Tires and Brakes Serviced!

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-29-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
Nuckolls214 is on a distinguished road

Name: Bryan
Nuckolls214's Tacoma Gallery
Tires and Brakes Serviced!

Hey all
i just took my truck to a local mom and pop shop cuz i know the owners and trust the guy:
my steering wheel had been shaking vigorously when i was breaking and even when driving around 65
so today they're rotating and balancing all 4 tires, cleaning my rear brakes and adjusting them, and replacing my front brakes all for $218! i think its a good price what do you guys think?

Also i had been taking them to American Tire Co. for rotation and balance cuz they did it for free but every time i had them balanced they kept adding weights to the tires? before i took it in today i had around 5 or 6 weights on one tire alone, is this how they are usually done or is American tire cutting corners? lemme know what you all think!
Old 12-29-2011, 11:06 AM   #2
nadera17 is on a distinguished road
Name: Nader
nadera17's Tacoma Gallery
4-5 weights on one tire is a lot. Might be a balancing machine issue or have you ever used fix-a-flat? sometimes if there is liquid in the tire, it won't balance properly.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:41 AM   #3
Rellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant future
Law Enforcement: Police Officer (retired NYPD)
Name: Craig
Rellik01's Tacoma Gallery
I think they should be removing the weights prior to balancing and starting with a "fresh" wheel.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellik01 View Post
I think they should be removing the weights prior to balancing and starting with a "fresh" wheel.
This
Old 12-30-2011, 11:16 AM   #5
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
you got that right.just another reason i do my own work.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:48 PM   #6
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckolls214 View Post
Also i had been taking them to American Tire Co. for rotation and balance cuz they did it for free but every time i had them balanced they kept adding weights to the tires? before i took it in today i had around 5 or 6 weights on one tire alone, is this how they are usually done or is American tire cutting corners? lemme know what you all think!
I think you got what you paid for. That is NOT how to properly balance a wheel. If you're happy with the Mom & Pop shop, stick with them. I would, however, recommend against going back to American Tire Co.