Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Nissan Titan rims on Tacoma Project

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-28-2008, 06:29 AM   #1
rangejeep is on a distinguished road

rangejeep's Tacoma Gallery
Nissan Titan rims on Tacoma Project

I found titan 17/7.5 steel rims that will work with my 265/70/17 mud tires. The 6 lug pattern was the same so I assumed it would bolt right up. WRONG. The titan rims have a smaller lug hole diameter than Tacoma's 21mm or 7/8 plus the Tacoma studs are too short to have the lugs grab hold of. I could either drill out the rim holes or find longer studs....I decided to drill b/c I didn't want to mess up the stock setup. I shopped around at Lowes for the best drill bit and found a Unibit at $45 and I started drilling. I am using a plug in drill, unibit, goggles, gloves, and drill oil to keep the drill bit cool. I started drilling the holes on the right and the first one took 45 minutes but the 2nd only took 10 minutes and was a peice of cake. I was pushing harding on the drill the 2nd time. I don't think it will take longer than a couple of hours to finish all 24 holes. The only thing is I have to refinish the rims but a little black paint will work.

I'm sharing this because I had a hard time finding Tacoma, Tundra, 4runner, or FJ 17inch 6 lug rims that was close by and didn't cost a forture. I'll post more pictures when finished.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf lug holes.pdf (2.16 MB, 227 views)
File Type: pdf unibit.pdf (2.17 MB, 166 views)
Old 11-28-2008, 06:31 AM   #2
Tacoma Newbie
moserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud of
moserjjx's Tacoma Gallery
wheel studs are pretty easy to change - but props for drilling all those holes! thats quite a little project. i'd like to see some close-up pics of the drilled holes before paint please
Old 11-28-2008, 06:46 AM   #3

I figured I would have to buy 24 longer studs and 24 open ended lugs for this to work with no drilling plus the longer studs might be too long to use stock lugnuts.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:01 AM   #4

The left lug is Tacoma stock where the right is a Nissan. The right lug is more what I've seen before on other cars and trucks. The Nissan lug (from the bottom up) tapers out so it will force a center tighting regardless of hole size. The Tacoma lug is straight so the washer and cap hold the wheel on and could get off centered if the lug hole is too large; IMO.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf lugnuts.pdf (1.85 MB, 210 views)