LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Hankook Dynapro ATM or Falken Rocky Mountain

View Poll Results: Which is a better tire?
Hankook Dynapro ATM 60 82.19%
Falken Rocky Moutain 13 17.81%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
cicada83 is on a distinguished road
cicada83's Tacoma Gallery
Hankook Dynapro ATM or Falken Rocky Mountain

I am going to put tires on in the next month or so. I am looking for a 50,000 mile, lower ply, aggressive, good on/off road tire, with little to no road noise. I am going to get a 265/75/16. I have it narrowed down to these two. I don't really like the flame look on the Hankook and have not really heard of the Falken. Just wanted to poll and get some comments. Thanks!
Old 01-08-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
Phuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
Phuket's Tacoma Gallery
I have a friend who runs falkens on his ranger and he loves em.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Hankook FTW
Old 01-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
bd129766 is on a distinguished road
Name: Brandon
bd129766's Tacoma Gallery
I looked on Discount Tire's website and only found the Falken in Lt i think the weight is like 57lb a piece. The Hankook's come in P rated wich will be lighter. It may help if u do heavy offroading, but you'll probably loose power and mpg on the road. I currently am looking at Cooper Discoverer AT3 myself that you can get these in a P rating. I run my truck in light mud, gravel roads, and in the pasture that has some small weesatch. I dont see the need for a heavier tire in my situation, but it depends on what u use your truck for.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #5
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
The flame look of the Hankooks isn't really noticeable once they're on the truck and dirtied up a bit, if that's a concern. Sidewall is pretty mild compared to, say, Goodyear Duratracs.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:57 AM   #6
Don't get me wrong I want an aggressive looking tire, it is just the flame look is not really my style. I like the look of the Falken better but I would rather have the best tire then the one I like the looks of better. Also minimum to zero road noise is important if anyone has any input on that aspect of each tire. Thanks again!
Old 01-09-2012, 10:45 AM   #7
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
I noticed no road noise with the Hankooks - wind noise of the truck is 10x as loud as any road noise. Not trying to sway you though, because I only have about 10k on them. If they last 35 or 40k, I'll start recommending them to everyone!
Old 01-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #8
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
The Hankooks are run by many members with great results. The Falken Rocky Mountains are a fairly new tire and one of their first A/T type tires. Not very many people have them so I'd play it safe and go with the Hankooks.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
krumble is a splendid one to beholdkrumble is a splendid one to beholdkrumble is a splendid one to beholdkrumble is a splendid one to beholdkrumble is a splendid one to beholdkrumble is a splendid one to beholdkrumble is a splendid one to beholdkrumble is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jon
krumble's Tacoma Gallery
I've been rocking those falkens for a while now and I love them. Just make sure you get the cert for them so America's tires can replace them for you if you tear it up on a trail.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #11
ATweezy is on a distinguished road

Marines: Sergeant of Marines
Name: Brad
ATweezy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
Hankook FTW
THIS!
Old 01-10-2012, 05:28 AM   #12
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
I'd give the Falken's a try, they look more aggressive.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by krumble View Post
I've been rocking those falkens for a while now and I love them. Just make sure you get the cert for them so America's tires can replace them for you if you tear it up on a trail.
How is the road noise vs. Stock tires?
Old 01-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #14
krumble is a splendid one to beholdkrumble is a splendid one to beholdkrumble is a splendid one to beholdkrumble is a splendid one to beholdkrumble is a splendid one to beholdkrumble is a splendid one to beholdkrumble is a splendid one to beholdkrumble is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jon
krumble's Tacoma Gallery
Well I have long travel so the fiberglass fenders don't help my case but my exhaust is a lot louder than any tire noise I should have.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #15
Fifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fifer's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Cooper Discoverer AT3 in P265/75-R16 & they are an awesome tire! The road noise is minimal, they are great in the wet, snow, & off-road (Gravel) they look awesome - aggressive but not ridiculous, give me about 1/2 inch increase in ride height over stock. I saw the Hankooks at Discount tire & didn't like the flame side tread & the Falkens are really heavy becasue there's no P-metric in 265/75-R16. Just my 2 cents but go for the Coopers you won't be disappointed! An added bonus for me was they are made in the USA so no duty to pay at the border heading home!
Old 01-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #16
lundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Justin
lundy's Tacoma Gallery
IMO Falken (Japan) > (China) Hankook. I hated my Hankooks on my Infiniti but the ATM's seem to be popular around this forum so I don't think you could go wrong either way.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #17
sd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedsd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedsd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedsd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedsd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedsd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedsd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedsd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedsd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedsd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedsd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sd_tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I've got about 5k miles on my hankook ATM's and couldn't be happier. Good on road manners and solid offroad as well.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:47 AM   #18
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
Had the hankooks on my truck...25k later, they are worn.

Switching to something else. Maybe yokohama's.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #20
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUSETACO View Post
These dont look too bad either...

I have these on my truck. Other than wishing they looked more aggressive, I am very happy with them. Very minimal road noise, 50k warranty, and they do great in the snow. All my pics in my profile are with those tires.