1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Nissan Titan rims on Tacoma Project

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by rangejeep, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Nov 28, 2008 at 6:29 AM
    rangejeep

rangejeep [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    I found titan 17/7.5 steel rims that will work with my 265/70/17 mud tires. The 6 lug pattern was the same so I assumed it would bolt right up. WRONG. The titan rims have a smaller lug hole diameter than Tacoma's 21mm or 7/8 plus the Tacoma studs are too short to have the lugs grab hold of. I could either drill out the rim holes or find longer studs....I decided to drill b/c I didn't want to mess up the stock setup. I shopped around at Lowes for the best drill bit and found a Unibit at $45 and I started drilling. I am using a plug in drill, unibit, goggles, gloves, and drill oil to keep the drill bit cool. I started drilling the holes on the right and the first one took 45 minutes but the 2nd only took 10 minutes and was a peice of cake. I was pushing harding on the drill the 2nd time. I don't think it will take longer than a couple of hours to finish all 24 holes. The only thing is I have to refinish the rims but a little black paint will work.

I'm sharing this because I had a hard time finding Tacoma, Tundra, 4runner, or FJ 17inch 6 lug rims that was close by and didn't cost a forture. I'll post more pictures when finished.

Attached Files:

2. Nov 28, 2008 at 6:31 AM
    moserjjx

moserjjx Tacoma Newbie

Member:
    Eau Claire, WI
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD 4x4
    Weathertech liners, bed mat, rear spring TSB, extra 12V outlets in center console, seat belt chime off
    wheel studs are pretty easy to change - but props for drilling all those holes! thats quite a little project. i'd like to see some close-up pics of the drilled holes before paint please :)

3. Nov 28, 2008 at 6:46 AM
    rangejeep

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    I figured I would have to buy 24 longer studs and 24 open ended lugs for this to work with no drilling plus the longer studs might be too long to use stock lugnuts.

4. Nov 28, 2008 at 7:01 AM
    rangejeep

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    The left lug is Tacoma stock where the right is a Nissan. The right lug is more what I've seen before on other cars and trucks. The Nissan lug (from the bottom up) tapers out so it will force a center tighting regardless of hole size. The Tacoma lug is straight so the washer and cap hold the wheel on and could get off centered if the lug hole is too large; IMO.

Attached Files:

5. Nov 28, 2008 at 8:30 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    Pics of them on your ride when done?

Products Discussed in

To Top