Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Anybody have issues with Duratracs?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-29-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
lundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Justin
lundy's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody have issues with Duratracs?

I have a set in the shop (265/70R17 6 Ply) I'm gonna install soon but every time I do a search in other forums there is a lot of complaints "they wear too fast" "impossible to balance" "squirmy on the highway" "sidewall is too soft"... But on this forum they seem to be gods gift to earth. I've done quite a few searches on TW and everyone seems to love them. I'm just wondering if anybody has had a bad experience with them? If you have had issues what tire do/did you like better?

Old 12-29-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
pavement is boring....
lotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jace
lotsoftoys's Tacoma Gallery
Goodyears rubber is softer, thats just the way it is... but people ar egetting 30+ K OUT OF THEM???? IF I GET 30 ILL BE HAPPY. THEY ARENT THAT BAD TO BALANCE, IM A TECH TOO. AND only thing ive noticed is u have to keep up on your rotations and make sure u align. other than that i love them sry about caps stupid work computer
Old 12-29-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
A country boy can survive
pyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
pyroskier's Tacoma Gallery
I love mine. I'm sure it may wear faster, but they're awesome in the snow. Anywhere from deep stuff to ice on the highway, they do great.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah they are great tires i have 15,000 miles on mine with over 80% tread left. the side walls are soft for rock crawling I have a few cuts in mine but nothing too bad.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:45 PM   #5
lundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
lundy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsoftoys View Post
Goodyears rubber is softer, thats just the way it is... but people ar egetting 30+ K OUT OF THEM???? IF I GET 30 ILL BE HAPPY. THEY ARENT THAT BAD TO BALANCE, IM A TECH TOO. AND only thing ive noticed is u have to keep up on your rotations and make sure u align. other than that i love them sry about caps stupid work computer
Good to hear from a tech on this matter. I can deal with the wear but I hate vibrations.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:52 PM   #6
swendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
swendling12's Tacoma Gallery
I have about 21k on mine, and this is the third winter I've had them on. Over 50% tread left, no major issues, had one die on me with a weird cut tread/sidewall puncture last week, had to drive flat on it on the interstate for 2 miles and it held up. Goodyear covered it under warranty for 50% of cost. Saved me over $110. My tire shop does balance and rotation for free every 5k, so no issues with vibration. Pretty great tire overall.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:55 PM   #7
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
30k out of a set of $1000 tires is too little for me. I much prefer BFG All Terrains. But they aren't as good in snow, sand or mud (though they certainly aren't bad). It all depends on what you do. If you're offroad a lot, Duratracs are great. If your vehicle logs a lot of road / highway miles and MPG matters, look elsewhere .. though I would take Duratracs over Mud Terrains any day.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:55 PM   #8
Team Impulse Red
CHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dan
CHPTR11's Tacoma Gallery
I have about 8,000 miles on mine with minimal wear. Not too loud, and don't notice any instability on the freeway. Overall I really like them and wouldn't hesitate to buy them again.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:03 PM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Mine still look great after about 20k miles. Mine were squirmy at first but only because the pressures were set too high. I did a chalk test and they were happy at stock pressures.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #10
lundy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
30k out of a set of $1000 tires is too little for me. I much prefer BFG All Terrains. But they aren't as good in snow, sand or mud (though they certainly aren't bad). It all depends on what you do. If you're offroad a lot, Duratracs are great. If your vehicle logs a lot of road / highway miles and MPG matters, look elsewhere .. though I would take Duratracs over Mud Terrains any day.
My daily commute is only 15 miles round trip daily. All stop and go. My main reason for these is snow and the occasional offroad adventure. I am actually hoping to get a little better MPG as I am taking off my 20" BMF's with 305's for 17" with the 265's. We'll see though.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:31 PM   #11
lundy's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the responses. I was doing some more searches on other forums and it's mainly the guys with 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks that were the most issues. The Tacoma/4Runner/FJ and Jeep guys seem to like them a lot more. I guess they're just not for the heavier vehicles.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:35 PM   #12
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
I'm too lazy to read through what everyone else said on this post but I'll just say what I know. I have the same exact size, class c. They have much harder rubber then most tires in its category, although they are difficult to balance. I had them balanced and payed for an allignment, and my steering still has a shake, that it didn't have before. I have heard GREAT things about the tires, in how well they perform and how long they last. I have only had mine on for about a month, so I can't tell you they have lasted for a long time, yet. They are great tires so far though.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:46 PM   #13
Come and take them.
bendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
bendbolden's Tacoma Gallery
Didn't have any trouble balancing mine. 235/85/16 on TRD OR wheels.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:02 PM   #14
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
I've noticed 'squirmy' and sidewall issues from full-size truck guys. As far as I know, they are a Light Truck tire, so the complaints from full-size trucks makes sense.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #15
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
I put a set on a neighbor's rubicon, in the 285-17 size, with giant studs for the ice. He felt they were lousy climbing an icy, gravel, mountain road to his house on top. However, after a winter and a piece of use, they still look new.

Howard
Old 12-29-2011, 07:10 PM   #16
trdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trdracing5's Tacoma Gallery
I put a set on my sons 4Runner. The Toyota dealership said they were the worst set of tires and wheels (factory toyota) that they had ever tried to balance. They said they were close but admitted they were not able to get them perfectly balanced.
Plus they are LOUD as hell-but hey isn't that what you want.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:17 PM   #17
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
I loved mine.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:19 PM   #18
medictrack will become famous soon enoughmedictrack will become famous soon enough
Name: Bill
medictrack's Tacoma Gallery
I love mine and have had no problems with them
Old 12-29-2011, 07:20 PM   #19
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
If you read a lot of the negative reviews on Duratracs you will start to see a pattern...mainly not getting a tire that is suited to their vehicle and or climate.

The people who complain about them wearing too fast live in hot climates. These are winter tires and are made out of a softer rubber to gain more traction in winter (ie COLD) conditions. If you run winter tires, Duratracs or others, in the desert they will wear faster. Its not a defect.

The people who complain about the sloppy handling etc had them on full size, 3/4 or 1 ton trucks. They are (mostly) load C / 2 ply side wall tires, if you put them on larger, heavier vehicles then yes they will handle sloppy.

I have had my Duratracs for over a year now, 17k miles and I have about 2/3's of the tread left. I fully expect to get 30k out of them and I think that that is fairly good, if I can get 2 winters out of a tire I'm happy. It was difficult to get them balanced at first but that again is just the nature of the tire.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:27 PM   #20
NORTHERN RED-NECK
udy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
udy2554's Tacoma Gallery
I think mine are the best snowtire I've yet to run, (studless). I have about 17,500miles on mine with what I would consider minimal wear. I expect to get at least 40,000 out of them, if not more. Aired down a little, they perform very well in just about any terrain, though I haven't done any rockcrawling with them.

The tread pattern is kind of a mix between an all-terrain and a mud-terrain tire. Lots of sipes too.

Keep them balanced and rotated and pay attention to your pressures and they will serve you well.

I love mine and would buy them again. I wish I could afford a studded set just for winter!