2011, 03:07 PM   #20
98regstick is a jewel in the rough98regstick is a jewel in the rough98regstick is a jewel in the rough

Name: Chris
98regstick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt man hans View Post
where is kpt lol
bingo