Notices

BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain Opinions

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-30-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
HokieHT07 is on a distinguished road

Army:
HokieHT07's Tacoma Gallery
BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain Opinions

Anyone here have anything to say about BF Goodrich's Rugged Terrain tires? I currently have the Rugged Trail tires that came stock which need to be replaced in the next few months.

I have posted previously asking for tire recommendations and would like to here more. I will be running P265/70R16.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:59 PM   #2
UH60Hwkdrvr is a jewel in the roughUH60Hwkdrvr is a jewel in the roughUH60Hwkdrvr is a jewel in the roughUH60Hwkdrvr is a jewel in the rough

Army: Helicopter Pilot
UH60Hwkdrvr's Tacoma Gallery
Tire Rack has several reviews on this tire.

m.a.c.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:09 PM   #3
Hiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hiatt
Hiatt1991's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Hiatt1991
I think the bfg all terrains are the best tire bfg makes. They last forever and are great in any terrain.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
jackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jackhart's Tacoma Gallery
what is your intended purpose for the truck? dd and weekend warrior? pavement pounder/mall crawler? where do you live, i.e. do you need winter traction? is wet weather performance a priority?

no one tire is going to be good at everything. you need to prioritize your needs/wants and then go from there.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:14 PM   #5
Banff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
Banff2007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiatt1991 View Post
I think the bfg all terrains are the best tire bfg makes. They last forever and are great in any terrain.
x2
Old 12-30-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
TacomaCowboy is on a distinguished road

Name: robert
TacomaCowboy's Tacoma Gallery
I have a set only 5,000 on them so far. They float really bad on light mud dirt roads. Quite on the highway. Smooth ride. Drove to Iowa from Texas rain the whole way. Best stopping tire on a wet road I have ever had.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:26 PM   #7
jackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
not to bash on the bfg all terrains too much, but in my opinion they suck in the mud, and are only average to below average on icy and heavy snow terrain. they also have weak side walls relative to most mt tires, and are more of a jack of all trades/master of none type of tire. i had a set last 100K on the family hummer H2, which is really exceptional and not all that uncommon. they are great in sand, especially if you air down. they are relatively quiet on the highway. i was not too happy with their wet weather stickiness after the first 20K miles either.

i've tried numerous other tires that i prefer over bfg at's for MY intended purposes, including dick cepek fc II's, mickey thompson baja atz's, nitto terra grapplers, and now hankook dynapro atm's. again, it's important to know what you expect a tire to do, and then choose accordingly.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:43 PM   #8
Fisters stay rock hard
Fister is on a distinguished road

Army: FA
Name: Derrick
Fister's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a set of the rugged terrains about 2 or 3 weeks ago. They ride nice and quiet on the highway and handled extremely well in the rain. No off road time yet. My truck has the "sport upgrade" and for 18" tires they had the best price for what I wanted, a more aggressive look and reasonable performance for occasional off road use, while maintaining solid on road performance.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fister View Post
I bought a set of the rugged terrains about 2 or 3 weeks ago. They ride nice and quiet on the highway and handled extremely well in the rain. No off road time yet. My truck has the "sport upgrade" and for 18" tires they had the best price for what I wanted, a more aggressive look and reasonable performance for occasional off road use, while maintaining solid on road performance.
i'd definitely be interested in an update on your experiences with them after 5 or 10K. take those bad boys offroad!
Old 01-01-2012, 10:04 AM   #10
Fisters stay rock hard
Fister is on a distinguished road

Army: FA
Name: Derrick
Fister's Tacoma Gallery
Too easy.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #11

Army:
Ill be doing mainly on-road driving. However, I do drive a decent amount on gravel and expect to be wet weather and winter driving. I am a hunter and need tires that can handle basic off roading, but nothing extreme.

I know some people will run P265/75R16s, but I am afraid that would be more harmful than beneficial. Hope that helps.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #12

Army:
Also, do the All-terrains come in P265/70R16? BFG's website does not link them to my truck or show them in that size.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #13
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banff2007Tacoma View Post
x2
x3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieHT07 View Post
Also, do the All-terrains come in P265/70R16? BFG's website does not link them to my truck or show them in that size.
Yes. That's the size I currently run, but will likely up-size to 265/75R16 when these are shot.