Notices

Best tires for a commuter?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
mstyle88 is on a distinguished road
mstyle88's Tacoma Gallery
Question Best tires for a commuter?

Hey all-

I have an 01 Tacoma w/ TRD off road package with 160k miles that needs new tires. I never do any off-roading anymore and rarely use 4-wheeled drive. Most of my driving is commuting 50 miles round trip to work each day. After doing some searches, it seems best the best all around tire is the Hankook DynaPro ATM's. For my situation would you recommend these? Or is there a better tire for commuting? My budget would be comparable to the Hankooks - $150-$200 per tire at Discount Tire.

Thanks.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
I just got Yokohama Geolander ATS and love them so far. They ride great and are quiet. Only cost me $139 each from DTD after they beat Amazon's price of $140. Might want to check them out.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
NegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NegroTundra's Tacoma Gallery
Michelin LTX M/S two. Will last you another 100k and very little rolling resistance. Had mine on our old 1/2 ton chevy. They were down to the wear bars after 110k!!!
Old 02-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post
I just got Yokohama Geolander ATS and love them so far. They ride great and are quiet. Only cost me $139 each from DTD after they beat Amazon's price of $140. Might want to check them out.
Agreed. Ran them for 15k miles and had no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegroTundra View Post
Michelin LTX M/S two. Will last you another 100k and very little rolling resistance. Had mine on our old 1/2 ton chevy. They were down to the wear bars after 110k!!!
Had them on my Ranger and liked them a lot too, but they were pretty expensive.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #5
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstyle88 View Post
Hey all-

I have an 01 Tacoma w/ TRD off road package with 160k miles that needs new tires. I never do any off-roading anymore and rarely use 4-wheeled drive. Most of my driving is commuting 50 miles round trip to work each day. After doing some searches, it seems best the best all around tire is the Hankook DynaPro ATM's. For my situation would you recommend these? Or is there a better tire for commuting? My budget would be comparable to the Hankooks - $150-$200 per tire at Discount Tire.

Thanks.
I have goodyear wrangler silent armors. They have better tread than an all season/highway tire if you need them, and they are truley silent on the road. I have 45K on my set now and they have about 40% tread left.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
I have goodyear wrangler silent armors. They have better tread than a all season/highway tire if you need them, and they are truley silent on the road. I have 45K on my set now and they have about 40% tread left.
I second this. Love them.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
Orion Antares is on a distinguished road
Orion Antares's Tacoma Gallery
How well do those miracle Michelin LTX M/S2 tires handle max load towing?
Old 05-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
The Michelin LTX MS/2s are hands down the absolute best highway commuting tire money can buy for our trucks. Yes they are priced around $190-$200 a tire, BUT they are tried and proven. Read any reviews on Tire Rack or Discount Tire.com, these tires averaging 100K miles of use on them. Their wet and dry traction is EXCELLENT, tread wear is EXCELLENT, and they come with a 70K mile tread warranty, 3-years of free towing or road side assistance. Not to mention they only weigh 37-39lbs depending on the size in a P-rated tire, so your mpg will not be affected. As far as towing, the MS2s are rated higher than what our trucks can tow. Really the only drawback to these tires is looks and off-road abilities, but then again they weren't designed for off road use.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #9
bpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud of
Name: Jon
bpkrules's Tacoma Gallery
You will get 60,000 plus with these. Best DD tire, no, but its the cheapest and looks good. Way better bang for your buck!
Edit...
https://www.treadwright.com/p-41-265...dog-m-t-p.aspx
Old 05-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #10
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
Definetely look real hard at the Michelin LTX M/S2s. Confidence in driving.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:08 AM   #11
Orion Antares is on a distinguished road
Orion Antares's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post
The Michelin LTX MS/2s are hands down the absolute best highway commuting tire money can buy for our trucks. Yes they are priced around $190-$200 a tire, BUT they are tried and proven. Read any reviews on Tire Rack or Discount Tire.com, these tires averaging 100K miles of use on them. Their wet and dry traction is EXCELLENT, tread wear is EXCELLENT, and they come with a 70K mile tread warranty, 3-years of free towing or road side assistance. Not to mention they only weigh 37-39lbs depending on the size in a P-rated tire, so your mpg will not be affected. As far as towing, the MS2s are rated higher than what our trucks can tow. Really the only drawback to these tires is looks and off-road abilities, but then again they weren't designed for off road use.
The couple of reviews on tire rack aren't quite as glowing. One person reviewed them as having a pretty standard tire life, about 50k. Another person mentioned how his drive tires are already at 6/32 tread after 12k miles with frequent towing of loads that would be in the Tacoma's tow range.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:44 AM   #12
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Will the tires see snow/ice? If not and it's just a pavement pounder, I'd go with more of a H/T tire vs. an all-terrain geared tire. They're generally quieter and give you better fuel economy due to the less aggressive tread pattern. Michelin is one of the best names for long-range highway tires but they can be very pricey. Goodyear makes some excellent street tires also.

The Dynapros you mentioned are a good tire but, unless you're going to be in snow also, would be overkill for strictly pavement use.