Notices

PROCOMP 7089 16" VS 17"

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
Gabe911 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe911 has a spectacular aura about
Firefighter:
Gabe911's Tacoma Gallery
PROCOMP 7089 16" VS 17"

I have read enough in the threads that say the 16" will fit fine without rubbing the brake calipers. My question is for those running 16" and 285's are there any issues with balancing and would 17" make a difference?

Any other wheel recommendations?? thanks
Old 02-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
wheel/tire size between a 16/17 shouldnt have any effect on the balancing or not
Old 02-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
And almost all balancing issues are due to the tires, not the wheels.

i.e. uneven wear, lateral runout, radial runout.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
And almost all balancing issues are due to the tires, not the wheels.

i.e. uneven wear, lateral runout, radial runout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
wheel/tire size between a 16/17 shouldnt have any effect on the balancing or not
x2

...but you can run standard size tires on 17"s. I personally am more of a less wheel more tire type of guy. So I vote 16s
Old 02-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
💥💥💥💥💥💥
johnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: john
johnnym's Tacoma Gallery
I have 16s .tires are cheaper
Old 02-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
Gabe911 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe911 has a spectacular aura about
Firefighter:
Gabe911's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the comments good knowledge here really appreciate it...and I am the same ...more tire less wheel...it took me forever but its OME complete with 285 KM2's ...just have to pull the trigger on the wheels and put this stuff on ...this site has been awesome....should have my build page up with in a month...thanks again
Old 06-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
toyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
toyotatacomaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Older thread revival.

Just ordered these from Discount Tire in 17 inch. The guy said they were -8 offset, but said the computer didn't say what the backspacing is. He said there is only one option in their computer for this wheel in that size / lug pattern. Since I can only find them online in 4.5 backspacing, I am guessing that is what they are.

I guess my question is, is -8 offset correct? I'll be running 265 70 Duratracs on stock suspension and would prefer no trimming.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotatacomaTRD View Post
Older thread revival.

Just ordered these from Discount Tire in 17 inch. The guy said they were -8 offset, but said the computer didn't say what the backspacing is. He said there is only one option in their computer for this wheel in that size / lug pattern. Since I can only find them online in 4.5 backspacing, I am guessing that is what they are.

I guess my question is, is -8 offset correct? I'll be running 265 70 Duratracs on stock suspension and would prefer no trimming.
What is the width of the wheels? we need that in order to calculate backspacing.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #9
toyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
What is the width of the wheels? we need that in order to calculate backspacing.
17X8

Thanks! I was hoping you could help
Old 06-18-2012, 08:07 PM   #10
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
17X8

Thanks! I was hoping you could help
That would be approx 4.25" BS then.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #11

Quote:
So.. Do you think rubbing will be an issue?
Old 06-18-2012, 08:11 PM   #12
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So.. Do you think rubbing will be an issue?
Very minor rubbing on the black plastic, if any.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Very minor rubbing on the black plastic, if any.
I can live with that. I'll update after they are installed for future reference.

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-18-2012, 08:14 PM   #14
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I can live with that. I'll update after they are installed for future reference.

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-20-2012, 08:21 AM   #15
Scope3334 is a jewel in the roughScope3334 is a jewel in the roughScope3334 is a jewel in the rough
Law Enforcement:
Scope3334's Tacoma Gallery
Mine fit great. I had the 17"x8 with 265.70.17 with stock suspension with very very very little rubbing on mud flaps at full lock. Used some sand paper and took 1/8 inch off and was fine. Now with the OME 3" lift no rubbing.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scope3334 View Post
Mine fit great. I had the 17"x8 with 265.70.17 with stock suspension with very very very little rubbing on mud flaps at full lock. Used some sand paper and took 1/8 inch off and was fine. Now with the OME 3" lift no rubbing.
Good to know. Thanks!
Old 06-22-2012, 03:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Hey Keith-

My wheels came in today and I had them installed. I noticed on the box, they say "0" offset vs the "8" I was quoted. What does that make the backspacing now? I am wondering if it wont be enough....
Old 06-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #18
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey Keith-

My wheels came in today and I had them installed. I noticed on the box, they say "0" offset vs the "8" I was quoted. What does that make the backspacing now? I am wondering if it wont be enough....
That's would make them 4.5", you'll be good to go.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:51 PM   #19

Quote:
That's would make them 4.5", you'll be good to go.
You are the man! Thanks for all of your help.