Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Tire rubbing

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-27-2011, 07:45 AM   #1
ralphtater is on a distinguished road
ralphtater's Tacoma Gallery
Tire rubbing

I have a 06 prerunner and recently upgraded my tires to 285 nitto terra grappler with a 2.5 in revtech leveling kit. I thought that the tires would not rub but have noticed that they do when the wheel is turned all the way one direction. I was thinking about trying to do some cutting around the wheel well and was wondering if anybody else has tried this and has any advice on how to do it the best. If you have can you tell me the tools you used and possibly post pictures.

thanks to all who read this
Old 12-27-2011, 07:46 AM   #2
NBHNC
Rusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty
Rusty 06 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Old 12-27-2011, 07:48 AM   #3
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphtater View Post
I have a 06 prerunner and recently upgraded my tires to 285 nitto terra grappler with a 2.5 in revtech leveling kit. I thought that the tires would not rub but have noticed that they do when the wheel is turned all the way one direction. I was thinking about trying to do some cutting around the wheel well and was wondering if anybody else has tried this and has any advice on how to do it the best. If you have can you tell me the tools you used and possibly post pictures.

thanks to all who read this
2.5 isn't quite enough to clear everything, trimming in the fender well is pretty common. Depending on which wheel you are running, it may be necessary to trim your cab mount as well.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:55 AM   #5
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Wood chisel works much better than razor knife for cutting that plastic.

Heat gun is great for reshaping the plastic.

Most folks rig up something to pull the trimmed inner fender liner forward.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:39 AM   #7
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
i have never heard of 285s rubbing........not on tw.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:09 AM   #8
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pataco View Post
i have never heard of 285s rubbing........not on tw.
Surely you jest
Old 12-28-2011, 08:37 AM   #9
ralphtater is on a distinguished road
ralphtater's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the feedback eeryone.......for those of you who have done the mod is there any way you could put up a picture of the area you cut?
Old 12-28-2011, 09:11 AM   #10
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Look in the suspension forum, bjmoose installs OME - towards the end there are a couple pix of trimming.

If you search "cab mount chop" you'll find a bunch more.