Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

The Ranger's First Look Tire Review: Hercules Trail Digger M/T

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-05-2012, 04:10 AM   #21
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Been a couple weeks with them on now. Between 400-500 miles. Without the previous M/T tires experience, I have no comparision, but I'm still happy with my purchase of these tires and have not had a "regret" moment b/c of how they performed in some way.

I've done all city driving with mine, so lots of pavement.

Drove home in a decent rain last night on the highway and never felt like the truck was out of control. No issues accelerating to let other cars merge onto the highway.

Someone around here said, everyone always loves their current tires. I'm trying not to be like that and am constantly judging these tires. I'm overly picky about my truck, and if these tires annoyed me, or made me feel like I was fighting the truck or lost control b/c of tire traction, I would say I was not happy, but I've really not been presented with a situation that I've not had confidence being able to DD in the city with these tires.

Will also be taking tread depth measurments at every oil change/rotate. Started out with 19/32s.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #22
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in the same position. I don't like to rave about a tire I have just because I'm running it. I scrutinize every aspect of these tires. I inspect them multiple times every shift. A little over 1500 miles and so far not a single complaint. At no time have I wanted more traction out of them. I ran them over some very extreme terrain the other day, about the most challenging route I can patrol in the Chevy Colorado. Only a few minor cuts/chips in the tread were the result. In fact, based on the way they are wearing, I think these will continue to gain MORE traction as the tread depth decreases.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:37 AM   #24
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Got to play in the mud for a minute yesterday afternoon. Kmok (Kyle) came along as well, my recovery buddy! Pleased with their performance. Got stuck on the way through but more my fault for hitting the brake instead of the skinny. I wasn't trying to hit the brakes...

Did bounce and bang around on the way back but I did make it back through. I was smiling after we got through, my 4 year old daughter was VERY excited "We made it dadddy." Was actually very unsure about going back through and not gettng stuck again. Kyle's truck slid around as he went through, I'm waching him, thinking to myself "Crap".

Pretty wet and soft where we played around. Also a bit uneven.

I love my 2WD truck. 4x4 would be better but I like seeing what I can make my dumb little 5 lugger do.

^ Made it back through this crap just fine!!!
Old 02-11-2012, 07:47 AM   #25
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Heavy application of the skinny pedal is the best for plowing through that kind of stuff. It keeps up your momentum which keeps your tires in the traction, and it flings the mud out of the tread lugs so they can bite in more.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:24 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maticuno View Post
OP updated with 5,000 mile overview.
Solid, my first rotate is coming up soon so I'll update as well. Tread depth measurements/balance issues.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #29

1st Rotate (and LOF) update:

These tires have seen 97% pavement. Tires are in good condition, no chunks missing, no odd wear.

Tread depth wise, they look really great.

Front tires: 19/32's
Rear tires: 18/32's

I could swear that the tires started new @ 19/32's. I rechecked each front tire, twice and in different spots and was getting solid 19's.

Rear tires were a little bit more worn than the fronts. They are the drive tires. Wear was consistent from side to side.

Balance wise, 3 of the 4 I had to add a little weight to. I'm not displeased with that aspect at the moment, I was expecting it with these bigger tires.

Both fronts were out .50oz on the inside. One rear tire was actually 1.25oz out on the inside and the other rear tire was just fine.

Recheck the balance at the next LOF/rotate and see how they are doing then.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #30

Little update:

Been a little fussy on the balance. I did wheel a little bit between the last balance and now. Maybe a little effect.

Tread wise, still really great. 18/32's all around. Thats after taking a good 400+ miles Highway/wheeling trip.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #31
Weapon Mechanic

Haven't had mine rebalanced yet, but they could probably use it. They continue to perform well, even after increased patrols in an area that has hills covered in rocks that are only marginally less sharp than shale.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:28 PM   #32

2nd LOF/Rotate (6K) update on the H.T.D's.

Tread wear is simply great. Started at 19/32s, after a full run on each axle, all tires are evenly worn down to only 18/32's of tread.

Took a long highway trip this oil change, did a little wheeling as well. I didn't have an issue wheeling because of tires. Now my trucks clearance and capabilities are a different story.

Balance has been a little ehhh...I hit shit in the road, I wheeled it a little, so I've been picky. I would recommend to anyone else to at least have the balance checked at the oil changes.

I did RoadForce them this time before I rotated. I would highly recommend it Mati. They seemed to be doing well on the highway on my short one exit ride home from work.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:17 PM   #33
Weapon Mechanic

I was starting to dislike these tires, thinking that they were getting unmanageable as they wore. Then at 9,000 miles I had them road force balanced. What a difference! Back to being smooth as glass on the highway!
Old 08-13-2012, 02:24 AM   #34

Quote:
I was starting to dislike these tires, thinking that they were getting unmanageable as they wore. Then at 9,000 miles I had them road force balanced. What a difference! Back to being smooth as glass on the highway!
Saw your thread on the GY Authority tires.

Your verdict on the HDTs? I know you said you eat tires, how long did you get out of them?

(yeah, the road force on these tires is really nice!)
Old 08-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #35
Weapon Mechanic

Still running on the HTD's on my work truck. The Wrangler Authorities are for my personal truck.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #36

Quote:
Still running on the HTD's on my work truck. The Wrangler Authorities are for my personal truck.
Got'cha

I was gonna say, that was quick.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:58 PM   #37

3rd (Approx 9K miles) LOF/Rotate update:

Still looking great tread depth wise. All tires are around a heavy 17/32nds of tread left. Rear tires a little closer to 17 than the fronts. Fronts were just under the 18/32nds mark.

...and I took a 250 mile trip the night before. (Wed Night)

Riding/handling well, city, highway, downpours of rain, whatever. Still no complaints.

Upcoming winter might be rough, should be a good test.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #38
another super white
Wretched Saint is on a distinguished road

Wretched Saint's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Trail diggers at 4K

Replaced stock 245s with 265/75/16 Hercules Trail Diggers. What a height difference. At the shop, the sales guy measured 22/32 (generous measure, if you ask me). However, I often park next to a guy that has 265/70/16 BFG AT, and my truck now sits significantly higher than his. Before his looked higher but not measured.
No probs with these good value and I get a lot of comments from passers by about the aggressive look to an ordinary xcab 4 banger.
Wearing well, will measure when I have them rotated.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #39
Blueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Blueberry's Tacoma Gallery
Good review so far brotha man! Subbing this. Had my eye on these tires for a while now.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:05 PM   #40

Oops. Did a LOF/Rotate at the end of last week. Got around 12K on em' now. Went to a meet!

Tires are just amazing. They were all slightly above 16/32nds of tread on this go around.

Drove 800+ miles in a 36 hour period so we'll see how the tread is at the next one. Tires did great the whole trip though!