Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

3" Lift with stock TRD Sport wheels?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-24-2008, 08:30 AM   #1
Hadoken is on a distinguished road
Hadoken's Tacoma Gallery
3" Lift with stock TRD Sport wheels?

I'm looking at adding a Toytec 3" lift with rear AAL to my 05 DC LB 2WD with the 17" TRD Sport wheels...has anyone seen this combo before? I would like to add the lift and get my new tires by the end of the year, but I won't have the cash for new wheels for a while.

I'm mainly curious as to what size of tires you guys suggest with 17" wheels and a 3" lift.
I'm sure a 265/70 would look pretty small under there.

Also if I decide to have the kit installed instead of doing it myself, what would be a fair price?
Old 11-24-2008, 08:39 AM   #4
Hadoken is on a distinguished road
Hadoken's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the quick reply, I like it with the stock wheels better than I thought I would.
Did you notice much of a drop in mileage when you put those bigger tires on there? No rubbing or anything I'm assuming with 285's?

Thanks again.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:42 AM   #5
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
Thanks for the quick reply, I like it with the stock wheels better than I thought I would.
Did you notice much of a drop in mileage when you put those bigger tires on there? No rubbing or anything I'm assuming with 285's?

Thanks again.
285s on stock rims are going to rub your UCAs. If you don't want to rub your UCAs, then you'll either need spacers or an aftermarket rim with 4.5" backspacing. The stock rim has 5.5" backspacing.

I'm running 285s on stock rims and added the Spidertrax 1.25" spacers. Now, I'm not rubbing the UCAs anymore, but need to trim my inner fender cause I rub that at full lock.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:47 AM   #6
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
longhorn is right my tires do rub the stock uca's at full lock but will hopefully be fixed when i can get some new uca's. The mileage is not a huge drop but it is noticeable and worth the loss to get the look and functionality off road.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:54 AM   #7
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
longhorn is right my tires do rub the stock uca's at full lock but will hopefully be fixed when i can get some new uca's. The mileage is not a huge drop but it is noticeable and worth the loss to get the look and functionality off road.
What kind of UCAs are you looking at? I replaced mine with the Total Chaos when I did my lift and I was still rubbing them. From my understanding, the UCAs just give you more caster to correct the alignment geometry after the lift. I don't think they really "get out of the way" any more than the stock UCAs.

I think it also depends on the tire. I've got some pretty big knobs on my tires. Not sure if a more All Terrain tire would clear any better or not...
Old 11-24-2008, 09:07 AM   #8
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTaco View Post
What kind of UCAs are you looking at? I replaced mine with the Total Chaos when I did my lift and I was still rubbing them. From my understanding, the UCAs just give you more caster to correct the alignment geometry after the lift. I don't think they really "get out of the way" any more than the stock UCAs.

I think it also depends on the tire. I've got some pretty big knobs on my tires. Not sure if a more All Terrain tire would clear any better or not...
I think it definitely depends on the tire, you have Goodyear MTR's right?
or I could have been misinformed but the mtr's do have huge side lugs.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:15 AM   #10
East Bound and Down

Quote:
Nope, I have the BFG M/T KM2s.
Well I think we have another good question on our hands(does it matter what tire used?). I think a good chunk of the guys with aftermarket uca's are running aftermarket wheels also. I do like the SpiderTrax spacers a whole lot but how much are you going to need to trim to make everything rub free?
Old 11-24-2008, 09:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Well I think we have another good question on our hands(does it matter what tire used?). I think a good chunk of the guys with aftermarket uca's are running aftermarket wheels also. I do like the SpiderTrax spacers a whole lot but how much are you going to need to trim to make everything rub free?
Not too much I don't think. I'm not rubbing much, just every so often I hear it when I'm turning in reverse.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:09 AM   #12
East Bound and Down

Quote:
Not too much I don't think. I'm not rubbing much, just every so often I hear it when I'm turning in reverse.
sweet thats good to know I like my stock wheels but like the look of how the aftermarket ones stick outside the fender just a bit.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:32 AM   #13
dougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nice
Name: Doug
dougmays's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dougmays
Would these Nitto's fit on my stock rim and stock suspension (non TRD)??
Old 11-24-2008, 12:30 PM   #16
dougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nice
Name: Doug
dougmays's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dougmays
Quote:
265/75 are as big as you can go with no lift and no rubbing. I don't think you can fit 285s with no lift even with MAJOR modifications (i.e. cab mount, etc...).

nitto has a 265/75/16 version. so these would be fine on my stock rims/suspension?