Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

smaller tire fitment

* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
anotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shed
anotherreject's Tacoma Gallery
smaller tire fitment

i tried to do a search but when i click it my computer says "page can not be displayed"

normally the threads on here are about squeezing bigger tires onto a stock setup, im trying to find out what smaller tires will fit.

the taco is a stock '05 double cab short bed trd sport

i rarely do any hard off road stuff so im not looking to get a lift and huge tires. im just looking to replace my stock tires right now for as cheap as i can.

will a 245/70/17 or 235/65/17

A) fit on the stock trd sport wheels? i was thinking they may be too skinny and the bead could come off the wheel

B) cause any other issues im not thinking of?
Old 01-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherreject View Post
the taco is a stock '05 double cab short bed trd sport

will a 245/70/17 or 235/65/17

A) fit on the stock trd sport wheels? i was thinking they may be too skinny and the bead could come off the wheel

B) cause any other issues im not thinking of?
Either of those tires will fit with no issues, but a couple of points to consider:

1: A 265/70/17 is so common that it will almost always be cheaper than either of the sizes you listed.
2: A 235/65/17 is a tiny tire and will look completely ridiculous.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with Brett on the cost.

Example: Firestone destination A/T's,
235/65/17 = $159.
245/70/17 = $150
265/70/17 = $159

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....TOWL&tab=Sizes
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....TOWL&tab=Sizes
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

And of those three sizes, two look too small on our trucks.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Juggernaut's Tacoma Gallery
Keep the stock diameter for best mpg. 245/70r17 would provide the best results based on what you have said, followed by 265/65r17.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:46 AM   #5
anotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shed
if i can save up enough for a new set of 265/65/17 or 265/70/17 (about $160 a piece) i will get those. downfall to the 265/70 would be needing a 5th for a matching size spare.

i was considering the 245/70/17 from treadwright, at $80 a piece. even after shipping and buying a 5th for a spare i would be spending about $150 less. the 265/70/17 from treadwright ar about $115 if i recall correctly.

im on a budget and also trying to save to go on my first vacation in 4 years.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:53 AM   #6
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
if i can save up enough for a new set of 265/65/17 or 265/70/17 (about $160 a piece) i will get those. downfall to the 265/70 would be needing a 5th for a matching size spare.

i was considering the 245/70/17 from treadwright, at $80 a piece. even after shipping and buying a 5th for a spare i would be spending about $150 less. the 265/70/17 from treadwright ar about $115 if i recall correctly.

im on a budget and also trying to save to go on my first vacation in 4 years.
You wouldn't necessarily need a new spare if you are only going to throw it on the front to get to a tire repair place.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:56 AM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
You wouldn't necessarily need a new spare if you are only going to throw it on the front to get to a tire repair place.
true
Old 01-06-2012, 06:26 AM   #8
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
anotherreject, Look at the for sale section here at TW for low mile take off tires, as well as Craigslist in your area.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #9
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
I would also add that even on the rear, a little different sized spare will be fine if it's basically to get you to a tire shop. I wouldn't waste your money on a 5th tire for any of the tire sizes being considered.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:17 AM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettBretterson View Post
I would also add that even on the rear, a little different sized spare will be fine if it's basically to get you to a tire shop. I wouldn't waste your money on a 5th tire for any of the tire sizes being considered.
ok thanks
Old 01-07-2012, 06:27 AM   #11
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftree View Post
anotherreject, Look at the for sale section here at TW for low mile take off tires, as well as Craigslist in your area.
This ^^^^^ and also: check auto wrecking yards in your area too. My son got a fantastic deal on a set of low mile BFG All Terrain A/T KOs for his truck that way. Worth checking around.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:32 AM   #12
jsutter has a spectacular aura aboutjsutter has a spectacular aura about
Name: Jim
jsutter's Tacoma Gallery
Why don't you buy three tires to fit the size of the spare (I am assuming it is stock size) and have the best of the ones you are replacing become your new spare?

Then you only need to buy 3 new tires and you will have all of them stock size.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:20 AM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsutter View Post
Why don't you buy three tires to fit the size of the spare (I am assuming it is stock size) and have the best of the ones you are replacing become your new spare?

Then you only need to buy 3 new tires and you will have all of them stock size.
i was gonna do that until we had our first snow and i got see how bad the stock dunlop at20's are
Old 01-07-2012, 08:49 AM   #14
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i was gonna do that until we had our first snow and i got see how bad the stock dunlop at20's are
... And they suck in rain too! Least that's my experience. Say NO to Dunflops!

Products Discussed in this Thread