Need Wheel Repair Advice

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-11-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
Does this look like spit to you?
Large Farva will become famous soon enough

Name: Who's Barry Badrinath?
Large Farva's Tacoma Gallery
Need Wheel Repair Advice

Okay, so I went to the Cactus Car wash here in Charleston, and the picture below shows the wheel damage I received while going through the car wash. Of course I didn't notice it until I got home and started waxing my truck (the car wash was closed by this time). I will go back up there tomorrow to talk to the manager, but I'm sure that won't get me very far. They will of course deny it, and I will argue but to no avail.
SO my question is... Is this repairable? I was going to paint my wheels black this summer when I got my lift and new tires, but now I am unsure how they paint will hold up with damage like this. I'm sure it will be less noticeable because it is going to be black.
I'm basically wondering if there is anyway to repair something like this or if I should just get new wheels eventually. Or maybe just paint it black and see if it looks worth a darn.
Sorry, I'm just royally pissed and not sure what to do...
Attached Thumbnails
Need Wheel Repair Advice-photo.jpg  
Old 02-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
A wheel repair place could take care of that easily.

But if you paint the wheels black as you noted you won't really be able to notice it. At least I don't on mine. Mine were curbed and silver when I bought them. Painted black and I never see it.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #3

Cool, thanks man. Im hoping that it covers up easily with the paint as I don't really have the desire to buy a whole new set of wheels.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
JB weld, file, sand, repaint = fixed
Old 02-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #5
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedfreedom View Post
JB weld, file, sand, repaint = fixed
JB weld, really? Does the paint stick to it?
Old 02-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #7
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Ya, I think it will be just fine painted black. You will see it, but unless you point it out, no one else will. Just clean the dirt out of those scratches real good, paint will hold just fine. I would be pissed too by the way, but thats one of the reasons I stay away from car washes.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEVON911 View Post
Ya, I think it will be just fine painted black. You will see it, but unless you point it out, no one else will. Just clean the dirt out of those scratches real good, paint will hold just fine. I would be pissed too by the way, but thats one of the reasons I stay away from car washes.
Yeah, I think i'm gonna try the painting route. I have always shied away from those car washes, but my friend uses them all the time and swears by them. Third time I've used one, and this is my result... Go figure...
Old 02-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #9
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
JB weld, really? Does the paint stick to it?
yep I'll see if i can find the thread from bimmerwerkz there was a guy who scratched the hit out of his BBS race wheels, he filled the scratches in with JB weld, filed the basic profile into the lip then sanded it to be flush and painted. It came out amazing.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #10
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedfreedom View Post
yep I'll see if i can find the thread from bimmerwerkz there was a guy who scratched the hit out of his BBS race wheels, he filled the scratches in with JB weld, filed the basic profile into the lip then sanded it to be flush and painted. It came out amazing.
That is awesome. Please post the link.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #11
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Farva View Post
Yeah, I think i'm gonna try the painting route. I have always shied away from those car washes, but my friend uses them all the time and swears by them. Third time I've used one, and this is my result... Go figure...
Ya that sucks. You never know, maybe they will take care of you. The one car wash paid for my wife's antenna on her Chevy Equinox when it yanked it out. But an employee also witnessed it and we talked to them as soon as we got out. So who knows.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:46 PM   #12

start here
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/faq...tml#post621402
Old 02-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #13

I was wrong they weren't his BBS wheels. but they came out great anyway.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #14

hummmmm, thanks guys. I'll look into the repair stuff. I always just wanted stock wheels on a small lift with bigger tires. SO I am hoping that the wheel repair/painting works! Thanks for the link!
Old 02-12-2012, 02:17 AM   #15
Jon Stewart / Stephen Colbert 2016
BBY2KS2K has a spectacular aura aboutBBY2KS2K has a spectacular aura about

Navy: ET2/SS (Submarine Electronics Tech) 1996-2005
Name: Jason
BBY2KS2K's Tacoma Gallery
A good repair shop should be able to take care of that. I curbed one of the Volks on my S2000 a couple years back pulling over for an ambulance (I hate the sound of aluminum on concrete) I had a local shop fix it for around $90. You can't tell the difference even if you were looking for it which is nice because these wheels are about $750 a piece now.

Before:

After:

Old 02-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBY2KS2K View Post
A good repair shop should be able to take care of that. I curbed one of the Volks on my S2000 a couple years back pulling over for an ambulance (I hate the sound of aluminum on concrete) I had a local shop fix it for around $90. You can't tell the difference even if you were looking for it which is nice because these wheels are about $750 a piece now.

Before:

After:

So do you mean like a body shop or just a wheel place? I'm not sure who to go go to find a wheel shop...
Old 02-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #17
Dang liberals.
tacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
tacomaprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Don't worry about it. It's a scratch/scrape. Nothing to worry about. Your tacoma isn't gonna die. It doesn't need a band aid; rub some dirt in it. I'd hate to see what would happen if you got a small scratch in your door. Or if it got dirty. Might as well leave it in the garage.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaprerunner View Post
Don't worry about it. It's a scratch/scrape. Nothing to worry about. Your tacoma isn't gonna die. It doesn't need a band aid; rub some dirt in it. I'd hate to see what would happen if you got a small scratch in your door. Or if it got dirty. Might as well leave it in the garage.
You are right, and my truck does have plenty of dings and scratches. I was mainly pissed bc it happened in a car wash. I did talk to the manager this afternoon, and they offered me $100 (I think mainly due to the fact that I'm a lawyer) to get it repaired. So at least I got something.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #19
Jon Stewart / Stephen Colbert 2016
BBY2KS2K has a spectacular aura aboutBBY2KS2K has a spectacular aura about

Navy: ET2/SS (Submarine Electronics Tech) 1996-2005
Name: Jason
BBY2KS2K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Farva View Post
So do you mean like a body shop or just a wheel place? I'm not sure who to go go to find a wheel shop...
A wheel shop. Some body shops fix wheels but most contract it out. You could ask a reputable body shop to point you in the right direction. That's how I found the shop I went with.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #20
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
shampoop's Tacoma Gallery
+1 on the jb weld, you can even powdercoat with it.