Notices

One tire fits tighter in wheel well than the other

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-28-2008, 05:44 PM   #1
lifesgreatman is on a distinguished road
lifesgreatman's Tacoma Gallery
One tire fits tighter in wheel well than the other

Hey everyone out there,

Just checking to see if there is any advice about a problem I got. I recently purchased a set of tire 265/75/16 for my tacoma (2003 double cab) and for some reason or other my right side is rubbing. Well I checked things out and here is what I found. The front drivers side tire is about 1/2 infront of the tire, behind the tire and atop the tire. basically there is less open space between the tire and the wheel well.

Any ideas why there would be a difference between side? Could the springs or shocks be going bad? basically pulling the tire deeper into the wheel well?

Anyhelp would be appreciated....Thanks
Old 11-28-2008, 05:51 PM   #2
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!

Start with the obvious thing to check. Make sure the tire store put the correct sizes on that you wanted.

Also it could be bad shocks.

There will be others that may have experienced the same problem that can respond. It may take longer since it is a holiday weekend.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:03 PM   #3
Drew793 will become famous soon enoughDrew793 will become famous soon enough

Drew793's Tacoma Gallery
Is it the space between the top of the tire and the bottom of the wheel well?

As Genexer36 mentioned, check to make sure you got the correct tire size as the others. If correct size, then something is effecting the ride height to be lower.
Such as coil spring. Do you have a lift kit installed?
Shocks control rebound and they do not affect ride height so I don't believe that it would be because of bad shocks.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
lifesgreatman is on a distinguished road
lifesgreatman's Tacoma Gallery
I did check the tires and they are all the same. I have also run this exact tire before and dont remember the problems.

The wheels are all on tight with no problems as far as being mounted wrong.

Good info Drew about the shocks not adjusting height...That makes sense now I think about it. I took a look and the front springs and cant see much of a difference between sides. I also have a crappy flashlight so right now it is a little hard to check things out. I am going to give it a better look in the morning once the sun comes up.

Would a weak spring cause that side to sag and effectively pull the tire further up into the wheel well? if so that could be the problem right there. When measuring the distance from the top of the tire to the upper part of the inside wheel well there is 5/8th's less space on the right side than the left.

Thanks for the ideas folks. I am going to give everything a good look over in the morning. hard to see much right now.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:41 PM   #5
Drew793 will become famous soon enoughDrew793 will become famous soon enough

Drew793's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

[quote=lifesgreatman;261537]

Would a weak spring cause that side to sag and effectively pull the tire further up into the wheel well? if so that could be the problem right there. When measuring the distance from the top of the tire to the upper part of the inside wheel well there is 5/8th's less space on the right side than the left.

I think a weak or worn spring could be your problem. 5/8" wouldn't be as visible with the stock wheels. When you put bigger/taller tires on the truck they filled the wheel well more and kinda magnified the difference in ride height of the truck.

Could just be normal wear of the spring if you haven't noticed anything unusual in the front end, steering or abnormal tread wear?

Hopefully you'll get a better look at it in the day time like you said. By that time you'll get a few expert opinions about this to steer you in the right direction and give you some solutions. I would think you'd need a new set of springs. Lotta miles on the truck? Could be a good excuse to put a little bit of lift in the front end. lol

Good luck and let us know what you find.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:48 PM   #6
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
i have a 2003 xtra cab with the same tire sizes on my truck and it rubs a little on boths sides of the frame, could just be too big for our trucks