Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Nitto Terra Grapplers Wearing Out FAST?!?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #1
veet skeet is a jewel in the roughveet skeet is a jewel in the roughveet skeet is a jewel in the roughveet skeet is a jewel in the rough

veet skeet's Tacoma Gallery
Nitto Terra Grapplers Wearing Out FAST?!?

I have had my Nitto Terra Grapplers for about 8,000-9,000 miles in a span of 6 months or so. Never have taken my car off road, it's been on the highway and around the city only. My buddy has had his BF Goodrich All-Terrains for over 3 years of driving 30,000+ miles and he has taken his truck off road over 20 times in that span. We have the same amount of tread left on our tires.
What the heck?!?!? How does that happen?

Did I just get a bad set of tires or do Nitto Terra Grapplers just wear out super fast?
Old 02-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't heard great things about the Nittos, the TW community seems to put them a little higher then other places I saw. When you get off of TW the reviews that I found were very mixed. Most negative reviews were due to wear.

Also, the BFG AT is known for lasting a long time. The downside to them is that that have a very soft rubber on the outermost parts of the tread so they grip great for the first 15-20k. Then as the tire wears the tread gets harder and harder. Lots of people get 50k+ miles out of these tho by then they're complaining about terrible grip.

One thing you have to keep in mind when reading reviews is that almost everyone posts a review on a tire site within days of buying their tires. It's best to talk to the people who sell them, or look at the reviews after people come back with a lot of mileage on the tire. I think on Tirerack you can sort reviews by mileage.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
veet skeet is a jewel in the roughveet skeet is a jewel in the roughveet skeet is a jewel in the roughveet skeet is a jewel in the rough

veet skeet's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I should've done more research before getting my tires :/

I was thinking about getting BFG AT's, Goodyear Duratracs, or Hankook Dynapros next...
Old 02-06-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
Houston's Swamp Rat
wrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
wrxRome's Tacoma Gallery
terra grapplers suck, same think happened to 2 of my friends, they wear down REALLY fast
Old 02-06-2012, 07:32 AM   #5
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
My BFG A/Ts had about 60K on them when I got rid of them, and I easily could have got another 5K out of them. They where great tires, the only time I ever had an issue with them was with wet traction. Turning from a stop and having to pick up speed quick I could feel the inside tire spin a bit, but other than that they where great. Far better traction in every (including wet) terrain than the stock Rugged Fails.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:08 AM   #7
RedBull
orangedevil37 is on a distinguished road

Marines: 0351 Assualtman 3rd Battalion, 6th Marines
orangedevil37's Tacoma Gallery
I have firestone MT's on my truck with 42000 on them and the tread is a half-3/4 tall. Great tire all around. Figured i would throw that out there. I have heard o people getting 70k out of them
Old 02-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Ive never had an issue with the Nittos, but as time goes by , Im hearing more and more about wear issues.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #9
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
I dont have any mileage numbers but my Nitto Tera Graplers wore down pretty fast and im usually 50/50 offroad onroad
Old 02-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #10
Bring Yuengling To MN!
angrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

angrysam's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have P-metrics or LTs? P-metrics typically come with upwards of 1/4" less tread than their LT counterparts. What does Nitto state the original tread depth? What tread depth are you at now?
Old 02-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #11
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Nittos, and when I was reading about them, for some reason I seen about 50/50. Half were saying they didn't last long, other half saying they got great miles out of them. I wonder if it has to do with location of user. Like colder weather or something along those lines. So far I like mine, but have not had them long enough to say about wear.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #12
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrysam View Post
Do you have P-metrics or LTs? P-metrics typically come with upwards of 1/4" less tread than their LT counterparts. What does Nitto state the original tread depth? What tread depth are you at now?
New depth is about 13/32's for the LT's.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #13
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
My nitto trail grappler mud terrains have 30k on them and still have good tread left...hmm
Old 02-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
Bfg a/t's are just that good.
Actually....they're not. They are marginal off road, and a 30+ year design. Most newer AT's are leaps and bounds better than the BFG's.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #16
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
The bfg's are loud for an all terrain too.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #17
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Don't the BFGs start off with more tread though?
Old 02-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJuice View Post
Don't the BFGs start off with more tread though?
Nope.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #19
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Nope.
just looked at it and given the tire size I chose, TG has 13.6/32nds BFG has 16/32nds
Old 02-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJuice View Post
just looked at it and given the tire size I chose, TG has 13.6/32nds BFG has 16/32nds
Interesting. The BFG's I had (last checked) had 14/32 new. They could be exagerating a bit. The Nittos were 13/32 dead on.