1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

One tire fits tighter in wheel well than the other

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by lifesgreatman, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Nov 28, 2008 at 5:44 PM
    lifesgreatman

lifesgreatman [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    03 Quad cab tacoma 4X4
    Hey everyone out there,

Just checking to see if there is any advice about a problem I got. I recently purchased a set of tire 265/75/16 for my tacoma (2003 double cab) and for some reason or other my right side is rubbing. Well I checked things out and here is what I found. The front drivers side tire is about 1/2 infront of the tire, behind the tire and atop the tire. basically there is less open space between the tire and the wheel well.

Any ideas why there would be a difference between side? Could the springs or shocks be going bad? basically pulling the tire deeper into the wheel well?

Anyhelp would be appreciated....Thanks

2. Nov 28, 2008 at 5:51 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    Start with the obvious thing to check. Make sure the tire store put the correct sizes on that you wanted.

Also it could be bad shocks.

There will be others that may have experienced the same problem that can respond. It may take longer since it is a holiday weekend.

3. Nov 28, 2008 at 6:03 PM
    Drew793

Drew793 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road V6 Auto
    Weather Tech window shades, Roll-N-Lock cover with cargo manager, Led interior bed lights, EZ down tailgate strut, SpiderTrax1.25" wheel spacers, tinted windows, second filter removed, Grillcraft Mesh upper and lower grill, Castrol Syntec.
    Is it the space between the top of the tire and the bottom of the wheel well?

As Genexer36 mentioned, check to make sure you got the correct tire size as the others. If correct size, then something is effecting the ride height to be lower.
    Such as coil spring. Do you have a lift kit installed?
    Shocks control rebound and they do not affect ride height so I don't believe that it would be because of bad shocks.

4. Nov 28, 2008 at 6:34 PM
    lifesgreatman

lifesgreatman [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    03 Quad cab tacoma 4X4
    I did check the tires and they are all the same. I have also run this exact tire before and dont remember the problems.

The wheels are all on tight with no problems as far as being mounted wrong.

Good info Drew about the shocks not adjusting height...That makes sense now I think about it. I took a look and the front springs and cant see much of a difference between sides. I also have a crappy flashlight so right now it is a little hard to check things out. I am going to give it a better look in the morning once the sun comes up.

Would a weak spring cause that side to sag and effectively pull the tire further up into the wheel well? if so that could be the problem right there. When measuring the distance from the top of the tire to the upper part of the inside wheel well there is 5/8th's less space on the right side than the left.

Thanks for the ideas folks. I am going to give everything a good look over in the morning. hard to see much right now.

5. Nov 28, 2008 at 7:41 PM
    Drew793

Drew793 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road V6 Auto
    Weather Tech window shades, Roll-N-Lock cover with cargo manager, Led interior bed lights, EZ down tailgate strut, SpiderTrax1.25" wheel spacers, tinted windows, second filter removed, Grillcraft Mesh upper and lower grill, Castrol Syntec.

6. Nov 28, 2008 at 8:48 PM
    kmok

kmok Plastidipped ma Hootus!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
    i have a 2003 xtra cab with the same tire sizes on my truck and it rubs a little on boths sides of the frame, could just be too big for our trucks

Products Discussed in

To Top