1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Geolanders vs Terra Grapplers

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by TacoDawgfan, Jan 22, 2012.

?

Nitto's or Geolanders?

Poll closed Feb 21, 2012.
  1. Nitto Terra Grapplers

81.3%
  2. Yokohama Geolander ATS

18.8%
  1. Jan 22, 2012 at 8:44 AM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan [OP] Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    I'm looking to buy tires this week. I've narrowed it down to these two. I'm looking for honest opinions and not just because they are the ones you have. I don't know how many may have actually ran both but maybe though friends or other members can make a fair comparison? I have actually found I can get either set for around the same price so that isn't really a factor. But I keep reading on the net about the Terra Grapplers not lasting. I like the look of them better but like what I'm reading on the Yoko's better. I'm torn. They will be mounted on Moto Metal 951s in black if. Not sure how much weight difference will have on mpg's? The Geolanders are a bit lighter about 3 pounds each but I can't seem to confirm the weight of the Nitto's. I'm looking at 265 70 16 on 16x8's. I know most run the 75's but I'm staying with the 70's due to price, weight to help keep mpgs, and I've read the 75's on aftermarket wheels will scrub.

2. Jan 23, 2012 at 5:28 PM
    NelsonTacoma

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    I am currently on my 2nd set of Terra Grapplers. My first set lasted about 50k. And I have about 10k on my current set and they have hardly worn at all. I do 95% street driving. Part of it could be that I have the Load Range E tire but not 100% sure.

3. Jan 23, 2012 at 5:35 PM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    What kind of driving do you do? I was running terra grapplers probably 60/40 street to Offroad. And Offroad on service roads they are great but trail they didn't hold up. Very weak sidewall. On the other hand they were great I'm the highway and great on not so crazy dirt roads. Terrible in the sand as well. As for the other set you mentioned I have not had experience with them. I would recommend the terra grapplers for mostly highway use and the occasional offroader so you can have good confidence just in case something comes up.

4. Jan 23, 2012 at 5:37 PM
    oneBIGroom

oneBIGroom SSS

Member:
    First Name:
    SSS
    SSS
    Vehicle:
    SSS
    SSS
    TerraGrapplers

HD? What year? Love mine.

5. Jan 23, 2012 at 5:42 PM
    MI4x4Toy

MI4x4Toy The slowest build EVER!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    MI
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    My buddy has the yokohamas on his 03ish z71 1500. They are great in snow, but where my stock dunlops could go in 2wd most often took him 4wd. And the dunlops suck!

6. Jan 23, 2012 at 5:49 PM
    IGO4LOW

IGO4LOW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Fullerton, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4 w/ JBL Audio
    3" Procomp lift, 285/70 R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on Procomp series 6005 wheels, Fog lights on Anytime mod, illuminated oem fog switch, bed mat, all weather floormats, CB Radio in dash, alternating turn signal mod, automatic center console light. Blacked out badges, D2s in the grille.
    Terra Grapplers. Great tread life. I got over 50k on my last ones. And like tostidos said good for easy to moderate off roading. But they suck in sand.

7. Jan 24, 2012 at 3:18 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan [OP] Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    I have never got such mixed opinions on something. I have talked to a few different people since I started this poll/thread and out of 5 different people that either had experience or had a friend or family member that did, ALL said the same thing, that the Nitto's didn't last. Based on hearing this I decided and went ahead and ordered the Geolanders. Funny that right after ordering them is when everyone started chiming in on here. Anyway I'm content with my decision. I know the Nitto's would look better but I hadn't heard anything bad about the Geo's except a couple of hard to balance comments. But all said they last. The Nitto's seem to go from one extreme to the other about tread life. At least the Yoko's seem to have consistent opinions on the tread life. We'll see I guess. Thanks for your input.

Products Discussed in

To Top