Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Tire pressure is low

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-22-2008, 10:42 AM   #1
Tino4980 is on a distinguished road
Tino4980's Tacoma Gallery
Tire pressure is low

I bought my truck 1 month ago and i just noticed my tires are low, all four tires are 25 PSI and they suppose to be 35 PSI, just wondering if anynobody had the same issue i have ? Maybe because my truck is a 4x4 OFF ROAD and if you go off roading the tires have a better grip on the sand if the pressure is lower, ill just have to put air on the tires. Thanks Guys
Attached Thumbnails
Tire pressure is low-pict0041.jpg   Tire pressure is low-pict0042.jpg  
Old 11-22-2008, 11:20 AM   #2
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
Fill them up to what you feel is good we have plenty of discussions on what we think are the best ways to air up your tires. Either way make a note of what the psi is after you fill it up and check it every 2 or 3 days to see if it is holding. Not only that but has the temp. been changing where you live? That will also affect psi.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:33 PM   #3
Jeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to all

Army: Sp4 in Personel Section HQ CO.
Jeff's Tacoma Gallery
Check inside your door sill plate, your tire pressures will be there. Follow that as thats the bible, so to speak. You can adjust for off road, but for the street you should follow Toyota's spec's

Jeff 06,V6, SR5, 4x4, V6
Old 11-22-2008, 12:39 PM   #4
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I've had my Taco since August of 2006 and had to inflate some of the tires here and there but not a lot of times. Maybe about 4 or 5 times tops and that was only for 1 tire at at time, never all 4 at the same time. The only time my light comes on is when its really cold outside and then it will go away once it warms up. Just keep checking it now and then and if it keeps happening I would get a hold of the place you bought it from cause that aint right.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:47 PM   #5
Jeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to all

Jeff's Tacoma Gallery
I have had my Taco since Oct of 06 and only once did I have that light come and I had a nail in the tire and it was clearly down 12-15lbs and leaking fast. Other than that I never have had to put air in the tires , other than this first time with the spare.

The cold weather does not seem to bother the light on my particular vehicle, perhaps one of the tires has a bad sensor. it does happen to all manufacturers.

Jeff , 06,V6, SR5 4x4, 6spd
Old 11-22-2008, 01:40 PM   #6
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yeah Jeff I'm not to worried about the light coming on when its cold outside because it only happens once every blue moon even when it does happen. Plus I'm adding new rims and tires next week so they will be messing with the TPMS system anyways. Thanks though.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:15 PM   #7
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tino4980 View Post
I bought my truck 1 month ago and i just noticed my tires are low, all four tires are 25 PSI and they suppose to be 35 PSI, just wondering if anynobody had the same issue i have ? Maybe because my truck is a 4x4 OFF ROAD and if you go off roading the tires have a better grip on the sand if the pressure is lower, ill just have to put air on the tires. Thanks Guys
What "issue" do you have? That they're low on air? So put some in.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:57 AM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
Fill them up to what you feel is good we have plenty of discussions on what we think are the best ways to air up your tires. Either way make a note of what the psi is after you fill it up and check it every 2 or 3 days to see if it is holding. Not only that but has the temp. been changing where you live? That will also affect psi.
Well the weather here hasnt changed much just getting a little cooler, the light for my tire pressure hasnt turn on yet but im still going to put air on them and then ill try your advice and check 2 or 3 days and see what happens , dont know why they sold me my taco with the tires pressure not with the right PSI of 35, Thanks guys for your input
Old 11-23-2008, 12:01 PM   #9
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tino4980 View Post
dont know why they sold me my taco with the tires pressure not with the right PSI of 35, Thanks guys for your input
The "right" psi depends on the tires. My AT's are set at 32# front 30# rear on my Tacoma. You should do a "chalk meathod" on your tires to insure propper inflation.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:37 PM   #11

Jeff's Tacoma Gallery
Tino, not sure why your dealer did not check your tire pressures when you bought it. With regards for your 09 tire pressures, most of us that have 06 all the tire pressures are at 29 according to your sticker on your door post, that sticker has your tire size that came with your truck and the correct tire pressure. What does yours say? If for some strange reason that your tire size on your truck does not match the sticker on your door post, then there is some thing wrong and you dealer should give you a good explanation. Let us know . You also might look at the window sticker that came with your truck listing the VIN, options, tires, color etc. All that info should jive too.

Jeff 06, V6, SR5, 4x4
Old 11-23-2008, 02:45 PM   #12
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
^He has a TRD OR which has 265/70/16 tires that are the same as previous years, 29psi front and 32 rear. This is exactly my point: the guy has an "issue" with his tires being down by 4 and 7 PSI. It's a NON-issue. The TPMS doesn't even go off that low.

Someone in Cali invite him over for a tire inflation meet.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:06 PM   #13
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonthedog View Post
someone in cali invite him over for a tire inflation meet.
lmao!!!!
Old 11-23-2008, 03:20 PM   #14
©1975
aaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to behold

Name: Cap'n Crunch
aaronatl's Tacoma Gallery
gear
Old 11-25-2008, 03:05 AM   #15
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know where you get 35lbs. My door sticker says 29 for all 4 (265/75/16 dunlops on a 4x4 was how it came), but I have different tires now and I'm going to try the chalk method when I can remember to get some chalk .

The TPMS must warn the driver when a tire is under-inflated by as much as 25% and TPMS should be set at the lowest cold inflation pressure recommended by the manufacturer. So 29lbs would go on at 22lbs, you have 25lbs which is why it is not on yet. 4lbs loss could be due to it being colder out, that's what 1st activated mine.

There was a post reference the reset button and being able to put a certain pressure in all the tires, push the reset and it recognizes the 'new' pressure as the default and will activate when it gets 25% lower than the new #. I haven't looked for the button or tried this yet though.

try this...search...put air in...check owners manual/door panel
Old 11-25-2008, 05:54 AM   #16

Jeff's Tacoma Gallery
Well said FoxySandChick, you go by the door sticker pressure recommendations which should match the tires that originally came with the truck. Then go from there.
Jeff, 06,V6,SR5, 6spd 4x4
Old 11-25-2008, 04:48 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Tino, not sure why your dealer did not check your tire pressures when you bought it. With regards for your 09 tire pressures, most of us that have 06 all the tire pressures are at 29 according to your sticker on your door post, that sticker has your tire size that came with your truck and the correct tire pressure. What does yours say? If for some strange reason that your tire size on your truck does not match the sticker on your door post, then there is some thing wrong and you dealer should give you a good explanation. Let us know . You also might look at the window sticker that came with your truck listing the VIN, options, tires, color etc. All that info should jive too.

Jeff 06, V6, SR5, 4x4
Yes it does say 29 front and 32 rear on my sticker cool, i put air on them already so ill just wait and see if theres no problems ill let you guys know. So far im loving my truck you guys and TW are awsome. Again thanks guys
Old 11-25-2008, 08:35 PM   #18
Lieutenant Dan.

Hey I'm sure you know, but after you fill the tires up with the right pressure you need to hit the reset button under the steering wheel and hold it until the low pressure light blinks 3 times. After that it should go out if the pressures right.