Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Anybody have issues with Duratracs?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-06-2012, 03:43 AM   #41
ratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ratrod's Tacoma Gallery
My duratracs are perfectly balanced, very little road noise and do get a little squirmy on highway fast lane changes. I think its probably due to the taller height from stock 265/70 to 265/75, wider, more aggressive tread pattern of a AT and the fact that they are a real truck tire and not a modified truck/street tire like the originals. Lets face it, with a little lift and aggressive tread compared to the standard tire, your truck will drive like a truck now and not a car. I will probably buy wheel spacers for highway driving to see if that improves the squirminess. Love my tire, the only thing I dont like is that they are not 285s! Damn I might have to size up!
Old 01-06-2012, 04:18 AM   #42
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
My only issue with the Duratracs is that I left them on the 05 when trading it for the 08. Got Silent Armors this time because I am prerunner and do mostly pavement driving. IMO, there is no better AT tire than the Duratrac. AT leaning more toward offroad tire that is. I consider my SA's AT leaning more toward pavement.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:07 AM   #43
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shampoop View Post
Yes, you are correct, the tire is the part of the wheel tire combo that is what causes the imbalance, however the WHEEL is what makes it DIFFICULT to balance. If you can use hammer on weights on a wheel inside and out, it is easy to balance, no matter what unless you have faulty equipment.

However if you need to use adhesive backed weights, because of the wheel design, especially on wheels with a lower offset, it can be very difficult. Many people try to dynamic balance a wheel that they should just static balance due to the low offset and need for adhesive backed weights. It is especially common on truck wheels.
Shampoop, by dynamic balancing do u mean adding beads to the tires? What are your thoughts on adding dynabeads to already stick-on balanced tires? thanks
Old 01-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #44
lundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Justin
lundy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airun View Post
Shampoop, by dynamic balancing do u mean adding beads to the tires? What are your thoughts on adding dynabeads to already stick-on balanced tires? thanks
Dynamic balancing would be weights on the inside and outside of the wheel when applicable or on an aluminum wheel it would mean having tape/stick weights on the portion of the wheel right behind the spoke and another weight on the inner most portion of the wheel or closest to the rear lip. Static balancing is when you only use weight in one section of the wheel. Dynabeads have worked well for a few customers of mine. Although most of them run large Toyo M/T's which are pretty round to begin with and usually require very little weight anyways so I don't of their experiences would be very accurate. Find somebody with swampers that runs them. If it helps them they'll help anybody!!
Old 01-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #45
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post
Dynamic balancing would be weights on the inside and outside of the wheel when applicable or on an aluminum wheel it would mean having tape/stick weights on the portion of the wheel right behind the spoke and another weight on the inner most portion of the wheel or closest to the rear lip. Static balancing is when you only use weight in one section of the wheel. Dynabeads have worked well for a few customers of mine. Although most of them run large Toyo M/T's which are pretty round to begin with and usually require very little weight anyways so I don't of their experiences would be very accurate. Find somebody with swampers that runs them. If it helps them they'll help anybody!!
+1 to everything lundy said. Airun, just to make sure things are clear, dynamic balancing is not the same as adding beads. I would exhaust all formal balancing options(static and dynamic) before resorting to dynabeads.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #46
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post
I actually have roughly 6 oz worth of air soft beads in each of mine.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #47
Motivator
YayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Police Caller
YayAreaTaco0311's Tacoma Gallery
25K miles on mine and still going strong. It's my daily driver and I've been off-roading in them, lost count of how many times I hit the curb both when the vehicle is in motion and while parking, driven in the pouring rain, and ran over a few debris on the roadway and it's still holding up good. They are 265/75/16 with load range C on a stock supercharged Tacoma. I get them rotated every 5K miles when I get my oil changed. Would I buy it again? Fuck yes!
Old 01-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #48
alove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Adam
alove0750's Tacoma Gallery
I have 25K on mine with about 65 - 60 percent left. I will probably end up getting them again. They have done everything needed of them and then some in many cases. I have just made a point to rotate them religiously (every oil change/4000 mi) and no issues or un-even wear
Old 01-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #49
rookie
ryan c is on a distinguished road

Name: ryan
ryan c's Tacoma Gallery
got the same size. i got mine installed dec. 3rd. felt squirmy at 35psi americas tire co. set it at. heard about the chalk test o n here so ive now got mine down to 28 psi in front and 21 psi in the back and it still isnt rubbing the edges.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #50
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Ok had mine rebalanced the other day after my last post and they are vibe-free and the sound is improved 50%. 3rd times a charm. Damn these things perform so well and look so neat it's hard to imagine anything better.
I don't know of any shops around with a Roadforce machine or that do geometric matching. Very rural area. The shop I use is some older guys and the name on the bldg is the guy running the impact and the machine so I trust them. Knowing that I've hassled a bit with these tires they actually suggested I consider beads to constantly compensate for any changes. Of course they probably think I'm picky too.
Oh well satisfied for now.
What would be drawback of throwing a couple ounces of beads in each tire other than cost for little to no gain.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #51

Airun's Tacoma Gallery
thoughts guys, still following???????????????
Old 01-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #52
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
I'm on my 2nd set of them. I haven't had any of the issues stated above. I have about 20k miles on my current set of 285/70/17 D's and they haven't been balanced since they were first mounted and they still ride smooth. I haven't had to get them rebalanced. I rotate every 5k miles in a criss-cross pattern. They hum on the road but that's to be expected. If you're looking for a good AT tire, don't expect them to be quiet. They're great tires in the snow and ice (the rare times it does snow here) and they're great off road.

My last set (265/75/16 C's) had about 27k miles when I sold them about a year ago and they still had plenty of life left in them. I actually saw the guy I sold them to recently and he was still riding on them. Here's a pic of them right before I sold them w/ 27k miles. We have a relatively warm climate here.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #53
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
i loved mine when i had them and would have gotten them again if they made them in a 295 size.

the only negative thing i could say about them was they tend to wander on the high way a bit this is most likely due to the huge amount of siping thats on them.

i had called goodyear to ask about the siping and apparently it goes all the way down to the bottom of each lug. so each lug is in fact many lugs that are just spaced very close to one another if that makes sense.

this is what goodyear had told me i took them at their word and it seemed to be correct as they did wander a bit at speed nothing bad but, it was noticeable.

mine seemed to wear even although i didn't have them for a lot of miles. others i know that run them have really used them a lot and they also seem to really like them and have had way more time and miles than i did.

mine also balanced out pretty well but, i road force everything
so that may have something to do with it.

i would also describe their grip as extreme they where awesome tires in that aspect! i don't think you will regret the purchase i sure didn't they also look great.

i went with white out but if i had gotten them again it would have been black out.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #54
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What would be drawback of throwing a couple ounces of beads in each tire other than cost for little to no gain.
The only potential drawback I can think of to Dynabeads is I've heard that in moist climates the beads tend to clump together (though the manufacturer says they don't clump, so who knows), which would negate their purpose (and even cause more vibes than without).

Personally I view dynabeads along the same lines as putting nitrogen in tires: gimmicky, mostly because of cost. Yes, nitrogen stabilizes psi better than regular compressed air, but is it really worth the cost? Same way I feel about dynabeads (~$10/tire?!).

PS, Dynabeads recommends 6 oz. per tire in a stock sized Tacoma tire.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #55
Conceal Carry
slodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant future

Name: Steven
slodc4's Tacoma Gallery
i have 10k on mine and they look new. I have very minimal vibrations, but that could be from my lift.

these tires absolutely suck in thick sand. they just dig like crazy making it a fun time.

ill probally buy another set
Old 01-12-2012, 01:56 AM   #56
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
shampoop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have no experience with dynabeads or anything like them. I know how they're supposed to work, but know nothing about their effectiveness.

The easiest way to think of the difference between static and dynamic balancing is that static only deals with the up and down imbalance, and only uses sticky weights in one spot in the exact center of the wheel.

Dynamic balancing also deals with the "left and right" imbalance by placing weights either on the inner and outer lip, at different positions on the clock face or by using sticky weights as close to each edge as possible.

Most vehicles today have wheels that have a "positive" offset, so because the spokes are so far from the middle of the wheel, you can place sticky weights behind them and still be putting them on the right side of the wheel. But some wheels have offsets closer to "zero", especially trucks with wider than stock aftermarket wheels. It ends up making it so that the farthest you can place the sticky weights to the right is still the center of the wheel, meaning you can't dynamic balance it. It's like trying to sit in the middle axis of a see saw and trying to balance the weight of your friend sitting way out on the seat. Lots of times, less experienced techs try to dynamic balance these wheels when they should just static balance them. Static imbalance is what causes by far most of the vibrations you can actually feel. I seriously think it may not even be possible to feel a dynamic imbalance in a truck.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:50 AM   #57
shooter3225 is on a distinguished road
Name: Tyler
shooter3225's Tacoma Gallery
So I live in So Cal where we don't get snow and ice but I was really leaning towards these tires. I am on pavement and off road a lot too..still a good choice? Seems as if most are highlighting their performance in snow and cold weather and I'm just curious if it's worth it for me to buy these.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #58
lundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Justin
lundy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have no experience with dynabeads or anything like them. I know how they're supposed to work, but know nothing about their effectiveness.

The easiest way to think of the difference between static and dynamic balancing is that static only deals with the up and down imbalance, and only uses sticky weights in one spot in the exact center of the wheel.

Dynamic balancing also deals with the "left and right" imbalance by placing weights either on the inner and outer lip, at different positions on the clock face or by using sticky weights as close to each edge as possible.

Most vehicles today have wheels that have a "positive" offset, so because the spokes are so far from the middle of the wheel, you can place sticky weights behind them and still be putting them on the right side of the wheel. But some wheels have offsets closer to "zero", especially trucks with wider than stock aftermarket wheels. It ends up making it so that the farthest you can place the sticky weights to the right is still the center of the wheel, meaning you can't dynamic balance it. It's like trying to sit in the middle axis of a see saw and trying to balance the weight of your friend sitting way out on the seat. Lots of times, less experienced techs try to dynamic balance these wheels when they should just static balance them. Static imbalance is what causes by far most of the vibrations you can actually feel. I seriously think it may not even be possible to feel a dynamic imbalance in a truck.
I think a lot of modern truck wheels get a lot of there offset from the thickness of the mounting pad. It's much cheaper for a manufacture to have only one mold and control the the offset by simply leaving a thicker mounting pad for a zero to negative offset or taking away more of the mounting pad for a positive offset. Thus leaving plenty of room to still get adhesive weights on the left and right side of the wheel.

Though I do agree about the wheels that have little to no room to do a dynamic balance. People should not attempt it when the inner most weight isn't well beyond the the center line of the wheel (in the area that would be considered positive offset).
Old 01-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #59
RickN is on a distinguished road

RickN's Tacoma Gallery
Just bought mine so cant comment on how they preform but after driving with them for a few days I have no regret.

What pressure do you guys run these? The tire shop set mine to 35psi.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:42 AM   #60

Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

interesting, thanks for posting sham!