Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Biggest tire on 17" wheel, 3" lift?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-04-2008, 02:32 PM   #1
tacoma&R1rider is on a distinguished road
tacoma&R1rider's Tacoma Gallery
Biggest tire on 17" wheel, 3" lift?

Ok so I have an 07 trd 4x4 double cab, and Im about to install a 3" lift. What is the biggest size I can do with out rubbing uca, with stock wheels? I have 17" sport wheels. Pictures please!! Thanks
Old 12-04-2008, 02:34 PM   #2
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
you could go with some 285-65X17

im running 285-65X18's and the only time i rub is when im near full turn going over bumps
Old 12-04-2008, 03:01 PM   #3
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
285/70/17...but u'd need spacers to run any 285 on stockers i do believe
Old 12-04-2008, 05:11 PM   #4
26+6=1
redrazr is one of the sharper tools in the shedredrazr is one of the sharper tools in the shedredrazr is one of the sharper tools in the shedredrazr is one of the sharper tools in the shedredrazr is one of the sharper tools in the shedredrazr is one of the sharper tools in the shedredrazr is one of the sharper tools in the shedredrazr is one of the sharper tools in the shedredrazr is one of the sharper tools in the shedredrazr is one of the sharper tools in the shedredrazr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

redrazr's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to redrazr
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
285/70/17...but u'd need spacers to run any 285 on stockers i do believe
You mean like 1/4" spacers from wheelers? I might be getting some of those soon cuz my tires are rubbing the spindles.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:29 PM   #5
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrazr View Post
You mean like 1/4" spacers from wheelers? I might be getting some of those soon cuz my tires are rubbing the spindles.
i'm talking more like 1-1.5" spacers to keep from rubbing the UCA's. but i've never heard someone having rubbing issues w/ 265's on spindles
Old 12-04-2008, 05:39 PM   #6
26+6=1
redrazr is one of the sharper tools in the shedredrazr is one of the sharper tools in the shedredrazr is one of the sharper tools in the shedredrazr is one of the sharper tools in the shedredrazr is one of the sharper tools in the shedredrazr is one of the sharper tools in the shedredrazr is one of the sharper tools in the shedredrazr is one of the sharper tools in the shedredrazr is one of the sharper tools in the shedredrazr is one of the sharper tools in the shedredrazr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

redrazr's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to redrazr
Oh ok thanks man. yeah it's kinda weird that they're rubbing the spindles. hopefully the spacers will take care of it.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:35 PM   #7
Costco Gold Star Member
superHI is on a distinguished road

superHI's Tacoma Gallery
what are some good websites to buy wheel/tire combos?
Old 12-06-2008, 04:09 AM   #8
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by superHI View Post
what are some good websites to buy wheel/tire combos?
At the top of the page is a drop menu under Shop on line.The Tire Rack is a good place. ps. Welcome to TW.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:16 AM   #9
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma&R1rider View Post
Ok so I have an 07 trd 4x4 double cab, and Im about to install a 3" lift. What is the biggest size I can do with out rubbing uca, with stock wheels? I have 17" sport wheels. Pictures please!! Thanks
Using stock rims,the widest you can go & not rub your uca's is 265. Welcome to TW.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:29 PM   #11
nighthawk87 will become famous soon enoughnighthawk87 will become famous soon enough
nighthawk87's Tacoma Gallery
Do you absolutly need a 3" lift to run 265/70r17?

If so, what is the biggest tire I can fit on my stock 17" rims without a lift?
Old 12-28-2008, 09:41 PM   #12
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk87 View Post
Do you absolutly need a 3" lift to run 265/70r17?

If so, what is the biggest tire I can fit on my stock 17" rims without a lift?
you wont need a lift at all with 265's if you have a prerunner or 4x4 but the 265 is the largest size on the 17" rim with no lift.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:42 PM   #13
nighthawk87 will become famous soon enoughnighthawk87 will become famous soon enough
nighthawk87's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks!

I'm debating whether to just lift it and put 285's on from the get go..just don't have the cash yet....
Old 12-28-2008, 09:48 PM   #14
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk87 View Post
Thanks!

I'm debating whether to just lift it and put 285's on from the get go..just don't have the cash yet....
go for it i like the 3" lift and 285's
Old 12-29-2008, 02:13 PM   #15
bigtuck21 is on a distinguished road
Navy: IT2 USS Blue-Ridge
bigtuck21's Tacoma Gallery
I get my 3 inch lift this week and was all excited to go with 285/70/17. Sounds like I would need the spacers for that with my stock 17 wheels.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:17 PM   #16
East Bound and Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtuck21 View Post
I get my 3 inch lift this week and was all excited to go with 285/70/17. Sounds like I would need the spacers for that with my stock 17 wheels.
I ran my 285's with 1/4" spacers from auto zone for 30,000 miles with no problems. Maybe i was lucky but it worked for me to get enough clearance for the to work. They will still rub the uca at full lock both ways but i got used to it a learned how to park my limo in no time
Old 12-29-2008, 04:22 PM   #17
Ultimate Member
SLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to behold

SLOTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Same Question as original, but I put on new UCA's

Ive got a 3" lift and new AllPro UCA's so I'm not worried about rub on the UCA, but what is the largest tire I can run without rub issues on my 17" wheels. I don't mind cutting plastic in the wheel well, I just don't know if it will rub frame somewhere.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:15 PM   #18
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOTaco View Post
Same Question as original, but I put on new UCA's

Ive got a 3" lift and new AllPro UCA's so I'm not worried about rub on the UCA, but what is the largest tire I can run without rub issues on my 17" wheels. I don't mind cutting plastic in the wheel well, I just don't know if it will rub frame somewhere.
285/70/17 biggest size tire regarless of UCA's w/ 3" lift
Old 12-29-2008, 07:28 PM   #19
Ultimate Member
SLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to behold

SLOTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Tomorrow I am going to try to stuff 305/65 17's in there, they are .1" smaller diameter but .8" wider than 285/70 17's. I think I can make it work, probably need spacers but we'll see.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:34 PM   #20
Attack Life.
mpreiss is a jewel in the roughmpreiss is a jewel in the roughmpreiss is a jewel in the rough

mpreiss's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOTaco View Post
Tomorrow I am going to try to stuff 305/65 17's in there, they are .1" smaller diameter but .8" wider than 285/70 17's. I think I can make it work, probably need spacers but we'll see.
Let me know how that goes. I have a 3" lift and once my 265's that I've had on there before the lift wear out I'm going to go with 17's and the biggest tire I can fit.