Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Best Size Wheel Spacers for Current Setup?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-17-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
InfoWarrior is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Chris
InfoWarrior's Tacoma Gallery
Best Size Wheel Spacers for Current Setup?

Hey everyone!

New to TW but a frequent visitor to the site for good reading and info. I have been researching different forums on wheel spacers and I am well aware that there are plenty of differing opinions on whether or not they should be used. I have decided to buy a set, but my question pertains to what size spacers I should go with. Let me give you a little bit of info. on my current wheel/tire setup and the options available.

My Tacoma is a 2001 Prerunner Double Cab. Right now I am running an aftermarket set of AFX Ambush wheels in size 20x8.5 with a +18 offset and 265/50-20 tires. This puts the backspacing at about 5.5” according to the conversion charts. My last set of wheels were the 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart’s with a +1 offset, approximately 4.5” backspacing. I was also running 265/75-16 tires, and the stance seemed perfect because this put the tire in almost perfect alignment with the fenders. However, this also caused a slight rub in the front since I am currently running without a lift, leveling kit, etc.

Since I lost about an inch in total backspacing, in order to get the new 20” wheels/tires flush with the fender the spacers would obviously have to be at least 1”. I also went .5” wider in wheel width though. There is a company that makes spacers in size 1” and 1.25”, and I’m wondering which would be the better option. I used a leveler to measure the current distance from the tires to the outside of the fender and it is around .5” as well. So even with a 1” spacer it will stick out .5” from the fender. I don’t mind the tires sticking out slightly, I just don’t want it to be too much.

I also plan on getting either a leveling kit or the Bilstein 5100’s installed, so that will raise the front slightly. But another change I want to make is to go up in tire size to a 275/55-20, so that adds 10 mm to the tire width. My main goal is to NOT have any rubbing up front, so if anyone could offer any suggestions or advice on what wheel spacer size/setup might be the best, I would most definitely appreciate it. Thanks and glad to be a part of TW!
Old 12-18-2011, 06:45 AM   #2
Rust Framed Tacoma :)
lj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lj973gm's Tacoma Gallery
The common spacer size all over from multiple companies is 1.25

There are a couple of places making 1" spacers but are on ebay mostly didnt dig to find info about them.

I ran across this company a few weeks ago and did some digging reading what peoples reviews were on other forums and they were all positive.

They will make any custom spacer you need and also lug conversion to fit improper wheels meaning a 8 lug on our 6 lug trucks.

I do not know them and I am not advertising for them, they are just other only ones to offer up a larger range than the typically pushes spaces on here.

http://www.motorsport-tech.com/special/truck/toyota_s
Old 12-18-2011, 08:13 AM   #3
Army:
Yeah, this is actually the company (B.O.R.A. by Motorsport Technology Inc.) I was referring to that makes the 1" spacer I mentioned. I know Spidertrax seems to be the overall consensus in best quality spacer, but this company looks to be of the same high quality material but with more sizing options.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:37 AM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoWarrior View Post
Yeah, this is actually the company (B.O.R.A. by Motorsport Technology Inc.) I was referring to that makes the 1" spacer I mentioned. I know Spidertrax seems to be the overall consensus in best quality spacer, but this company looks to be of the same high quality material but with more sizing options.
Are their spacers hub-centric? That's why people like spidertrax.

Edit, I see in the link that it is.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:12 AM   #5
Rust Framed Tacoma :)
lj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lj973gm's Tacoma Gallery
Nice to see we have some more options.

As you noticed KPT they are hub centric and not just shiney junk.

Think I am going to go 3/4" on my sport wheels, to line them up to the body. 1.25 is too much for my taste and all the salt wash in my area.

Nothing like adding some knowledge to the wheel and tire god named KPT
Old 12-18-2011, 09:12 AM   #6
Army:
Both wheel and hub centric, just like Spidertrax, which is awesome!
Old 12-18-2011, 09:22 AM   #7
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Turn your wheels all the way as far as you can, and measure the distance from the outside sidewall of the wheel to the closest point where it looks like it might make contact. This will typically be behind the wheel at the mudflap location. With the spacer you know this distance will be reduced by approximately the spacer thickness, so this will give you the best idea of what will work. With my wheels I only have about an inch, so I decided against spacers, since I don't want to run into rubbing issues, and I am not prepared to start cutting my truck just to run spacers.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:23 AM   #8
Army:
lj973gm - I was considering the 3/4" spacers also, but aren't they too small for the existing studs? I read somewhere that 1" was the smallest spacer Tacoma's could use without having to shave or shorten the stock studs.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:30 AM   #9
Army:
Boerseun - Thanks for the tip and I will definitely try this out. I have already removed the front mudflaps and did cut out a small portion of the inner fender well when I was running the IS wheels with 265/75-17 tires. It still rubbed slightly though, especially when backing out of my driveway, which I was really surprised by.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:09 PM   #10
RJinWarren is on a distinguished road

Name: RJ
RJinWarren's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoWarrior View Post
lj973gm - I was considering the 3/4" spacers also, but aren't they too small for the existing studs? I read somewhere that 1" was the smallest spacer Tacoma's could use without having to shave or shorten the stock studs.

I am looking to add the 3/4" spacers, but wondering if there has been any more feedback on this size spacer and working with the factory stud length? I know everyone likes the Spidertrax, but fear that width would cause that much more rubbing...