Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Anybody have issues with Duratracs?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-15-2012, 10:01 PM   #61
santas212 is a glorious beacon of lightsantas212 is a glorious beacon of lightsantas212 is a glorious beacon of lightsantas212 is a glorious beacon of lightsantas212 is a glorious beacon of light

Navy: Strategic Sealift Officer
Name: Steve
santas212's Tacoma Gallery
Doing some research on these i am seeing two different load ratings in the tire size i want. looking at 265/70/17's they have load C and load E. The load ratings come with varied top speed ratings as well something like 108 and 121, not that i need to be running anywhere near these.

Just wondering what you guys think, i was wondering if the load E tire would be a more stable road & highway tire? They are a bit more expensive per tire, but i spend more time on road than off and don't want to encounter the "road squirm" or "softness" some people have talked about.

This may be a product of the siping and not the load rating though. (i had to look up siping btw > basically it is a process of slicing cuts in the tire treads that add traction.)

suggestions?
Old 01-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #62
Night In The Ruts!
09DC4X4 has a spectacular aura about09DC4X4 has a spectacular aura about09DC4X4 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Brian
09DC4X4's Tacoma Gallery
I have the load range C and they ride very nice. Traction in all weather conditions is great. I run 34 psi front and 30 psi rear. No problems or regrets.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:56 AM   #63
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by santas212 View Post
Doing some research on these i am seeing two different load ratings in the tire size i want. looking at 265/70/17's they have load C and load E. The load ratings come with varied top speed ratings as well something like 108 and 121, not that i need to be running anywhere near these.

Just wondering what you guys think, i was wondering if the load E tire would be a more stable road & highway tire? They are a bit more expensive per tire, but i spend more time on road than off and don't want to encounter the "road squirm" or "softness" some people have talked about.

suggestions?
Save your money and stick with C's, E's are complete overkill for our trucks. The load ratings are for towing capabilities and E's far exceed what our trucks are capable of.

As far as speed ratings, those are based upon running that speed for about 8 hours straight, so you don't need to even to think about taking that into consideration.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #64
shooter3225 is on a distinguished road
Name: Tyler
shooter3225's Tacoma Gallery
Bump...Anyone have any issues with these on sharp rocks? There are a couple spots I go shooting and it has some rocky terrain.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:57 AM   #65
MattN03 is a jewel in the roughMattN03 is a jewel in the roughMattN03 is a jewel in the roughMattN03 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Matt
MattN03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter3225 View Post
Bump...Anyone have any issues with these on sharp rocks? There are a couple spots I go shooting and it has some rocky terrain.
I have about 15,000 miles on mine and they are wearing well with rotating every 5000 miles. I don't necessary go off-road trail riding, but do go offroad when going ATVing and for use on our property. I have found some pretty good cuts and chunks out of one rear tire on mine. I'm guessing to much throttle in 2wd and the tire catching on rocks caused it. I'm unsure how they would hold up to rocks at a slower pace, say 4LO. I love the tires, they get excellent traction in all the conditions I've subjected them too. Now if we could just get some snow!
Old 02-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #66
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Mine have held up fine in 4LO.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #68
hillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hillbillynwv's Tacoma Gallery
I have over 26K on mine and they still have over half tread. I have no complaints about these tires, when they are worn out I will buy them again. I run 32 psi in all four.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #69
Koby is on a distinguished road

Navy: port inspection diver
Koby's Tacoma Gallery
I have a set of 265/70/17's with about 10,000km on them. Balancing has been a bit of an issue. Roadforce balanced and still have vibe above 100kph. They do squirm a bit on the highway but no biggie. They are noisier than BFG AT's but not bad! Just wish the damn things would be easier to balance.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:00 AM   #70
gman eb is on a distinguished road
gman eb's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys! First time posting, somewhat of a long time follower here. I’ve done some searching here and other forums, but I’d like to get your opinions. I have been running these Duratracs 265/75 16’s load C for about 4 years now with 40k on them. I love these tires! The treads are still decent after all the mileage too. No problems until recently. I rotated my tires about a month ago. Before that, it had been awhile. What prompted the rotation, besides it had been awhile, is that two of my tires became really, really noisy. The other two have no noise at all. Also, a lot of vibration associated with the two noisy tires (now on the back). So, do you guys think that in time the wear/noise will even out? Should I balance them again, and maybe a realignment? Is it a cupping issue? Or is it just time to get a new set? To top it off, one of the rear tires is currently flat (happened last night). No sign of a hole, puncture, cut, etc. either. But that’s another issue.

Sorry for the long post. I’d appreciate any input!
Old 04-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #71
Damaged Goods
CVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
CVYota's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!

after a bit of wear they start to get louder, sounds like the one tire got there first. I rotate every 5k and I get the road noise from all 4. I have close to 30k.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:43 AM   #72
gman eb's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks! I know with wear and age, the tires would become louder. The thing is, I have two that are quiet as can be, while the other two have pretty much become unbearable.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:27 AM   #73
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman eb View Post
Hey guys! First time posting, somewhat of a long time follower here. I’ve done some searching here and other forums, but I’d like to get your opinions. I have been running these Duratracs 265/75 16’s load C for about 4 years now with 40k on them. I love these tires! The treads are still decent after all the mileage too. No problems until recently. I rotated my tires about a month ago. Before that, it had been awhile. What prompted the rotation, besides it had been awhile, is that two of my tires became really, really noisy. The other two have no noise at all. Also, a lot of vibration associated with the two noisy tires (now on the back). So, do you guys think that in time the wear/noise will even out? Should I balance them again, and maybe a realignment? Is it a cupping issue? Or is it just time to get a new set? To top it off, one of the rear tires is currently flat (happened last night). No sign of a hole, puncture, cut, etc. either. But that’s another issue.

Sorry for the long post. I’d appreciate any input!
The two that were on the front are most likely cupped. The cupping could be caused by worn out shocks or bad alignment, or you could have just waited too long to rotate them. The front always wear harder than the rears, which is why you want to rotate so frequently.

Balance isn't going to help the wear/noise. Now that they're on the rear, they will probably even back out a little bit, but once tires go down that road, they never come back to normal. As far as being time for a new set, that just depends on how worn they are. Post a picture?
Old 04-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #74
gman eb's Tacoma Gallery
That's what I was hoping for...to re-balance out a bit by switching them to the back. I can snag a photo when I get home. I honestly don't think the treads are all that bad.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #75
gman eb's Tacoma Gallery
Here are a few photos. I actually had my timeline messed up. I've had them for 2 1/2 years, but still the 40k on them, surprisingly. These are the tires in question. Rolling them across the drive way they definitely wobble a lot and seem to have an uneven surface all across.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #76
Mr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mr.Ed's Tacoma Gallery
I only have one. I don't have them.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #77
gman eb's Tacoma Gallery
The flat tire I have might be damaged. It's pretty warped on the side walls. Looks like I might have to invest in at least two new tires, but with 40k on them, maybe just do all four.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #78
BnbBlitz is just really niceBnbBlitz is just really niceBnbBlitz is just really niceBnbBlitz is just really niceBnbBlitz is just really nice

Name: Mike
BnbBlitz's Tacoma Gallery
Ive ran them for about 10k. They are wearing just fine with a rotate every other oil change. They howl like a hound but that doesnt bother me. Balancing has been an issue for me but it might be the steel rims I have. Love them off the road but they dont do well on ice needless to say...Anyways, they sure do look bad ass. As for my next set of rubber, Ill buy something less agressive
Old 02-06-2014, 09:42 PM   #79
Damaged Goods
CVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
CVYota's Tacoma Gallery
I wanted to resurect this thread, I have over 50k on my 265 75 16r E and they still have about 10k left, so I am debating getting another set.

They have been great tires in all weather. Although they are really loud now and my mileage has been getting lower.

However, I lost one offroading, due to a cut in the sidewall, which seeems to be the issue with the Duratracs, has anyone else seen this?
Old 02-07-2014, 05:24 AM   #80
mistaare is on a distinguished road
mistaare's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag4892 View Post
However, I lost one offroading, due to a cut in the sidewall, which seeems to be the issue with the Duratracs, has anyone else seen this?
I have been wondering this myself....

Dont have them now but will be purchasing a set soon...