Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Cooper Discoverer STT. 275/65/18 vs 325/65/18

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-17-2012, 10:12 PM   #1
r00t
SubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to behold

Army: Prior Service
Name: William
SubFrozen's Tacoma Gallery
Cooper Discoverer STT. 275/65/18 vs 325/65/18

I'm running an OME heavy duty 3" lift on the truck with an ARB front bumper. Currently I'm running 275/65/18 without any problems. I'm getting a free set of tires of my choosing and I want to know if I can run 325/65/18's.

E.G. go from 32" to 34.6"

I'm attached photos of my current tires for reference.

from the online tire size calculator

Old 01-18-2012, 05:55 AM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
I doubt it with an ARB. Seems to be the consensus that the ARB is the least amennable to large tires of all the aftermarket front bumpers. There are a few guys running 35's on a 3" lift, but all have a non-arb plate bumper, and have cut their metal fenders to make them fit.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #3
r00t
SubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
I doubt it with an ARB. Seems to be the consensus that the ARB is the least amennable to large tires of all the aftermarket front bumpers. There are a few guys running 35's on a 3" lift, but all have a non-arb plate bumper, and have cut their metal fenders to make them fit.
Think I can jump up a little bit to 33"?

Old 01-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubFrozen View Post

Yeah I think you can make a 33 work. Check out some of the other guys running ARB's and see what setup they have.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
r00t

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Yeah I think you can make a 33 work. Check out some of the other guys running ARB's and see what setup they have.
Yep, I'll keep it at 33, any bigger and I'll have to do some tweaking to everything, even with more offset on the rims.

I'm going with:
http://simpletire.com/cooper-lt275-70r18-76134-tires
Old 01-18-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Quote:
Yep, I'll keep it at 33, any bigger and I'll have to do some tweaking to everything, even with more offset on the rims.

I'm going with:
http://simpletire.com/cooper-lt275-70r18-76134-tires
I would just like to point out that a 285/70/18 is a 34", not a 33". I would stick with your decision to run a 275/70/18, as that is closer to a 33" even though that itself is still a little taller than a traditional 33".
Old 01-18-2012, 12:18 PM   #7
r00t

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettBretterson View Post
I would just like to point out that a 285/70/18 is a 34", not a 33". I would stick with your decision to run a 275/70/18, as that is closer to a 33" even though that itself is still a little taller than a traditional 33".
I know 35" is too big. Would 34" be the same, or is my max at 33"?
Old 01-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #8
r00t

Quote:
I went with 275/70/18
Old 01-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #9
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Well like KPT basically said, it's a guessing game at this point. The only way you'll really know is to mount one and see how bad it rubs. I'm pretty sure you'll have a hard time making a 34" work, though you can make anything work with enough will.

Personally, I would go with the 275/70/18 Cooper you picked out for a 3" lift. My buddy ran that exact tire in that size on his 2nd gen with 2" of lift, and we had to trim a fair amount of inner fender/bumper just to stop the rubbing on the street.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
Wild Ginger

Quote:
I went with 275/70/18
Good choice. What tire are you running currently in 275/65/18?
Old 01-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #11
r00t

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettBretterson View Post
Good choice. What tire are you running currently in 275/65/18?
Nitto Terra Grapplers A/T
Old 01-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #13
r00t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightnfire View Post
Did you look at the Cooper ST Maxx? Not an MT but a very aggressive AT.

http://simpletire.com/cooper-lt275-70r18-54801-tires
Yea, love those, too. I am getting this set free of charge and fell in love with the STT's a few years ago.