Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

What the 2012 wheel looks like without the plastic chrome cover

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
BrewCrew is on a distinguished road
BrewCrew's Tacoma Gallery
What the 2012 wheel looks like without the plastic chrome cover

I took a side by side picture of my 2012 Tacoma wheel with the plastic chrome cover next to my spare tire without the cover. For those that don't care for the chrome, the silver powdercoat is a nice alternative. I also took a pic of my 2005 Sequioa wheel which happens to be very similar to the Tacoma wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
What the 2012 wheel looks like without the plastic chrome cover-sam_0328.jpg   What the 2012 wheel looks like without the plastic chrome cover-sam_0330.jpg  
Old 12-29-2011, 08:28 AM   #2
Interweb wheeler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
I love the sequoia/tundra wheels and really want a set but they are hard to find
Old 12-29-2011, 09:25 AM   #3
bigswoleone is on a distinguished road

Name: Craig
bigswoleone's Tacoma Gallery
So are you going to leave the chrome cover on or take them off? If you take it off will the center cap still be chrome or is that just a plastic cover as well?
Old 12-29-2011, 09:50 AM   #4
75PSI or bust!
xmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
xmadcowx's Tacoma Gallery
Wait, these aren't the sport upgrade package wheels are they?
Old 12-29-2011, 10:07 AM   #5
75PSI or bust!
xmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
xmadcowx's Tacoma Gallery
Isn't that upgrade $800 over the regular sport upgrade?

edit: nm, just read the upgrade goes from a 17" to 18" wheel. But still, I don't know how I would feel about chrome covers, especially when spending 30+ for the truck. Not trying to insult you, just questioning Toyota decision making; unless this is common, then I'm bewildered.

edit2: Just found out there is "chrome clad" and "chrome plated"...guess you learn something every day.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:08 AM   #6
AaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Aaron
AaronArf's Tacoma Gallery
Yes the sport upgrade wheels have plastic chrome covers. The center cap is chrome plastic, I don't think they will fit without the covers.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:12 AM   #7
Rayzor is on a distinguished road
Army: 452nd Combat Support Hospital
Name: Ray
Rayzor's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, factory plastic chrome covers for a new taco...That's nasty!!
Old 12-29-2011, 10:14 AM   #8
AaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Aaron
AaronArf's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly, you can hardly tell they are plastic covers until you clean the wheel. Most all auto manufactures have went this route with factory "chrome" wheels. Perfect for 95% of folks who never modify or take care of their vehicles. Especially up north with all of the rock salt.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:08 AM   #10
supremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of light
supremetaco2's Tacoma Gallery
WTF Plastic Chrome that is pure shit! Damn. Although they do look nice Lol
Old 12-30-2011, 09:38 AM   #12
Interweb wheeler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Real chrome in PA is a NO-NO! I work as a mechanic and we do change some tires here and there and I see it all the time that a chrome wheel starts to peel after 3 years. These caps look as real as the real thing with almost no negative side downsides, except that you don't have a real chrome wheel
Old 03-31-2012, 11:30 PM   #13
Doug2000 is on a distinguished road

Doug2000's Tacoma Gallery
Plastic Chrome

Dodge did that back in 05 when they started putting the 20"s on the Ram. It's nothing new. Most people wouldn't take care of chrome.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:10 AM   #14
captain.cardinal1 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: staff sgt
Name: chad
captain.cardinal1's Tacoma Gallery
i hate chrome, the plastic covers are, however a great idea. people dont know how to take care of actual chrome wheels and in severe winter areas, salt destroys them. having said that... my xd monsters are on their way
Old 04-01-2012, 08:37 AM   #15
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Not bad. Not sure why they went with a cover.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:14 AM   #16
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
And what was the purpose of this thread?
Old 04-01-2012, 09:23 AM   #17
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC10TRDSPORT View Post
I love the sequoia/tundra wheels and really want a set but they are hard to find
A set in the Marketplace right now.
Local pickup in PA and some peeling around the lugs on one or two, but overall they're pretty nice:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy...-17x7-5-a.html
Old 04-01-2012, 09:25 AM   #18
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC10TRDSPORT View Post
You can have mine when I'm done with 'em. But they're rock rashed all to hell.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #19
Strider is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Ramp Dog
Name: Pete
Strider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post
And what was the purpose of this thread?
I believe it was to educate us on what's underneath the "chrome clad" rims.
Thanks for putting the pics on. I just bought my 2012 Tacoma and was wondering what was under there.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:48 AM   #20
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
^ Oh gotcha, to show what's underneath the plastic. Fair enough, worthy thread.