Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

First snow, my tires suck!

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-08-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
Sixxtaco is a name known to allSixxtaco is a name known to allSixxtaco is a name known to allSixxtaco is a name known to allSixxtaco is a name known to allSixxtaco is a name known to all

Sixxtaco's Tacoma Gallery
First snow, my tires suck!

Hello,

New here but been lurking a while. I had my first snow today of about 1/2 an inch and my Michelin Latitudes are sucking wind. Over the last five years I've driven a Tahoe with Stock Goodyear tires that impressed the hell out of me. Al though my Michelins were great riding tires in the summer, I'm looking for some new tires for my Taco that will accommodate daily driving on the interstate and good grip in the snow when needed. In my "lurking" I have noticed the Goodyear Duratrak seems to it my needs but I was looking for any advise or recommendations from any of you. Tire size is 265/70/17.

Thanks guys!
Old 12-08-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
Fear no fish
tuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud of

Name: Tucker
tuckdaddy's Tacoma Gallery
My 285/75/16 bfg km2's have been awesome in the snow. I would recommend those or the bfg all terrains
Old 12-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
There is no real wrong choice in AT tire.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:02 PM   #6
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckdaddy View Post
My 285/75/16 bfg km2's have been awesome in the snow. I would recommend those or the bfg all terrains
I second the BFG A/T KO recommendation. I've run a few sets on a couple of different trucks (well over 100K miles total) through multiple Colorado winters on & off road. They've never let me down.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:04 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_283 View Post

Duratracs or KM2s from what I've read, they will be my next tire.
Everyone has their own opinion. Most tires are good except for maybe Dick Cepek tires.

Duratracs, KM2s, MTZs, Hancook whatever...all pretty good.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #8
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
I have km2s without weight in the bed they do not have traction in slick conditions even siped
Old 12-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #9
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Duratracs or KM2s from what I've read, they will be my next tire.
Yep, wipper's whack on that one

None of those friggin Michelins turn me on, esp. at their prices.
The wife has Bridgestone Duelers (693) on her Grand Cherokee and it's like a tank in the snow. I was pleasantly surprised.
We tried 1st generation Revos and were not that impressed but the 693's are awesome, IMO.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:07 PM   #10
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
I have BFG A/T KO too and they work great.

I have heard nothing but good about the Duratracs, they are even snow peak rated (same as a dedicated snow tire)
The comment about A/T tires being good its true AND false. Depends on the rubber compound and amount of siping. Most A/Ts are pretty good in snow, but just shy away from the ones that are designed closer to an M/T.
Most M/T tires have little to no siping and are really only designed for mud, not so good in snow or rain. Their tread patterns arent usually made to shed snow either, so they pack easily making traction nonexistant.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:26 PM   #11
Sixxtaco is a name known to allSixxtaco is a name known to allSixxtaco is a name known to allSixxtaco is a name known to allSixxtaco is a name known to allSixxtaco is a name known to all

Sixxtaco's Tacoma Gallery
I do have two 70 lb sand bags in the bed, but I was still compelled to put it in 4wheel drive after the first corner. My Tahoe was a tank with the weight and tire combination it had, so I was hoping to get at least close with the Taco. Everything about the truck has made me pretty happy so far....I'm sure some sweet new tires will help!
Thanks for the help!
Old 12-08-2011, 09:46 PM   #13
jackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jackhart's Tacoma Gallery
hankook dynapro atm rf10's.

read the reviews on this site. they are cheaper than the duratracs (which are a great tire, btw).

Old 12-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #14
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
i usually put 200lbs sand in the bed over the axle. but i also have recovery equipt and OBA in the bed also. i run bfg km2s and love them in the snow, i always keep it in 2wd unless im pullin someone out or parked
Old 12-08-2011, 09:49 PM   #15
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My "AT" tires suck too. I have a thread about them. I used to go along with the thought that any tire is fine. Until I started spinning under SLOW acceleration on wet pavement at 50 F ....
Which ones ?
Old 12-08-2011, 09:55 PM   #16
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
from what i have heard, people like the KM2's, but everyone tells me they suck in the snow? So Idk

I just got duratracs put on tuesday, and i have heard tons of good things about them with snow, but it hasn't snowed here yet, so I can't vouch, sorry.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:00 PM   #17
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
I've never had problems in any conditions with my KM2s. Except for strictly ice. I've never driven on ice, nor do I plan on it.

It's all about how you drive.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:19 PM   #18
I eat terrorism and crap freedom!
apierce7565 is on a distinguished road

Army: 12B Combat Engineer 2/11 ACR 58th CEC
Name: Anthony
apierce7565's Tacoma Gallery
km2

hah my last tacoma had km2s on it and i wrecked it, they destroyed the wheel wells to hell but they were the only things to come out untouched, no cuts or anything those tires are badass grips everything, even on grass they leave ruts everywhere idk about snow though never drove in it
Old 12-09-2011, 05:36 AM   #19
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
1/2" of snow becomes slick real quick & turns to ice pretty fast depending on road & air temp. I'd rather drive in a heavier snowfall than the dustings.

As far as AT tires, I have used quite a few in super snowy conditions over the years. My Goodyear Silent Armor Wranglers, snowflake rated AT are ok, nothing beats a snowtire. Duratracs are probably the best.
The only tire I liked on the tacoma was a studded tire where I lived.
Swap those highway tires out for sure. That one time is the one that gets ya.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:42 AM   #20
Banned
Quote:
My "AT" tires suck too. I have a thread about them. I used to go along with the thought that any tire is fine. Until I started spinning under SLOW acceleration on wet pavement at 50 F ....
Ok what AT tires?

live via