Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Anybody have issues with Duratracs?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-30-2011, 11:44 AM   #21
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdracing5 View Post
I put a set on my sons 4Runner. The Toyota dealership said they were the worst set of tires and wheels (factory toyota) that they had ever tried to balance. They said they were close but admitted they were not able to get them perfectly balanced.
Plus they are LOUD as hell-but hey isn't that what you want.
Loud as hell is an over-statement.

MTGirl has th post of the thread if anyone wants to know about Duratracs.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:49 PM   #22
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
shampoop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdracing5 View Post
I put a set on my sons 4Runner. The Toyota dealership said they were the worst set of tires and wheels (factory toyota) that they had ever tried to balance. They said they were close but admitted they were not able to get them perfectly balanced.
Plus they are LOUD as hell-but hey isn't that what you want.
What kind of wheels were they on? The wheel type makes a much larger impact on balancing than the tire. Also, dealerships don't actually do that many tires, if they couldn't get the tires zeroed, they don't know what they're doing or have faulty equipment.

And duratracs definitely are not loud as hell, that's just flat out wrong. Just because you can hear the tires does not mean they're loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTgirl View Post
If you read a lot of the negative reviews on Duratracs you will start to see a pattern...mainly not getting a tire that is suited to their vehicle and or climate.

The people who complain about them wearing too fast live in hot climates. These are winter tires and are made out of a softer rubber to gain more traction in winter (ie COLD) conditions. If you run winter tires, Duratracs or others, in the desert they will wear faster. Its not a defect.

The people who complain about the sloppy handling etc had them on full size, 3/4 or 1 ton trucks. They are (mostly) load C / 2 ply side wall tires, if you put them on larger, heavier vehicles then yes they will handle sloppy.

I have had my Duratracs for over a year now, 17k miles and I have about 2/3's of the tread left. I fully expect to get 30k out of them and I think that that is fairly good, if I can get 2 winters out of a tire I'm happy. It was difficult to get them balanced at first but that again is just the nature of the tire.
Truth, I noticed the exact same things when researching as well. Most light truck reviews are excellent and seem to get between 30-50k miles per set.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #23
lundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Justin
lundy's Tacoma Gallery
Well they did handle a little sloppier than I'd like. And when I spoke about heavier vehicles and sloppy handling that was regarding the E rated. I'm sure these get nicer as they wear down a little bit. I think the tall soft tread depth is what was causing the sloppy feeling I speak of and also the culprit for the great snow and ice traction. I'll be swapping them out for Terra Grapplers again.

Thanks for all of the input. It's very much appreciated.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #24
alexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud of
Name: Eric
alexander323bc's Tacoma Gallery
Lundy- I had terra grapplers on my 4runner and I just gave the dynopro a try on my tacoma and I have to say for the price they are handling very very well. give em a look save some cash
Old 01-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #25
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTgirl View Post
These are winter tires and are made out of a softer rubber to gain more traction in winter (ie COLD) conditions.
Show me any documentation that states either of these claims.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #26
the risk is worth the reward
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
mattmxracer's Tacoma Gallery
traction is all I have to say about these tires in rain, snow, and dry weather, Had them in 8 inches of snow today coming down steep grades and steep uphills and truck did so good, way better than my rugged trails. The tires do have a little hum to them but I like it, tire shop had a little trouble balancing them but no big deal, I have 265/75/16 with 2k on them and love the look and traction they provide.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #27
lundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
lundy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJuice View Post
Show me any documentation that states either of these claims.
Read the last paragraph. They are branded with the snowflake symbol as they meet DOT requirements for sever weather. i.e. snow and ice.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....eMake=Goodyear
Old 01-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #28
lundy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander323bc View Post
Lundy- I had terra grapplers on my 4runner and I just gave the dynopro a try on my tacoma and I have to say for the price they are handling very very well. give em a look save some cash
I've heard a lot of good things lately about the Hankooks. I buy direct from Nitto through my company account though so the price isn't too bad. The kook's do look like a good snow tire though. The tire weights are good too.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #29
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post
Read the last paragraph. They are branded with the snowflake symbol as they meet DOT requirements for sever weather. i.e. snow and ice.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....eMake=Goodyear
Good deal
Old 01-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #30
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shampoop View Post
What kind of wheels were they on? The wheel type makes a much larger impact on balancing than the tire. Also, dealerships don't actually do that many tires, if they couldn't get the tires zeroed, they don't know what they're doing or have faulty equipment.

And duratracs definitely are not loud as hell, that's just flat out wrong. Just because you can hear the tires does not mean they're loud.
I agree with you on duratrac's not being loud, as well as dealerships not being good places to have tires balanced. You are confused about your wheel statement though, it's WAY more common for tires to be out of round than for wheels to be, unless the wheel has a bend in it that is causing a hop. Tires are almost always the culprit for balancing issues.

BTW OP, any interest in selling your Duratrac's if you're switching them out?
Old 01-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #31
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
I like mine but have foughts vibes despite rebalance, and I rotate every 3k, tread is great. snow and offroad is great. I got favorable chalk line at wide range of psi, so I run em at 40 and air down to 25 for trails. If you want a lightwt. tire that does everything well this is it but be prepared to fight vibes. If you insist on smoother ride then go AT (Nitto TerraGrap or BFG).
Old 01-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #32
lundy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettBretterson View Post

I already have them sold locally. Just waiting for my TG's to show up. Sometimes with the rebates the tire shops online have pretty good sales. I paid $720 for the set. That was my wholesale cost but I feel like I've seen people get them cheaper.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #33
lundy's Tacoma Gallery
Oh and just so everyone knows they weren't bad to balance. I did some geometric matching (which I do anyways) and didn't have one tire take more than 2.25 oz. So to those that think they're unbalanceable they definitely are not.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:24 PM   #34
alexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud of
Name: Eric
alexander323bc's Tacoma Gallery
Lundy I forgot about your connections. Terra's are a solid tire you can't go wrong. If you recall I am out by buffalo we got 12 inches yesterday same day as I put the kooks and they did amazing.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #35
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Absolutely no issues whatsoever. By-far the best tire I've ever run. Great dry traction, great snow traction, even wear, no balancing issues, couldn't be happier.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:13 PM   #36
RI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
RI Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Not to thread jack, but I am thinking of getting a set of C load Duratracs in 265/70/17. Anyone notice a change in MPG after changing tires?
Old 01-04-2012, 12:30 PM   #37
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP3 View Post
I've noticed 'squirmy' and sidewall issues from full-size truck guys. As far as I know, they are a Light Truck tire, so the complaints from full-size trucks makes sense.
I've got a little "squirmy-ness" in mine but I've also got to get the alignment looked at (pulls to the right). I know it's a Tundra, but it's technically not a fullsize truck.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #38
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Tacoma View Post
Not to thread jack, but I am thinking of getting a set of C load Duratracs in 265/70/17. Anyone notice a change in MPG after changing tires?
1 or 2 on the highway with 265/75/16.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #39
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtav2002 View Post
1 or 2 on the highway with 265/75/16.
Same here. But mine got better at around 10k and also less stone flinging and less tread squirm. I read other reviews online saying mpgs improved at that interval as well. I've milked some over 20 and over 21 tanks with the DTs.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #40
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
shampoop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettBretterson View Post
I agree with you on duratrac's not being loud, as well as dealerships not being good places to have tires balanced. You are confused about your wheel statement though, it's WAY more common for tires to be out of round than for wheels to be, unless the wheel has a bend in it that is causing a hop. Tires are almost always the culprit for balancing issues.

Yes, you are correct, the tire is the part of the wheel tire combo that is what causes the imbalance, however the WHEEL is what makes it DIFFICULT to balance. If you can use hammer on weights on a wheel inside and out, it is easy to balance, no matter what unless you have faulty equipment.

However if you need to use adhesive backed weights, because of the wheel design, especially on wheels with a lower offset, it can be very difficult. Many people try to dynamic balance a wheel that they should just static balance due to the low offset and need for adhesive backed weights. It is especially common on truck wheels.