1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need Wheel Repair Advice

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Large Farva, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Feb 11, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    Large Farva

Large Farva [OP] Does this look like spit to you?

Member:
    First Name:
    Who's Barry Badrinath?
    Smyrna, GA
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB TRD Sport
    Black Bully Step Bars, Black Bull Bar, Black tailight guards, Flowmaster Duals, K&N CAI, Redline Hoodstruts, EZ Down Tailgate assist, TRD Skid Plate, SOCK Monkey Decals, Metal Miller Front Emblem, OEM Roof Rack, Blu Logic Bluetooth, YAKIMA Bike Racks, Tinted Windows, RockyMount Bike Racks, TRD Gas Cap, Shorty Antenna, Homer Taco's Satoshi, Wet Oaklies, Baja Roof Cargo Rack Future: Spindle Lift w/ 285's
    Okay, so I went to the Cactus Car wash here in Charleston, and the picture below shows the wheel damage I received while going through the car wash. Of course I didn't notice it until I got home and started waxing my truck (the car wash was closed by this time). I will go back up there tomorrow to talk to the manager, but I'm sure that won't get me very far. They will of course deny it, and I will argue but to no avail.
    SO my question is... Is this repairable? I was going to paint my wheels black this summer when I got my lift and new tires, but now I am unsure how they paint will hold up with damage like this. I'm sure it will be less noticeable because it is going to be black.
    I'm basically wondering if there is anyway to repair something like this or if I should just get new wheels eventually. Or maybe just paint it black and see if it looks worth a darn.
    Sorry, I'm just royally pissed and not sure what to do...

photo.jpg

2. Feb 11, 2012 at 6:37 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    A wheel repair place could take care of that easily.

But if you paint the wheels black as you noted you won't really be able to notice it. At least I don't on mine. Mine were curbed and silver when I bought them. Painted black and I never see it.

3. Feb 11, 2012 at 6:45 PM
    Large Farva

Member:
    First Name:
    Who's Barry Badrinath?
    Smyrna, GA
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB TRD Sport
    Black Bully Step Bars, Black Bull Bar, Black tailight guards, Flowmaster Duals, K&N CAI, Redline Hoodstruts, EZ Down Tailgate assist, TRD Skid Plate, SOCK Monkey Decals, Metal Miller Front Emblem, OEM Roof Rack, Blu Logic Bluetooth, YAKIMA Bike Racks, Tinted Windows, RockyMount Bike Racks, TRD Gas Cap, Shorty Antenna, Homer Taco's Satoshi, Wet Oaklies, Baja Roof Cargo Rack Future: Spindle Lift w/ 285's
    Cool, thanks man. Im hoping that it covers up easily with the paint as I don't really have the desire to buy a whole new set of wheels.

4. Feb 11, 2012 at 6:46 PM
    Twistedfreedom

Twistedfreedom welcome to the incredibuild

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    in progress
    modded the F*ck out
    JB weld, file, sand, repaint = fixed

5. Feb 11, 2012 at 6:48 PM
    TexasTacoma37

Member:
    JB weld, really? Does the paint stick to it?

6. Feb 11, 2012 at 6:48 PM
    Oat

Oat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2001 Prerunner
    Gibson Exhaust, Painted factory steel wheels, Chrome wheel caps, K&N Air intake, Tint, Regular Bilstein (yellow/blue) all around, Leveling spacer kit upfront, Partially de-badged, Westin Bullbar with skidplate, White, Double Cab Prerunner SR5
    just sand it down, paint it.

7. Feb 11, 2012 at 6:52 PM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    Ya, I think it will be just fine painted black. You will see it, but unless you point it out, no one else will. Just clean the dirt out of those scratches real good, paint will hold just fine. I would be pissed too by the way, but thats one of the reasons I stay away from car washes.

8. Feb 11, 2012 at 7:25 PM
    Large Farva

Member:
    First Name:
    Who's Barry Badrinath?
    Smyrna, GA
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB TRD Sport
    Yeah, I think i'm gonna try the painting route. I have always shied away from those car washes, but my friend uses them all the time and swears by them. Third time I've used one, and this is my result... Go figure...

9. Feb 11, 2012 at 7:30 PM
    Twistedfreedom

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    in progress
    modded the F*ck out
    yep I'll see if i can find the thread from bimmerwerkz there was a guy who scratched the hit out of his BBS race wheels, he filled the scratches in with JB weld, filed the basic profile into the lip then sanded it to be flush and painted. It came out amazing.

10. Feb 11, 2012 at 7:31 PM
    TexasTacoma37

Member:
    That is awesome. Please post the link.

11. Feb 11, 2012 at 7:34 PM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    Ya that sucks. You never know, maybe they will take care of you. The one car wash paid for my wife's antenna on her Chevy Equinox when it yanked it out. But an employee also witnessed it and we talked to them as soon as we got out. So who knows.

12. Feb 11, 2012 at 7:46 PM
    Twistedfreedom

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    in progress
    modded the F*ck out
  13. Feb 11, 2012 at 7:47 PM
    Twistedfreedom

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    in progress
    modded the F*ck out
    I was wrong they weren't his BBS wheels. but they came out great anyway.

14. Feb 11, 2012 at 8:45 PM
    Large Farva

Member:
    First Name:
    Who's Barry Badrinath?
    Smyrna, GA
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB TRD Sport
    hummmmm, thanks guys. I'll look into the repair stuff. I always just wanted stock wheels on a small lift with bigger tires. SO I am hoping that the wheel repair/painting works! Thanks for the link!

15. Feb 12, 2012 at 2:17 AM
    BBY2KS2K

BBY2KS2K Jon Stewart / Stephen Colbert 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner DC
    16x7.5 TRD Bronze "beadlock" wheels without the beadlocks w/ 265 70 16 Bridgestone Revo II tires (non-winter) 16x8 KMC Enduro w/ 265 70 16 Bridgestone Blizzak DMV-1 tires (winter) McGard Spline Drive lugs and locks, Satoshi Grill, BLHM, blacked out badges, Aries side steps, Smittybilt light bar with PIAA 540 plasma ion fogs, Aero-Turbine muffler
    A good repair shop should be able to take care of that. I curbed one of the Volks on my S2000 a couple years back pulling over for an ambulance (I hate the sound of aluminum on concrete) I had a local shop fix it for around $90. You can't tell the difference even if you were looking for it which is nice because these wheels are about $750 a piece now.

Before:

volk_f8c66dd85eb988d3390c1a228049513cbc761d73.jpg

volk1_1c6be2c50e582d334562f0952d1d558e75d6e5a5.jpg

After:

ce28n_7437e8b752eca31d96244f72b6e7895e4b88675d.jpg

16. Feb 12, 2012 at 1:34 PM
    Large Farva

Member:
    First Name:
    Who's Barry Badrinath?
    Smyrna, GA
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB TRD Sport
    So do you mean like a body shop or just a wheel place? I'm not sure who to go go to find a wheel shop...

17. Feb 12, 2012 at 1:42 PM
    tacomaprerunner

tacomaprerunner Dang liberals.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    1995 Ford F350 7.3L PowerStroke Diesel
    Don't worry about it. It's a scratch/scrape. Nothing to worry about. Your tacoma isn't gonna die. It doesn't need a band aid; rub some dirt in it. I'd hate to see what would happen if you got a small scratch in your door. Or if it got dirty. Might as well leave it in the garage.

18. Feb 12, 2012 at 3:59 PM
    Large Farva

Member:
    First Name:
    Who's Barry Badrinath?
    Smyrna, GA
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB TRD Sport
    You are right, and my truck does have plenty of dings and scratches. I was mainly pissed bc it happened in a car wash. I did talk to the manager this afternoon, and they offered me $100 (I think mainly due to the fact that I'm a lawyer) to get it repaired. So at least I got something.

19. Feb 12, 2012 at 5:52 PM
    BBY2KS2K

BBY2KS2K Jon Stewart / Stephen Colbert 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner DC
    16x7.5 TRD Bronze "beadlock" wheels without the beadlocks w/ 265 70 16 Bridgestone Revo II tires (non-winter) 16x8 KMC Enduro w/ 265 70 16 Bridgestone Blizzak DMV-1 tires (winter) McGard Spline Drive lugs and locks, Satoshi Grill, BLHM, blacked out badges, Aries side steps, Smittybilt light bar with PIAA 540 plasma ion fogs, Aero-Turbine muffler
    A wheel shop. Some body shops fix wheels but most contract it out. You could ask a reputable body shop to point you in the right direction. That's how I found the shop I went with.

20. Feb 12, 2012 at 9:15 PM
    shampoop

shampoop Well-Known Member

Member:
    southwest WA
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma extracab v6 auto trd offroad 4x4
    +1 on the jb weld, you can even powdercoat with it.

Products Discussed in

To Top