Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Off roard tires for daily driver

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-30-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
Ciacci24 is on a distinguished road
Ciacci24's Tacoma Gallery
Off roard tires for daily driver

I just bought a new 2012 tacoma double cab 4x4 sport edition..i'm looking to do a 6" suspension lift and wanted some help on deciding what the best type of tires i should get. I will be driving my truck majority of the week and weekends propbably beach. i live in hawaii so most off roading would be sand and dirt and stuff. its bout 20 miles round trip from my house to work.. Any suggestion on what type of tires would be the best.. Also i'm looking to have either 18" or 20" rims.. Please let me know any suggestions. Thanks
Old 12-30-2011, 12:19 PM   #2
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!
I run 33" Duratracs on a 3" lift and love them. 80% im driving on the road. Nice and quiet
Old 12-30-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
shampoop's Tacoma Gallery
Just got some duratracs and love them too. Haven't got to test them offroad yet, but they are only a little louder than the HT tires they replaced. I can barely hear them above the engine/wind noise. They ride nice and have a million times better traction on wet pavement (extremely important living in the NW). I used to have uncontrollable wheel spin on wet roads when simply trying to accelerate slowly or even just maintain the speed limit up a particularly steep paved road. The tires had plenty of tread left and weren't that old. Now I barely even get any wheel spin when I drive really hard in the rain.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Any AT tire.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
A lot of good options out there. Depends how aggressive of a tire you want. I have Duratracs as well and have no complaints.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
ATweezy is on a distinguished road

Marines: Sergeant of Marines
Name: Brad
ATweezy's Tacoma Gallery
Ive heard great things about duratracs, hankook dynapro atms, general grabber at2s, and Ive personally had bfg ats and liked them.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:33 PM   #7
XxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr.Chow
XxTHe FioLOxX's Tacoma Gallery
I have 35inch mt baja claws with a 6inch lift, great tires but if you don't like the roar do not get them because they are extremely loud
Old 12-30-2011, 08:34 PM   #8
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
BFG All-Terrains or Hankook Dynapro ATMs get my vote.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:40 PM   #9
misterdmac is on a distinguished road

Name: Doostin
misterdmac's Tacoma Gallery
I run MasterCraft Courser AT2's, made by Cooper. Like them a lot, although I was looking for an AT good in snow, which is why my tire shop recommended them. They were cheap too, under $700 brand new + install and balance. Maybe not as aggressive as you're looking for, but for a daily driver I think it's a nice mix.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:01 PM   #10
What bout Nitto trail grapplers or bf Goodrich tires..
Old 12-31-2011, 10:13 PM   #11
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldnt bother with Dura-tracs in Hawaii, you dont deal with snow or adverse weather conditions (I lived in Oahu for 3 years, I know the weather you get).

I would go with BFG AT's I have had them in the sand, snow, light mud, water, sharp rocks, etc and they hold up well. They might chunk a little in the sharp rocks but you get good milage out of them, they are cheap, and are quite.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:40 AM   #12
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I'd go with BFG AT's or General Grabbers.

You'll be surprised what BFG AT's will do..I've seen them do some exceptional shit off road..they are a GREAT all around off road tire..even though they don't look aggressive..don't let it fool you.
I've never owned Grabbers but I've heard nothing about good things about them..reason why they are backordered in alot of places also..
Old 01-01-2012, 12:45 AM   #13
Joeymgd78 is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Joey
Joeymgd78's Tacoma Gallery
ssr swampers baby!
Old 01-01-2012, 12:47 AM   #14
Army:
and i know that they are mostly offroad tires but they actually do very well on the highway too
Old 01-01-2012, 12:54 AM   #15
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeymgd78 View Post
and i know that they are mostly offroad tires but they actually do very well on the highway too
Swampers are good for ONE thing and one thing...swamps and mud.

If you think swampers wheel good on rocks or sidehilling..i lol at you.
You have to air them down to like 5 psi on beadlocks and hope you get traction

Iroks are better tires if anything..
but there are alot better tires out there!
Old 01-01-2012, 01:06 AM   #16
Army:
ok calm down
Old 01-13-2012, 12:55 AM   #18
Either 18 or 20's
Old 01-13-2012, 01:29 AM   #19
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
The BFG A/Ts are the most proven All Terrain tire...and its the number 1 selling off road tire...period. Not saying there aren't other good brands out there but the BFG A/T will be my next tire in a 285/75/16

Good luck with your choice man...there's SOOOO MANY!

Go through this thread to get an idea of whats available...enjoy
Click me