Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Whats the difference between p rated and Lts?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-04-2008, 09:08 PM   #1
Rob Lewis is on a distinguished road
Army: 11 Bangaroo
Rob Lewis's Tacoma Gallery
Whats the difference between p rated and Lts?

Are you guy's running P rated tires or Lts? The price for the Lts tires is as much as a set of BFG KO's! I'm talking about the Destination TA's!

Help please!

Rob
Old 12-04-2008, 10:31 PM   #2
dabighi has a little shameless behaviour in the past
dabighi's Tacoma Gallery
P= passenger car, lower load rating
LT= light truck, higher load rating

be safe and go with the lt's
Old 12-05-2008, 02:21 AM   #3
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.nittotire.com/assets/safe...t%20Trucks.pdf

I have Nitto Terra Grappler all terrain P rated 265/70/17 and no problems with them.

My truck came with Dunlop Grandtrek at 20 P245/75/16 which are load rated at 2271lbs at 44PSI, but the sticker on the door says to have them at 29PSI which lowers the load rating even further.

I now have Nitto's P rated tires with a load rating of 2535lbs @ 35PSI and I have them at 38PSI.
So my P rated tires are safer than the stock tires.

P rated tires are lighter which saves MPG, softer which provides a better ride and cheaper. They are fine for normal offroading, not rock crawling and extreme stuff.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:45 PM   #4
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
If you're a serious offroader or tow often, get LT's. Otherwise, you don't need them. I have the Destination A/T's and, since I rarely go offroad and don't tow anything, I got P265/75/16's. The LT's will definitely affect your MPG if that's any concern.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:39 PM   #5
Rob Lewis is on a distinguished road
Army: 11 Bangaroo
Rob Lewis's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I talked to a tire guy and all he said was "You don't need 10plys It will ride like a tank!" I rarely tow anything heavier than a drift boat so I think I should be ok with the P's! Thanks again all who took the time to answer!

Rob