Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Putting new wheels on. what to do withtpms

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
cooper98 is on a distinguished road
cooper98's Tacoma Gallery
Putting new wheels on. what to do withtpms

Just bought FJ 17" wheels to replace my stock 16" steels wheels. The tires on the new wheels have about 60% left. I'd like to get the life out of them. I called Discount and they are going to charge 125$ to change over tmps. I'm goin to be selling th old wheels and tires. Can i tak ethe TPMS off? Where are they? I was thingking about waiting on paying the 125 until i buy new tires. The light being on wouldnt bother me too much. I guess my main question is where are they and can i take them off by meself? I want to keep them for whenever i decide to put the TMPS back on. Thanks
Old 01-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper98 View Post
Just bought FJ 17" wheels to replace my stock 16" steels wheels. The tires on the new wheels have about 60% left. I'd like to get the life out of them. I called Discount and they are going to charge 125$ to change over tmps. I'm goin to be selling th old wheels and tires. Can i tak ethe TPMS off? Where are they? I was thingking about waiting on paying the 125 until i buy new tires. The light being on wouldnt bother me too much. I guess my main question is where are they and can i take them off by meself? I want to keep them for whenever i decide to put the TMPS back on. Thanks
Discount swapped my tpms to my new rims using tpms straps and it was around $6 per wheel. Are you sure they weren't giving you a quote for reprogramming tpms?
Old 01-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
i explained the situation and thats the price they gave me.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i explained the situation and thats the price they gave me.
I would call again and talk to someone else, they are clearly confused.

They should just be charging you a tpms rebuild fee, for each sensor, which is just new rubber seals on them.

The steel sensors and aluminum sensors don't have the same angle, so to get them to fit they will either rotate them 180 degrees or use the straps.

In your op you asked where the sensors are. They are on the bottom of the valve stem, and sit flush agains the side of the rim. They are part of the vale stem itsself.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
are they inside the tire? Would they be chargeing me for rebalancing and mounting?
Old 01-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #6
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
are they inside the tire? Would they be chargeing me for rebalancing and mounting?
Yes they are inside the tire. Rebalancing and remounting is necessary with or without the tpms switch.

They look like this:
http://www.google.com/search?q=toyot...sCEvAhBbmuJHJQ
Old 01-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #7
I had wheels swapped today but my TPMS wont work on the new fj wheels i got. GRRRR
Old 01-03-2012, 04:09 PM   #8
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I had wheels swapped today but my TPMS wont work on the new fj wheels i got. GRRRR
Did they try the straps? Or flipping them 180?

straps will work on any wheel. In fact my wheels have them and they were made before TPMS existed.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #9
Sje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Boatswains Mate
Name: Sean
Sje1124's Tacoma Gallery
I have my TPMS on my aftermarket wheels and they didnt have any problem installing them.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #10
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sje1124 View Post
I have my TPMS on my aftermarket wheels and they didnt have any problem installing them.
But you had alloy wheels to begin with. The steel sensors and alloy sensors mount at different angles so the swap over is a little more complex.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #11
Sje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Boatswains Mate
Name: Sean
Sje1124's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, the guy who did mine was a little cautious at first because he had never done a tpms in an aftermarket wheel and it stuck out at an odd angle. Its not flush with the wheel like it is on the stock wheels so getting the tire on was a little more difficult so he didnt break the TPMS.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #13
the straps and other tmps that discount had were over $250. The tpms wouldnt seal. i has chrom steel wheels
Old 01-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #14
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
the straps and other tmps that discount had were over $250. The tpms wouldnt seal. i has chrom steel wheels
That's incredible how one discount tire can be so different from another, even in the same state.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #15
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Just read this thread. I just bought some aftermarket alloy wheels. Have the sport wheels/tires now which I'm planning to sell. Only have 9k on them. Trying to figure out my best options. Have them removed and remount and balance the stock wheels? Buy new tpms? I've never dealt with tpms before so I don't know what they should cost? I see the factory ones fs on here for around $100 for the set. By the time I pay for someone to remove them then remount balance the stock wheels/tires to sell, will it outweigh the cost? What a pita these seem to be. Wish I could just turn the light off and be done with it.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #17
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpking View Post
Yeah I saw that. But I'd still have to have them removed from the stock wheels. Hate having to pay for that for wheels I'm gonna sell.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #18
Night In The Ruts!
09DC4X4 has a spectacular aura about09DC4X4 has a spectacular aura about09DC4X4 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Brian
09DC4X4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpking View Post
Def do this ^ and never have to worry again. TPMS is a huge pain and they break them installing tires. Lots of $$$$ to replace.