Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Opinions needed on TPMS situation

View Poll Results: What to do with TPMS
Insist the shop fixes it (possible headache) 6 85.71%
Disable the system 1 14.29%
Insist they put regular stems in free, disable the system and sell the sensors that work. 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-29-2011, 06:06 AM   #1
Come and take them.
bendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
bendbolden's Tacoma Gallery
Opinions needed on TPMS situation

I had my Duratracs put on Wednesday evening and last night my TPMS light began blinking for one minute then going solid indicating a malfunction in the TPMS. Every thread I could find pretty much said that the shop probably broke a sensor. I am going this evening to have them scan it and hopefully fix the problem. I don't know if they are going to try to stick me or not. Anyone else had an experience like this? Also if they do or don't fix it I am debating just disabling the whole TPMS using the "blue wire method". I don't see the need for it. Has anyone run into problems doing this?
Old 12-29-2011, 06:24 AM   #2
NBHNC
Rusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty
Rusty 06 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
even if they do it for free and you have to but the past it wouldnt be that bad. but hopefully they will just replace it for free.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:32 AM   #3
Come and take them.
bendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I went to this shop instead of Walmart because everyone said Walmart will break your TPMS sensors.HA! This seems to be a common occurence too. Are these things that fragile?
Old 12-29-2011, 06:54 AM   #4
NBHNC
Rusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I dont know I went to discount tire when I got mine and had no probs.. I am not sure what a replacement cost form the dealer..god luck post your progress
Old 12-29-2011, 06:55 AM   #5
Come and take them.

I think they are pretty expensive. The more I read about batteries failing in 5 years and all that I am leaning more towards disabling it. I would like to hear from some folks that have done this with no problems.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:58 AM   #6
NBHNC

yep me too since mine is 5 1/2 years
Old 12-29-2011, 07:01 AM   #7
Come and take them.

For anyone wondering here is the method I am considering.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...my-2008-a.html
Old 12-29-2011, 02:31 PM   #8
ATweezy is on a distinguished road

Marines: Sergeant of Marines
Name: Brad
ATweezy's Tacoma Gallery
Did you have them do a tpms rebuild kit on each sensor?

I'm just asking bc I'm pretty sure they are battery operated and part of the rebuild kit is a new battery.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:33 PM   #9
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
I had to disable it in my Dads 08. It was always coming on saying low tire pressure. Checked the spare, had all the TPMS replaced by Toyota, still had problems. I did the same steps as you just posted a link to and he hasn't had any issues since then.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #10
Come and take them.

No. The shop didn't do a rebuild kit on it. I am not impressed with the shop but I just don't want to fight them about it. I have fought with Toyota over various things this year and I am seriously debating never letting anyone work on my truck again unless I absolutely can not do whatever it is. In that case I will insist on standing next to them the whole time supervising. I believe these tire shops and dealerships just have so much business to get in and out the quality suffers. I have made my mind up to disable it this evening.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:05 AM   #11
Come and take them.

The shop blamed it on a dead battery and didn't want to fix it for free. (surprise surprise). Who knows maybe it was just coincidence that it went dead immediately after they changed my tires. Anyways I disabled it last night and I am happy!